Leaving a gun in leather holster

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Leaving a gun in leather holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
cbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Leaving a gun in leather holster

Ok ye of more wisdom...Is it OK or advisable to leave a (blued) gun in a leather holster. I have heard that leather draws in moisture and will mark the gun. Is this true? If not the holster then what should I be keeping it in. Yes I have gun safes (thanx for keeping us all safe)

CBW

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Leather WILL retain moisture.
Keeping a firearm in a leather holster WILL cause it to rust.

Store the firearm out of any holster, and store it so it's not laying down... like some pics show a short dowel or shotgun shell thru the trigger guard.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

The chemicals used to tan leather generally are the same things that eat steel. If addition, leather can attract moisture from the air. Don't leave a gun in a leather holster, or the "mark" will be rust.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
cbw

thanx for your input, I believe I'll follow both of your advice. One holster site on the net said it was no problem. Go figure..

Old 09-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
cbw

Why not laying down? They have to be in my smaller gun safes.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I also heard that leaving a gun in a plastic case with the foam inside that holds the gun tight will also draw moisture and cause the gun to rust. A friend of mine left his 870 in a Dosko shotgun case for about 4 months and it had some surface rust when he took it out.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Jay

I don't like to lay a handgun down for a week or more, due to the possibility of trapping moisture between the handgun and the material. That could be just me being a bit anal about it. I have seen friends that lay their handguns on the brown corrosion-inhibitor paper that ships with some new handguns.

I use a few of these....

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=953075

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
cbw

Default Mosture on guns in storage

Jay,

Are you saying that the new 40 cal EMP Springfield that I just got should not be kept in the plastic foam lined case that Springfield provided me? Of course i plan on having it with me if Ican find a good holster, I'm not sure about the plastic or carbon fiber one that came with it. My dealer got down on leather as it ate the bluing off of one of his and also my Colt Frontiersman barrel has some rust spots on it from being left in the leather holster. That's what stated this thread.

CBW

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #9

What if you put one or two of those moisture absorbing packets in the case with the gun. You know the kind that come in the beef jerky packages.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Jay

Quote:
Are you saying that the new 40 cal EMP Springfield that I just got should not be kept in the plastic foam lined case that Springfield provided me?
Yes sir, that's what I'm saying. My Springfield XD9 came in its hard plastic case, laying on the foam, INSIDE of a plastic bag with a dessicant pack inside the bag. I have no problem with that. I do have an opinion that OUTSIDE the plastic bag with dessicant pack, I would not store any firearm laying on any porus material. The foam that is inside hard plastic pistol cases, is porus, and IT WILL RETAIN MOISTURE...... just like leather will, and there is a very good chance of rust forming on any firearm stored in there for more than a couple of weeks. I have seen it happen, but not to me.

If you have to lay your pistol down in your safe, consider putting it inside a plastic bag with an oil-dampened patch in there too. If you take the pistol out daily for carry, or every few days, for whatever reason, and wipe it down, you shouldn't have a problem at all.

They're YOUR firearms...... and this is just my opinion.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys