Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Leaving a gun in leather holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/leaving-gun-leather-holster-6827/)

cbw 09-06-2008 04:32 PM

Leaving a gun in leather holster

Ok ye of more wisdom...Is it OK or advisable to leave a (blued) gun in a leather holster. I have heard that leather draws in moisture and will mark the gun. Is this true? If not the holster then what should I be keeping it in. Yes I have gun safes (thanx for keeping us all safe)

CBW

Jay 09-06-2008 05:55 PM

Leather WILL retain moisture.
Keeping a firearm in a leather holster WILL cause it to rust.

Store the firearm out of any holster, and store it so it's not laying down... like some pics show a short dowel or shotgun shell thru the trigger guard.

c3shooter 09-06-2008 10:56 PM

The chemicals used to tan leather generally are the same things that eat steel. If addition, leather can attract moisture from the air. Don't leave a gun in a leather holster, or the "mark" will be rust.

cbw 09-07-2008 02:23 AM

thanx for your input, I believe I'll follow both of your advice. One holster site on the net said it was no problem. Go figure..

cbw 09-07-2008 02:24 AM

Why not laying down? They have to be in my smaller gun safes.

dragunovsks 09-07-2008 04:37 AM

I also heard that leaving a gun in a plastic case with the foam inside that holds the gun tight will also draw moisture and cause the gun to rust. A friend of mine left his 870 in a Dosko shotgun case for about 4 months and it had some surface rust when he took it out.

Jay 09-07-2008 10:53 AM

I don't like to lay a handgun down for a week or more, due to the possibility of trapping moisture between the handgun and the material. That could be just me being a bit anal about it. I have seen friends that lay their handguns on the brown corrosion-inhibitor paper that ships with some new handguns.

I use a few of these....

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=953075

cbw 09-25-2008 02:31 AM

Mosture on guns in storage

Jay,

Are you saying that the new 40 cal EMP Springfield that I just got should not be kept in the plastic foam lined case that Springfield provided me? Of course i plan on having it with me if Ican find a good holster, I'm not sure about the plastic or carbon fiber one that came with it. My dealer got down on leather as it ate the bluing off of one of his and also my Colt Frontiersman barrel has some rust spots on it from being left in the leather holster. That's what stated this thread.

CBW

cmarjeep 09-25-2008 04:39 AM

What if you put one or two of those moisture absorbing packets in the case with the gun. You know the kind that come in the beef jerky packages.

Jay 09-25-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Are you saying that the new 40 cal EMP Springfield that I just got should not be kept in the plastic foam lined case that Springfield provided me?
Yes sir, that's what I'm saying. My Springfield XD9 came in its hard plastic case, laying on the foam, INSIDE of a plastic bag with a dessicant pack inside the bag. I have no problem with that. I do have an opinion that OUTSIDE the plastic bag with dessicant pack, I would not store any firearm laying on any porus material. The foam that is inside hard plastic pistol cases, is porus, and IT WILL RETAIN MOISTURE...... just like leather will, and there is a very good chance of rust forming on any firearm stored in there for more than a couple of weeks. I have seen it happen, but not to me.

If you have to lay your pistol down in your safe, consider putting it inside a plastic bag with an oil-dampened patch in there too. If you take the pistol out daily for carry, or every few days, for whatever reason, and wipe it down, you shouldn't have a problem at all.

They're YOUR firearms...... and this is just my opinion.