Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Laws in kansas for protecting yourself from a loose dangerous dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This isnt quoting Kansas law BUT, you have a right to protect yourself against a charging animal regardless where you are. If you live inside city limits and you shoot a charging dog,you will usually be fine there but may be charged for discharging a firearm inside city limits. If you live in a rural area, alot of counties dont have a animal control department "they dont in oklahoma anyways". Its the animal owners responsibility to make sure their dogs are not running loose. If its an on-going problem with a particular dog, its best to notify the owner and tell him about the problem "thats if you have reasonable time too" just for CYA. However if you are attacked by any dog and you shoot and kill it,you are not liable.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah this happened last night and the animal control were I live is an absolute joke. And nobody has showed up yet. I would like to add the only reason I pulled that trigger is because I have children and wouldn't know what to do if one of them got attacked by a mean dog so I gave it the benefit of the doubt and it got a warning shot. Truth be told I won't miss again

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy88
Any body know Kansas law about self defense when it comes to dealing with a mean loose dog? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I live in MO and have lived in KS. If the dog is on your property, and it's immediate danger (the dog attacks you), you have total right to protect yourself. However, you have posted about it so given the time of the incident and you posting, you need to report the dog (it can be anonymous).
Now you have a paper trail. You have reported it and now have the law in your favor... If it has no owner, it's the same as being attacked by a wolf (you would shoot it). If it has an owner, the owner is totally and solely responsible. If the dog threatens you and you have reported it, shoot the dog, call the authorities and report it. Then call the owner and report it to him, be nice, tell him you feel bad but had to do what you had to do. Then tell him you understand although you know he is responsible for the dog, you do not hold him accountable and are not going to pursue charges against him and tell him you have also told the authorities that you do not hold him responsible or think he meant any harm... That's what I know and, what I have done.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #14

Please understand that I love dogs... I have 2 (a mutt and a lab). I also have a big heart and feed dogs that wonder around. But, a violent dog is just that and my son was attacked at 4 years old in our yard by a neighbors dog that was beat, teased, etc. by the owner. It's not the animals fault but, you have to protect yourself. It sucks to kill something if it's not for eating, sport (which controls population, etc). But if a dog attacks, there is only one thing the dog is trying to do and it ain't to play!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacobson

I live in MO and have lived in KS. If the dog is on your property, and it's immediate danger (the dog attacks you), you have total right to protect yourself. However, you have posted about it so given the time of the incident and you posting, you need to report the dog (it can be anonymous).
Now you have a paper trail. You have reported it and now have the law in your favor... If it has no owner, it's the same as being attacked by a wolf (you would shoot it). If it has an owner, the owner is totally and solely responsible. If the dog threatens you and you have reported it, shoot the dog, call the authorities and report it. Then call the owner and report it to him, be nice, tell him you feel bad but had to do what you had to do. Then tell him you understand although you know he is responsible for the dog, you do not hold him accountable and are not going to pursue charges against him and tell him you have also told the authorities that you do not hold him responsible or think he meant any harm... That's what I know and, what I have done.
I think the dog is owned cause I seen a collar around its neck but I have no clue where this dog came from. I was mainly just worried about my children who let themselves outside all the time and of course my guns.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy88

I think the dog is owned cause I seen a collar around its neck but I have no clue where this dog came from. I was mainly just worried about my children who let themselves outside all the time and of course my guns.
I would call animal control first. Tell the kids to walk (not run) inside if the dog comes around. If animal control does nothing and the dog is mean... I would do a controlled kill, find a deep hauler in the cover of darkness and forget about it... Just my opinion.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I understand completely and this was at 2 o'clock in the morning so if I wanted to I could have shot the dog but chose a warning first and we will see if the dog comes back and if it does I will call animal control and wait for a response and if I don't get one I will have to take it upon myself. Where I live there are easily 50 small children that run all over the place and that would make an easy target for a vicious dog and truth be told I don't want that at all.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Kansas law is pretty clear on self defense.
if you are indeed DEFENDING yourself from a valid danger, you'll have nothing to fret when the cops come a knockin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy88 View Post
Those damn gun thieving dogs...m

Quote:
I understand completely and this was at 2 o'clock in the morning so if I wanted to I could have shot the dog but chose a warning first and we will see if the dog comes back and if it does I will call animal control and wait for a response and if I don't get one I will have to take it upon myself. Where I live there are easily 50 small children that run all over the place and that would make an easy target for a vicious dog and truth be told I don't want that at all.
If your kids were up at 2am, the dog isn't what you're needing to worry about.

What part of KS?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 06-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
Kansas law is pretty clear on self defense.
if you are indeed DEFENDING yourself from a valid danger, you'll have nothing to fret when the cops come a knockin.

Those damn gun thieving dogs...m

If your kids were up at 2am, the dog isn't what you're needing to worry about.

What part of KS?
LOL! I didn't catch that...

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 789 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Warning shots can get you in more trouble then shooting a dog.