Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Legal concern in California .410 Saiga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Legal concern in California .410 Saiga

Hey guys, Ive read up a bunch of regulations but I am unclear on some definitions. So, if any experienced users in California could give me a hand it'd be much appreciated.

So, I want a .410 Saiga and am unclear on legal issues concerning owning one in California. Since it is smooth bore, I would think it automatically cannot be considered an assault rifle (since by default it is not a rifle) even though it has a detachable magazine and many variants have a pistol grip and there are collapsible stocks available for it too. However, since it is smooth bore does it automatically qualify as a shotgun? Because there is also a regulation that any semi automatic shotgun with a detachable magazine is illegal in CA.

Also, what is the legal definition of "carbine"? Is it rifle but shorter or is it same as rifle but smoothbore?

I have done a lot of googling but have so far gotten very mixed information.

Thanks for any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Talk to a lawyer

Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m
Talk to a lawyer
Now that that is out of the way I am not a lawyer so take my advice for what it is
You said any semi auto shotgun with a detachable mag is illegal so there you go you answered your own question it's proably illegal

Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pretty much the question here was if legally a smooth bore weapon automatically considered a shotgun. Gun control law here seems to have a lot of gray areas

Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

You will have to have the weapon transferred to you by a dealer so check with the dealer as to whether is is a legal firearm in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornistan. If it is not legal he wont transfer it. There is a list of approved weapons so you might check the DOJ website. I dont know how the ban on lead projectiles affects ammo for these. I dont know if the ban is just for hunting or on all ammo. The best thing to do is escape to a free state.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."