Lectured by the local PD chief
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lectured by the local PD chief

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1047 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Default Lectured by the local PD chief

I live in a 15 yo spec sub, and we get a LOT of contractors coming through. Last Friday aft I looked through the peeper and already my warning bells were going off, the "contractor" was off the front porch. As I'm opening the door, his hand is about 7:30 (left side) position. Maybe just an itch, but six months ago would have never even noticed it... I'm carrying loosely concealed and at that point regretting being concealed at all. He give me a quick speal about quoting exterior mods. I quickly said not thank you, closed and locked the door.

More I thought about it, the more warning bells kept going off... didn't recognize it at the time, but he had no clip board, no brochures, and no logo'd clothing. Called our Chief today (personally know him), and he wondered why if I had that many warning bells going off, I didn't call them. Also told me that permits are required for door to door sales, which gives them a reason suspicion to stop someone.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I live in a 15 yo spec sub, and we get a LOT of contractors coming through. Last Friday aft I looked through the peeper and already my warning bells were going off, the "contractor" was off the front porch. As I'm opening the door, his hand is about 7:30 (left side) position. Maybe just an itch, but six months ago would have never even noticed it... I'm carrying loosely concealed and at that point regretting being concealed at all. He give me a quick speal about quoting exterior mods. I quickly said not thank you, closed and locked the door.

More I thought about it, the more warning bells kept going off... didn't recognize it at the time, but he had no clip board, no brochures, and no logo'd clothing. Called our Chief today (personally know him), and he wondered why if I had that many warning bells going off, I didn't call them. Also told me that permits are required for door to door sales, which gives them a reason suspicion to stop someone.
i live in a very small town in a quiet part of wisconsin and my policy is answer a doorbell with xdm/1911 in hand. last time it was a neighbor kidlet selling cookies with her mom... had to buy cookies one handed!!

better safe than sorry. finally got the wife trained to answer the door if she must with her xdm in hand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9854

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
iad to buy cookies one handed!!
I just say "Hold on a minute" and set the gun down on a nearby piece of furniture.

I also live in a small town. When someone comes to the door offering home repair services or selling magazines, basically anyone other than a school child or scouts, I call the police who promptly come to check them for permits.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

I just say "Hold on a minute" and set the gun down on a nearby piece of furniture.

I also live in a small town. When someone comes to the door offering home repair services or selling magazines, basically anyone other than a school child or scouts, I call the police who promptly come to check them for permits.
What state is it that requires permits for door to door sales? I live in indiana and its not very often but i get them too, one company that is especially annoying is a steakhouse in louisville that comes around in a chevy truck with a freezer selling meat.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Any door bell that rings should put one on alert.
Otherwise what good is a doorbell and door that is
orginally an intent of protection? I'd have the same
attitude if it was a woman scantitly attired and wet.
(I hope)

Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
What state is it that requires permits for door to door sales? I live in indiana and its not very often but i get them too, one company that is especially annoying is a steakhouse in louisville that comes around in a chevy truck with a freezer selling meat.
Same idiots drove up my driveway this summer. I had just finished up
cleaning my AR in the shop and walk out to meet them with my AR over
my shoulder with a magazine loaded...

They nervously started their rehearsed shpeal, I stopped them short and
asked do you think I need to buy beef, as I was pointing to my cattle.
Before they answered I said, "You can leave now." They did not waste
anytime.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I don't open the door. If I need it I will go buy it. I don't need someone scoping out the inside of my house as I open the door to see all the neat stuff I worked for.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I don't open the door. If I need it I will go buy it. I don't need someone scoping out the inside of my house as I open the door to see all the neat stuff I worked for.
AHHH but nothing detracts the door to door folks like like a 1911 in plain sight!

USED to have a Jehovas witnesses come a calling....one morning i opened the door in my boxers with the 1911 strapped to my hip. I wonder why they've never come back?!!?

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

AHHH but nothing detracts the door to door folks like like a 1911 in plain sight!

USED to have a Jehovas witnesses come a calling....one morning i opened the door in my boxers with the 1911 strapped to my hip. I wonder why they've never come back?!!?
Thats funny...thought about answering the door in a white wifebeater, with fake billy bob teeth in, in my boxers, standin in steel toed boots (unlaced of course) with my 1911 tucked in the front of my boxers. Oh and with a tall boy budweiser in hand

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

I did the same thing to those Jehovah's witnesses. In my tighty Whites with my 1911. They quit coming around. My dog, Aust sheppard, Chow mix get's all Cujo at the door bell or knock. Most people leave as soon as he get's to the door. We require a door to door permit for the sales people too. Most of ours now days are the neighborhood kids selling cookies and candy. We have a loft that over looks the front entry. If my wife answers for a stranger I am normally there on high with my sights on the target (the floor in front of the door) safety first.