Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Laws in kansas for protecting yourself from a loose dangerous dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Laws in kansas for protecting yourself from a loose dangerous dog?

Any body know Kansas law about self defense when it comes to dealing with a mean loose dog? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #2

Liked 2230 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 2167

What if it's against the law? Are you not going to defend yourself?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy88
Any body know Kansas law about self defense when it comes to dealing with a mean loose dog? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
First off, i know NOTHING about kansas laws. If the dog is loose i would suggest calling the aspca or animal control. If that doesn't solve the problem and you have a legitimate reason to fear what the dog may do, shoot it. It's an animal not a person, this could however, lead to being sued if the dog has an owner, or facing criminal charges if you shoot it within city limits, but again i don't know kansas law.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I wish I had a answer,tell us more are you in the country or city?

I live in the country and have a neighbor that collects strays,his last stray that showed up looks like a pit bull/boxer mix?...I don't want to shoot my neighbors dog,that's tough on neighborly relations. I keep alot of roman candles on hand and when he charges I wait till the dog's just about 30 feet away and fire up a roman candle on his Azz lol

Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 160

what are kansas laws on self defense. Doesn't matter how you fear for your life.

I've never understood the standard of not shooting an attacking dog, "because it's not the dogs fault", but will justify going rambo on a bad guy with nefarious intent.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

If you are honestly in no-kidding, immediate danger, the writing on some document somewhere is pretty low on the list of concerns. Do what's needed. However, if it's simply annoying/nuisance, call animal control.
Google your town/city/county, most places anymore have links to their ordinances if you dig a little bit.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

If it attacks, shoot that pooch.
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusksst47_229_47_835.htm

dog.jpeg  

Last edited by Ranger-6; 06-05-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Call the Sheriff and ask, I had to when my neighbors decided to start keeping 2 100 pound pits next door named "Mac 10" and "Kilo", Both aggressive. We have a dozen children from ages 2-10 running between 3 houses and half a dozen small dogs between all the homes as well.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I live in city limits and I was outside on my porch enjoying a cigarette and this huge boxer just showed up growling and barking so I went inside and just ignored it and it went away. But an hour later it came back on my porch and was barking and growling at me as I watched it through my sliding glass door. So I went and got something that barks back ( high standard .45 acp) and stepped out side and it started to charge so I shot the ground next to it and it bolted and I haven't seen it since. And after the fact did I realize that I could have run the risk of loosing guns. So I posted a thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

eh, if no one's showed up yet, how long ago was this?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.