Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Legal question regarding small claims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Default Legal question regarding small claims

Is is possible for someone to have a small claims suit placed against them, and recieve a judgment in the plaintiffs favor without the defendant being notified of the suit, or asked to appear?

I've got a sailor who works for me, and an e-mail was received at the command stating that the sailor had been sued and had a judgement placed against him for $3500. The plaintiff is wanting information to garnish the member's wages. Checking public records we were able to find the judgement.

The e-mail was sent to the Master Chief here and I was called in to see if I had heard anything about it. The sailor in question was at a medical appointment at the end of the day, so I was not able to ask him anything about it until this morning.

When asked if he knew anything about a civil suit against him, he stated that he had no idea thta the suit existed, and that he received no notification. He does state thta he knows who the plaintiff is.

I'm just having a hard time believing thta he could have suit and a judgment against him without any knowledge of it. This can affect his security clearance.

I'd really like to hear from a lawyer on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 842 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Best thing for him to do is go see the base legal officer!!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20048 Times on 11401 Posts
Likes Given: 50585

best suggestion would be for him to get a lawyer to sort this out.

IMO, i can't see how they can find him at fault or guilty and place a judgement against him without him being there. if so, then anyone could sue anyone else without them being there and be able to win a judgement in the case.

my brother in the course of his business has been sued a couple of times in small claims court and he was always notified by certified letter from the court. and he always used a lawyer, even in small claims court.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

This sailor is newly reporting, and arrived with a lot of problems. He's been caught in several lies. So, I am doubting that he couold have been sued, had a judgement and not know about it.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If he moved around enough it is possible he never got the notices. Happened to a friend of mine. Supposedly.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 782 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Likely somebody falsified service

Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

When you are sued, you are served notice. That can be by certified mail, delivered in person, or a copy left at your place of residence (have seen deputies that carry a staple gun to secure them to the front door).

Advice to him- get your butt to the JAG officer. While they cannot represent you in a civil court matter, they can advise.

Advice to you- watch him. Talk to his Chief as well. Something smells. And while his civvy problems are his civvy problems, the traits, habits and characteristics that CAUSE a lot of civvy problems are ALSO going to cause military problems.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #8

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

First of all, agree 100% with talking to an attorney or legal officer. The following is very general information only, and may vary depending on the specific jurisdiction.

But . . . LACK OF NOTICE IS A BASIS FOR OVERTURNING THE JUDGMENT, AND RE-SETTING THE CASE FOR TRIAL. BUT THERE IS A TIME LIMIT ON FILING THE MOTION TO DO THIS, SO SEE AN ATTORNEY ASAP.

Now, just because he may not have been aware of the lawsuit does not mean he did not get "legal notice" -- e.g. if the plantiff used due dilegence to find the defendant, and the defendant absolutely could not be located, then sometimes legal notice is satisfied by posting notice in the newpaper, or physically posting it in the courthouse.

The clerk of the court which issued the judgement should be called, and asked what the certificate of service shows.

Once more, this should be done ASAP.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6099 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 11721

My mother-in-law gave notice of intent to divorce by posting it in the newspaper in the legal notices section.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
This sailor is newly reporting, and arrived with a lot of problems. He's been caught in several lies. So, I am doubting that he couold have been sued, had a judgement and not know about it.
Is this guy in the Personal (or is it Personell) Reliability Program (PRP) or does the Navy even use that anymore?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly