LGS Ethics?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > LGS Ethics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default LGS Ethics?

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I chose the broadest of forum discussions. Anyway, here's the deal. I have a LGS that I am pretty committed to (I have my reasons), and they have the gun I want to purchase. Yay! But they for some reason have the pistol at a pretty high price It's a Springfield XDm 9mm Compact. They want $618 plus tax, and I am not willing to shop anywhere else locally. So what's the problem you ask? I can get the same exact gun at Bud's for $541 shipped Springfield 9mm 3.8 CMPT Black $541.00 SHIPS FREE

So now I am stuck as to what I should do. Do I give the LGS a chance to match the price, and if not buy it online and have it sent to his shop? Or do I just go ahead and order it online? I have very little faith that he could match a price thats $80 lower than his asking price. Please, what is the rule for such a situation?!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Liked 1166 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Whats the transfer fee going to cost you if you order from Buds? Add that to their price and see if your lgs can match that price.

Did you decide you wanted this gun by holding it in the lgs? If so I would feel some responsibility to support them.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Standing on the other side of the fence from you. . . . .

Even if I can't match a price from Bud's I still like being given the opportunity. And if a customer finds an awesome on-line deal that I can't even get close to, I try to be happy for them and their find, and take the transfer business.

It's a hard pill to swallow sometimes, but I'm pretty sure that your LGS is unaware of Bud's price point.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #4

After the transfer fee from Bud's it would be a grand total of $566. If i paid full price from the LGS the total would be $661. That's almost a $100 difference. I simply can't afford that much of a difference. I DID decide I liked it at the LGS and have been back a few times to see it. I would be willing to pay $600 OTD for it, but I just can't pay any more than that. Does that sound fair at all?

It's a really odd thing to point out, but he has his price listed almost exactly the same as Bud's for the gun with a SS slide http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72143

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

What's MO's sales tax?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is one of the jacked up tings about the industry. The MSRP on that is $705.

Just to give you some kind of idea, I just checked a distributor of mine and my wholesale price on that piece is less than $10 cheaper than Bud's. Plus, I've got to pay shipping to my shop, and overhead.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
What's MO's sales tax?
the sales tax for that county in MO is 7% on the money. If he sold it to me for $560, it would be $600 OTD. But that's still a pretty big price drop if he were to agree to it. I am not sure which path to take on this one

Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
This is one of the jacked up tings about the industry. The MSRP on that is $705.

Just to give you some kind of idea, I just checked a distributor of mine and my wholesale price on that piece is less than $10 cheaper than Bud's. Plus, I've got to pay shipping to my shop, and overhead.
Yea, that is kind of what I figured, HE would actually make more money on the $25 transfer fee than on the mark-up if he sold it for $560. Like you said, that is messed up.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I know how ya feel. I like supporting my local dealer too. But i get other intangables from being a regular longtime customer that keeps me coming back and giving him first crack at a gun sale or gun related product sale.

I get first shot at some REAL nice ammo deals, he calls me if a unique item comes in before he puts it for sale, and other little things like no hassles on oddball special orders etc. I dont mind the little extra it isnt gonna make or break me and it helps keep a local shop in business. The ptrice of driving to cabelas and back or gander mountain or one of the milwaukee shops is huge and greatly offsets the price diff.

The question is does it mean much to you to save up the extra $$$ vs losing your relationship with your dealer??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #10

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I say give him the chance to match or come down on his price. It's always best to try and support local business, more of what you spend locally gets returned to the community that way.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD