Lets say you are going away in the wilderness for 2 months, what would you bring??? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lets say you are going away in the wilderness for 2 months, what would you bring???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
All the bears will be sleeping, but kinda concerned about the wolves. There are larger pacts this year, and a few people were killed by them just north of where this place is at.
Anna, it kinda sounds like You're gonna do this!

If so, lots of great suggestions so far. As far as DVDs I'd have to add Cool Hand Luke, Cat Ballou, Jurassic Park, and dozens more. Being alone I might cool it on scary movies, but of course dinosaurs are very slow in the snow.

Definitely do not bring The Shining or any version of The Thing!

Now back to me... hmmm, no people. Hey can I bring a Cylon like Caprica 6? Or even Cherry 2000?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Up north for two months? Here's what I would bring:

My dog
22 rifle along with the other rifles you mentioned. Should have some time to do a little plinking.
A good set of field glasses and maybe a telescope. There's going to be a whole lot of night sky to look at.
A good astronomy app on an iPad.
A whole lot of books on the iPad.
A whole lot of movies on the the iPad.
A good bible program on the iPad.
An iPad.
For wolves? Capacity over power? 40 Xdm or M&P. Maybe 45.
And take along my laptop for everything the iPad won't do well.
have to remember there is no internet access there.

i am now thinking maybe a Kindle for books instead of the paperbacks.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #43
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
have to remember there is no internet access there.

i am now thinking maybe a Kindle for books instead of the paperbacks.
It's amazing how much you can cram onto those things now. Maybe not all HD, but it would work.

By the way Anna, have you watched the Band of Brothers series? That will keep you occupied for a few nights.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
It's amazing how much you can cram onto those things now. Maybe not all HD, but it would work.

By the way Anna, have you watched the Band of Brothers series? That will keep you occupied for a few nights.
i don't own a Kindle, but something like this, being away for two months, it would be easier to have the Kindle than a few boxes of paperbacks!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Anna, it kinda sounds like You're gonna do this!

Definitely do not bring The Shining or any version of The Thing!

Now back to me... hmmm, no people. Hey can I bring a Cylon like Caprica 6? Or even Cherry 2000?

Last year I brought the shining for kicks and giggles and thought it was kind of a lame movie. Again, I don't spook from ghosts things very well.
I do have the Lord of the Rings Trilogy packed.

Quote:

Band of Brothers is a great suggestion Scott. I havent seen that for a few years. I'll even bring the pacific version.

As for books, its mostly going to be school homework (medical and Chemistry)

I'd love to bring my CZ-455 Lux, but kind of concerned about packing that around when snowshoeing and wolves being in the area. I always feel more comfortable with my Galil. (once I came across a moose and surprised him before he knew I was there.) The 22 would be awesum to bring, but its so cold there that I wouldn't want to take it far from the lodge without having a heavier caliber. And the plane can only hold so much.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and suggestions so far. I am making a new list.

As for medical and toilet paper, they have all that there and all the canned goods you could eat. The variety of food would be nice to have, some easy to make suggestions would be great.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
1911 .45ACP. . then there are others.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1898 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5723

Quote:
Up north for two months? Here's what I would bring:.....
A good bible program on the iPad.
I was happy to see that someone else had this.
My 72 hour / extended pack has a bible in a zip lock bag.
People Like This 
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Along the Band of Brothers / The Pacific, get Generation Kill. If you haven't been it yet I have a feeling you'll love it.

Its made by the same guys as those other too. Its about the initial push into Iraq.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #48

Liked 2033 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

My reading glasses, 2 pair actually...just in case. I would bring a Bible, a study guide, sketch pad and pencil, camera, good hiking boots, Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag, Ruger 22/45 with 4 bricks of ammo, some sort of movie player with a bunch of movies. A deck of cards and some darts would be nice. Perhaps a PS3 or and X-Box would be in order if you will have a tv. That is not as much fun without an internet connection though.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 348 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 181

One thing I say I want to do and never have the time is to learn a new language, might be the perfect time to do that, and keep my mind busy. Plus if you don't tell anybody that your doing that, when they come to pick you up, and you speak to them in a different language you can really freak them out.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #50

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Ah, now I'm getting the picture! A Galil in 7.62×51mm and a .40S&W aren't bad at all. You might like a 10mm instead, but the .40S&W isn't bad. Of course lots of ammo for each. Being along, I'd sure limit any time outside. You just can't chance getting hurt and not being able to make it back inside. Might be wise to exercise inside.

A shame there's no phone or internet. Still a laptop is a great idea, and loaded with your ripped music&movies and the applications you normally use. MS Office, etc. can be run in standalone mode and are very useful for studying and even just increasing your proficiency in the apps. (Should have books or downloaded ebooks on how they work if the built in help is online not on disc.) And that's a good point with the laptop or kindle/tablet, the data must be downloaded to the device - normally we don't pay much attention but with no internet it's a big deal.

More ideas on DVDs... a little copy&paste from my favorites list...

Jurassic Park
Cat Ballou
War Of The Worlds (1953)
Forbidden Planet
Cool Hand Luke
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
The Last Detail
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
The African Queen
Summer Of '42
Jaws
We Were Soldiers
Full Metal Jacket
Shag
Chances Are
The Enemy Below
Sounder
Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation
Aliens
Pretty Woman
It Happens Every Spring
Quatermass And The Pit/Five Million Years To Earth
The Time Machine (1960)
The Terminator
As Good As It Gets
9 To 5
In The Heat Of The Night
Gone With The Wind
Time After Time
Fried Green Tomatoes
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This