Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Less than lethal home defence? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/less-than-lethal-home-defence-24346/)

zhuk 03-08-2010 01:21 AM

Less than lethal home defence?

This seems a bit weird. Someone please correct me if I have the wrong idea...but I thought in the US it was pretty much required to be in fear for your life to be able to use firearms as a reason for self defence (not sure of more gun-friendly individual States ie Texas/Florida etc)

If so, wouldn't 'less-than-lethal' rounds kinda negate that?

Also, would you really want some crim (possible tweaked out on meth or something) NOT to get stopped when you shoot them? :confused:

These Koosh Ball Bullets Make Getting Shot Look Friendly

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/da...gunshow_6a.jpg

By Rosa Golijan

January 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Look at these bullets. They’re rubbery, less lethal, “almost incapable of penetrating the body” and happen to resemble Koosh balls – a popular toy. Getting shot with these must be fun.

I’m kidding. I don’t really think getting shot by anything would be fun, but it’s really difficult to believe that “This may be the most intelligent way to defend your family against home intruders.” Especially when the “WARNING: Keep out of reach of children” is distracting me.

Either way, rubber projectiles like these have been used by law enforcement agencies for ages, but now they’re available to consumers. I’m not entirely sure that’s a good thing.

These Koosh Ball Bullets Make Getting Shot Look Friendly | Gizmodo Australia

High-Tech Guns: Digital Revolvers, Koosh Bullets and Triple-Tasers

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/da...gunshow_6b.jpg

Later this year, you will be able to buy rubber bullets for home defense. Lightfield has been selling these projectiles to law enforcement agencies and wildlife officials for years. Each round is filled with a soft projectile that resembles a koosh ball. They look like toys, because they’re made by a Chinese toy factory. The best thing about them is that they aren’t likely to kill someone even if they are fired at point blank range. They’re so soft that they’re almost incapable of penetrating the body.

High-Tech Guns: Digital Revolvers, Koosh Bullets and Triple-Tasers | Danger Room | Wired.com

Tackleberry1 03-08-2010 01:55 AM

Wow

This is almost the single dumbest thing I've ever seen.:rolleyes: Great for COP's, they've got 2 to 5 fellow officers with "deadly force" trained on the threat to ensure officer safety when these things fail.:eek:

IN 00 Buck I trust.:)

Rick1967 03-08-2010 02:25 AM

Hmm. I don't like the idea of not putting someone all the way down. If my life is not in danger I am not shooting anyway. I live in Colorado with the wonderful "Make My Day" law. But, I am still not going to shoot without reason. If criminals don't want to be shot with real bullets, perhaps they should try another line of work. I believe Burger King is hiring! I say that seriously. I have the utmost respect for anyone who has a real job...Burger King included. If a man works hard at a fast food job and needs a little help from the government to make ends meet, give it to him! That is something to be proud of!!!

dunerunner 03-08-2010 02:33 AM

It's dark, the BG is using the shadows to hide and you can't really get a shot, much less determine if he is armed. Then there is a noise from the other side of the room and you see a figure with what looks like a weapon.

You flip on the lights and there before you are two perps, not one. One has a nice Mossey with an OD sling and a very nice camo paint job on the stock, the other is carrying a little Walther PPK.

You, at that point, start to wonder whether the Lighfield Homedefender Nerf Poof rounds in your shotty are going to do the trick. :eek:

Rick1967 03-08-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 243193)
Hmm. I don't like the idea of not putting someone all the way down. If my life is not in danger I am not shooting anyway. I live in Colorado with the wonderful "Make My Day" law. But, I am still not going to shoot without reason. If criminals don't want to be shot with real bullets, perhaps they should try another line of work. I believe Burger King is hiring! I say that seriously. I have the utmost respect for anyone who has a real job...Burger King included. If a man works hard at a fast food job and needs a little help from the government to make ends meet, give it to him! That is something to be proud of!!!

I am sorry. Let me step down off this soap box.

zhuk 03-08-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 243183)
This is almost the single dumbest thing I've ever seen.:rolleyes: Great for COP's, they've got 2 to 5 fellow officers with "deadly force" trained on the threat to ensure officer safety when these things fail.:eek:

Well I guess you could always fire off a volley of koosh-awesomeness, then as the BG inevitably advances, just bludgeon him with the stock lol

Quote:

Quote:

If my life is not in danger I am not shooting anyway.

Exactly what I was getting at, Rick.

Quote:

If criminals don't want to be shot with real bullets, perhaps they should try another line of work. I believe Burger King is hiring!

Haha that's a classic! (again, no offence to hard-working people doing that line of work).

May have to possibly expropriate that, if you don't mind :D

Highpower 03-08-2010 03:06 AM

As you suggested zhuk, it pretty much varies from state to state in the US. And the laws within each state can vary quite a bit as well. As an example, in my home state we have what is referred to as a "castle law". Our castle law basically regards a persons home as their "castle". If an unwelcome individual enters your home without your permission, there is no burden for the homeowner to "prove" that any particular amount of force used against an intruder was necessary to protect their "castle". The law also extends to the interior of an individuals personal vehicle. Anyone who tries breaking into a home or vehicle occupied by the owner is automatically considered hostile and up to no good / doing harm.
Fire away.....

Outside of my home or vehicle, a totally different standard applies. :(

{2˘ deposited...}

DarinCraft 03-08-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 243183)

+1, what happens if the less lethal scenario turns lethal and all you have loaded up is fluffy bunny rounds. Not to mention the legal implications if you "improperly" use it and accidentally hurt the little angel. In LE it is actually worse to improperly use a tool and create death or GBI than it is to properly use lethal force in the same situation.

gorknoids 03-08-2010 04:33 AM

Who needs that when we have the Super Soaker 4000? Seriously, if you walk into my house uninvited, you won't be walking out. I feel threatened by anyone who breaks in, so it's all good. My Safe Room starts at the end of the driveway.

zhuk 03-08-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 243225)
As you suggested zhuk, it pretty much varies from state to state in the US. And the laws within each state can vary quite a bit as well. As an example, in my home state we have what is referred to as a "castle law". Our castle law basically regards a persons home as their "castle". If an unwelcome individual enters your home without your permission, there is no burden for the homeowner to "prove" that any particular amount of force used against an intruder was necessary to protect their "castle". The law also extends to the interior of an individuals personal vehicle. Anyone who tries breaking into a home or vehicle occupied by the owner is automatically considered hostile and up to no good / doing harm.
Fire away.....

Outside of my home or vehicle, a totally different standard applies. :(

{2˘ deposited...}

GodDAMN that sounds eminently sensible, Highpower.

Quote:

there is no burden for the homeowner to "prove" that any particular amount of force used against an intruder was necessary to protect their "castle"
Mmm, just let me roll that phrase around in my mouth for a few seconds...feels good...

I too consider than anyone caught breaking into your house to have already abrogated their right to be called an innocent & decent human being. Tough luck mate :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 243288)
Who needs that when we have the Super Soaker 4000? Seriously, if you walk into my house uninvited, you won't be walking out. I feel threatened by anyone who breaks in, so it's all good. My Safe Room starts at the end of the driveway.

Hey if you can't get a SuperSoaker, there's always Nerf :p

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/ass...33839e74_o.jpg