Light loads and the AR-223 ?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Light loads and the AR-223 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Light loads and the AR-223 ?

I have a DPMS sweet 16 .223

I have loaded some light loads

13.7 grains of blue dot
40 grain nosler bullet

The load is accurate and I would like to shoot it in the gun but it will not cycle the action. About every fifth round will eject but not receive the next round.

I could change the load for more gas pressure but would like to use this round in this gun and my cz527-.223

There must be a way to mod the gas block on the AR so it would use the loads.

Increasing the size of the gas port in the barrel is only a thought that I am not willing to try without some real hands on advice.

The result of increasing the size of the gas port hole would result in more pressure that could then be reduced with a adjustable gas block for the heavy loads.

Like I said, this is just my thoughts and I have not tried the above.

Has anyone heard of a solution for the light loads, for the AR recycling issue..........RIck

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you want to shoot light loads, get yourself a .22LR conversion/upper. There's NO WAY I'd recommend enlarging the gas port size in order to shoot squib loads. You DO realize that even if it was safe, it would render that barrel useless for full power 5.56 rounds.

If you want an adjustable gas system, go with the Ruger SR-556.
Ruger SR-556™*Autoloading*Rifle (SR-556FB) Overview

Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Bohlmann, welcome to the forum, now where's your manors son? Jumping up all in here with that question. Please go introduce yourself in Introduction thread, so we can get to know you better.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3358 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Be very cautious when using pistol powders in rifles. Low load density can be a recipe for disaster. If the powder fills less than 80% of the case, you have a potential of a Kb (Kaboom). Some will say you should point the muzzle up and strike the stock or side of the receiver before firing to settle the powder toward the base of the case (and against the primer flash hole). I prefer to use a dacron filler to keep the powder positioned properly.

You will likely not get this or any other safe Blue Dot load to cycle an AR because the pistol powder pressures peak too early and will not send sufficient gas pressure down the gas tube.

I would strongly advise against using pistol powder in a rifle unless you are a VERY experienced handloader and are willing to accept a blown up rifle eventually. I blew a Mini-14 up about 24 years ago and stopped the practice of loading pistol powder in rifles cases.