Lightbulbs-WTF? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lightbulbs-WTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Bite the bullet and get led bulbs they are pricey but will out live you.
I guess I'll try to find some the next go round. Probably about 2 months from now, the way it's been going.
I'm just PO'd that theyve taken 100+ year old technology that works fairly flawlessly, and rendered it absolutely useless just to make a few bucks.
Oh, and watch for new GM vehicles that have headlights on system. They always seem to have one headlight out. Just more of the same.

Gone turducken huntin'

Old 12-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #12

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've just replaced most of my house bulbs, inside and out, with LED's. They are so much better than the CFL's which take time to "warm up".

Yes, they are expensive as mentioned above, but the light is bright and instantaneous, and most of the bulbs consume less than $1.50 per year to operate, and have 50,000 hour lives. Love them.

How many of you have CFL tactical lights on your guns?

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Last edited by DP03; 12-06-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
No, it's an interior wall. Nothing has changed. Just buying new bulbs. Granted, it's a weird bulb size, I think we're just getting inferior crap from second and third world countries.
Who knows what is being used for the filament? Whatever it is, it isn't worth a flying fork.
try it in a different outlet for a bit that is on a different circuit. i still think something is up with your outlet or the lamp

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have not tried the leds, the cfls I can't stand. I have some can lights above the island in my kitchen, I replaced a couple of the bulbs with the so called comparable cfls, the difference in the amount of light in fixtures about 4' apart is huge. Going back to real light bulbs for as long as I can get them.

I did the same thing in my den replaced the 2 60 watt bulbs in the ceiling fixture with the cfl equivalent, I can't read in that room now without the desk lamp turned on.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #15

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
try it in a different outlet for a bit that is on a different circuit. i still think something is up with your outlet or the lamp
I'll break my outlet tester out and give it a shot. The lamp. I had it checked out last spring when I got po'd about the bulbs. Took it to the store where I bought it, it's a lamp store, that's all they do, and didn't find anything wrong with it. I'm back to the cheap azz bulbs.

Gone turducken huntin'

Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #16

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a stash of 100 watt incandescent light bulbs!
Buahahaha!!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #17

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Sounds like a small short in the socket of the lamp. Happens all the time. I love getting callbacks for blown lamps.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love lamp.

Seriously though, I swear they make them cheaper on purpose to try and get consumers to justify the cost of CFL and LED. Which I suppose isn't a terrible thing because of the cost savings in the long run.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6895 Times on 3465 Posts
Likes Given: 7484

2 going bad that quickly tells me they were defective or over-wattage for the socket/ shade.

I have replaced 99% of my Incandescent bulbs with CFL's but I havent been happy with them other than NRG Savings. Ive found most do not last nearly the 5 years most swear they will, I dont really like Fluorescent lite flicker and the idea that were purposely flooding the market with devices that have Mercury in them isnt so good either, just think how much of that is floating around the water supplies in China where most of our CFL's are made? I wish the Free market had prevailed when it came to NRG efficiency, Bush was more interested in placating than real progress so we now have cheaper CFL's taking up space on store shelves instead of LED's. Add to that there are at least 100 different lamp bases that cannot be replaced with a CFL because they just cant make a ballast that small and they dont seem to be the best solution for phasing out the simple incandescent bulb.

LED's are becoming affordable, they beat CFL's 10 to 1 as far as reliability, Light Quality, toxicity and longevity wise. I did get a bunch of LED's on Ebay (10 for less than $30 total) about 6 months ago, GU10's, they are awesome, about 1/3 the heat of the Incandescent ones and they draw less than 10% of the current, so far, all of them are working perfectly.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #20

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 733

boatme, you are getting 2 months out of a bulb? Good for you! I regularly get them that don't work out of the package. I don't think there's anything wrong with your lamp, or socket, just your bulbs. And I HATE those CFLs, they suck donkey balls. What makes them think I have 10 min to wait for max light in a closet I need to be in for 30 seconds? I'll have to look into LEDs.