level 1 vest? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > level 1 vest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A medical bit of advice

Ok I have seen this thread go back and forth every body trotting out I was a storys about guns and ballistics and nothing about the vest itself or the medical aspect of a bad out of date vest. This is advice and personel experince as a medic and nurse in Iraq as well as a medic hear in the states and the affects of bad ballistic armor. A set of bad ballistic armor is like carrying a gun thats not loaded its a false sense of security In the event that ballistic armor fails it couses a wound far worse then it would have other wise. Most ballistic material does not degrade in a human body and old kevlar when it gets enough UV (from sun and normal ware) breaks down and looks like blown fiber glass. Its almost impossible to flush out of a wound and never heals. We gave the IA and IP a ton of used old vests mostly out dated PASGAT 1's from the 1980's when the where hit even by a minor projectile if the where in the vest they where mangled. If you PM me (the guy that started this thread not everyone) I will send you pics so you can decide for your self if its worth it. I dont know much about guns not realy my thing but wounds from guns I know very well. If you dont have a vest equal to what you think your threat will be ie 2 or 2A stay out of those areas or get a good pair of sneakers and run like hell. And from a probability perpective you will likely gey shanked for your camera not shot so a good stab guard might do you better and is way cheaper. I hope I can be of help I would much rather see you guys not shot at all.

Yours
Another medic

Old 09-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #22

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A cheaper alternative is to buy a large level IIIA trauma plate, and buy a plate carrier. Might be cheaper than buying a level II.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 09-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

ceramic plates are better than steel, just my 2 cents

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
ceramic plates are better than steel, just my 2 cents
Not to mention they don't set off metal detectors... Nevermind...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #25

Default Small Caliber Rounds Kill More People

In my humble opinion, a level I vest is adequate for civilian defense purposes. The rule of thumb is you should wear protection adequate to stop the caliber of the weapon you are armed with. If you carry heavier than .380, you may want to Step up to II or IIa protection. However, at that point I would rethink my risk profile and comfort level therein.

If your risk profile indicates Level II protection, than a high capacity 9mm handgun with at least one spare mag would be a reasonable expectation to accompany your load out. This all leads to encumberance and concealability issues. I personally would not go through the discomfort of wearing this much gear on a daily basis. After all, the majority of firearm fatalities in the United States are inflicted by small caliber rounds, and Level I protection can save your life in these cases.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Really now?

thread_necromancy.jpg  

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.