Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Like Watching a Trainwreck....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Like Watching a Trainwreck....

Anyone catch the new series called "Man vs. Cartoon" ??

The idea is that a bunch of Engineers and Students of Engineering put some of the craziest Wile E. Coyote contraptions together and make them work in real life to actually "kill" a roadrunner.

This episode that I just saw was one where Wile E. had this really intricate series of events ( he slingshots a stick, allowing a water can to spill water and grow a flower, that strikes a match on a rock, which blows up some dynamite and send a boot with a brick flying to land on a see-saw that releases a mouse, who runs over and steals some cheese, which allows a weight to fall, which pulls the trigger on a rifle, who's projectile bounces off two plates, hits a cannon, that tips over and gets it fuse lit to fire a cannonball at the roadrunner ).

As always happens, the coyote gets drilled with the cannonball...

So, a group of (3) 2 person teams of students gear up to make the whole thing work in real life....

It was like watching a Train Wreck and I couldn't stop laughing. These big brained people have proved what I have ALWAYS said about Engineers - THEY HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY BUILT ANYTHING IN THEIR LIVES!!!!

OMG!! Their use of tools and their ideas about how to "stabilize" things - Oh, I was dying.... I was literally laughing so hard at one point I had to replay it just to see how much OVERTHINKING these two people put into a table, to support a slingshot.....

Anyone seen this masterpiece yet??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

Liked 1083 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I'll keep an eye out for it. Sounds hilarious. Like Mythbusters only done by people with degrees instead of experience.

What channel is it on?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love cartoons, and I love watching smart people be stupid. I'm sold. I'll buy it on DVD or something.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Anyone catch the new series called "Man vs. Cartoon" ??

It was like watching a Train Wreck and I couldn't stop laughing. These big brained people have proved what I have ALWAYS said about Engineers - THEY HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY BUILT ANYTHING IN THEIR LIVES!!!!

OMG!! Their use of tools and their ideas about how to "stabilize" things - Oh, I was dying.... I was literally laughing so hard at one point I had to replay it just to see how much OVERTHINKING these two people put into a table, to support a slingshot.....
The mark of a good engineer is the simplicity of design.

I can't count the number of engineers I have had to work with and the result was kinda hostle and heated. Don't get me started. I have worked with some great engineers, but they usually had hands on experience as well. My favorite two word phrase, "In theory."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are engineers who do design work, and there are engineers who design AND build things. I am one of the latter. Skullcrusher is right when he syas that hands on experience makes a better engineer. My design philosophy is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

TXnorton

Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

good god have you guys ever heard of GOOGLE?

Let me google that for you

Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Default Here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
good god have you guys ever heard of GOOGLE?

Let me google that for you
If anyone here ever wonders why I love a post by this Blunt, tell it exactly like it is man. Here is a typical Cpttango response. I love it. GO TANGO> HE!! YEAH.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like the engineers where my dad works. He works for Gibbs Racing and everything has to go thru engineering in order to make it on to a car. Well, if it works fine, it not, the engineers stand there like a monkey doing a math problem because they have NEVER ACTUALLY BUILT ANYTHING...

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I saw the comercials for Man vs Cartoon, but forgot to watch it . Looked like something I would want to watch. But if its just a bunch of nerds who haven't lifted a hammer before in their life trying to build Rube Goldberg machines, I'm going to pass.

Side note: Mythbusters is a fantastic show.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
There are engineers who do design work, and there are engineers who design AND build things. I am one of the latter. Skullcrusher is right when he syas that hands on experience makes a better engineer. My design philosophy is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

TXnorton
+1000
My Dad was one of the latter also. He also claimed that the simplest design was usually the best design. He designed an artificial heart in our basement in the 1970's. It was patented and it peaked the interest of Dr's DeBakey and Cooley at the University of Texas (?) who invited him down for the operation where they transplanted it into two dogs. They lived. He would come home from work, eat dinner, get a scotch, and sit down with a pad and pencil in front of the TV. He also designed an instrument used in corneal transplant surgery called a keratometer. It maps the radius of curvature of the cornea to allow transplant corneas to be better matched to their recipients, lowering the rejection rate. Before he died he was working on an artificial kidney - Several Dr's wanted to talk to him but by that time his alzheimers had progressed too far and he knew it, so his design died with him.

Quote:
But if its just a bunch of nerds who haven't lifted a hammer before in their life
Some inventions don't need to be designed by a mechanic to work properly. A good understanding & working knowledge of math, physics, and other sciences is sufficient.
Without Engineers, you would be wiping your a$$es with leaves and living in caves!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-15-2009 at 06:38 PM.