Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > level 1 vest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default level 1 vest?

Is it even worth wearing a level 1 bulletproof vest, if it only stops the maximum of a .380 round? I would think you'd spend twice the money and get a level 2 vest, right? Is this why level 1 is no longer even in the classification system?

Now, I would assume that any vest is better than NO vest, so a level 1 still has SOME value, right? Just wondering, because I've seen brand new, unissued level 1 vests sold as "collectibles" now, but not as actual vests. And they are cheap!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You need a chicken vest?

Usually they are service issued??

(Or are you one of those Bad Guys?)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You need a chicken vest?

Usually they are service issued??

(Or are you one of those Bad Guys?)
What kind of talk is that?!? My job has me carrying expensive equipment, late at night, in the city by myself. What is wrong with researching a little protection? I value my life and want to be here to see my three baby boys grow up and have families of their own.

I know we joke around a lot here on this forum, but I was looking for real answers. I can't afford a level 2 vest, but several brand new level 1's are offered cheap.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If that was my situation and a light-duty vest was the best i could afford, i'd be asking about adding metal plates to the center-of-mass areas of the vest. I don't know if that is safe/smart, but that is what i'd have on my mind.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If that was my situation and a light-duty vest was the best i could afford, i'd be asking about adding metal plates to the center-of-mass areas of the vest. I don't know if that is safe/smart, but that is what i'd have on my mind.
I'm probably better off saving up for a level 2 vest. I've made it five years with only minor issues, so hopefully it will stay that way.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #6

iba with sapi plates.weighs a ton but worth it...if u can buy em as a civi

""If we need a programmer, I just go down to engineering or the signals division. For marketing people, I go to the psychological operations division. There's a finance battalion where all the accountants work. And then, for just about any other job you might have, go to the infantry barracks ? those guys are trained to handle anything." ~ Clarence Briggs

two wrongs dont make a right, but it makes us even!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
What kind of talk is that?!? My job has me carrying expensive equipment, late at night, in the city by myself. What is wrong with researching a little protection? I value my life and want to be here to see my three baby boys grow up and have families of their own.

I know we joke around a lot here on this forum, but I was looking for real answers. I can't afford a level 2 vest, but several brand new level 1's are offered cheap.
I'll tell you what kind of talk that is;

If you think you need a bullet-proof vest you have two choices.
  1. Take a loan out and buy the best you can!
  2. Quit your job and stay home with your baby boys.

Why would you even contemplate taking a knife to a gun fight??? <<Real answer right there!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #8

i would get a level 2a its widley used and stops most rounds. You can find them forpretty cheap $300 to $400. where your price goes up a ton is for comfort you pay alot for flexability and comfort.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8446 Times on 3664 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

A word of caution on old vests. You know those things have a life span? Protection degrades as the fiber ages. I was involved with law enforcement in Colorado- when the vests for our LEOs hit the ex. date, we actually donated them to the Indian nation police officers on the reservations. They KNEW that they were at the end of their service life- but they had NOTHING- and felt something was better than nothing. Or in a pinch, doubled them up. But a level 1 that has degraded from age.........

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hear what everyone is saying and appreciate the advice. Civilians can still get a 2 and 2a vest, unless things have changed since Obama took office. I will probably save up for one.

I am a newspaper photographer, carrying about five grand in camera equip with me. I specialize in nightlife and music photography, so I spend a lot of time in clubs and bars in the city, late at night. The Texas CCP won't allow me to carry into these places, since they sell alcohol, so I'm defenseless back and forth from my car. I've been thinking about a vest for a long time, and these caught my eye, until I read the poor coverage that a class 1 gives:

New German Military Police Vest, Khaki, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified, New Never Issued German Military Surplus Police Vest Ballistic Body Armor Protection Safety Class 1 Level Second Chance at Sportsman's Guide

$89 with my SG discount is something I can afford. The $300 that I remember a class 2 vest being at a gun show last year is too much. Thanks for your input. I'll start saving for a good vest.