Lawnmower: I Need One - But What One? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Lawnmower: I Need One - But What One?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3495 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I use a Jamaican named Dumas. Lawnmower:  I Need One - But What One? - The Club House
*shaking fist* Damn you, I thought I cleared that up with the first post. No Labor Ready - I need a lawn mower that I can use because I don't have Dumas available.....

JD

Old 05-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5741 Times on 3365 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The least annoying mower i ever had was a twin blade corded electric; i don't recall the brand. You coil the cord on the porch & work towards the street/away from the porch. The noise level is less than a vacuum & it starts every time. I picked that one up for maybe $40 at a yard sale. See if you can rent or borrow one for a test session. It was also the lightest mower i've ever used, which could be hand on a slope. It was not self-propelled. The rechargeable ones are too heavy, in my experience.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
cbw

I have over 2 acres and when I was buying everyone was out buying John Deere's. I wanted a Deere too, but a small yard tractor with no attachments was 4k. I ended up with an MTD that came with a 18hp v-twin Briggs, 46" mower, 5 CF yard cart, lawn sweeper, and a 46" snow blower for under 2k. Now you don't need anything like that but its still running great. I always had good luck with lawn-boys when I had a postage size yard.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:49 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a Troy Bilt 6.75 hp, 21" cut, 3 speed self-propelled, 10 hight settings with single lever adjust. You can bag, mulch or let it shoot out the side, best of all it has electronic ignition start so no pulling the Fing cord! I only have an 1/2 acre to mow, I'm done in 30 minutes and it looks like a golf course. I think I paid about $400 for it last year and I'm happy with it.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 AM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've owned both Toro and Honda, they are equally good one pull start machines. The electric start is a nice feature too. Don't buy because it's cheap!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #16

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Ok so you have a decent sized yard that is on a hill. If you are on a hill you want a rear drive mower. Pushing up a hill FWD is about as much fun as boobies on your drinking buddy. I have 2 Craftman mowers one 21" that will freeking cut down a small tree Trust me I did it. MY other one is a Self propelled Craftsman with bag, mulch, side discharge with a tall wheel in the back for easier pushing. I think if your over 5'9" the mower is not tall enough for you I know mine is not tall enough for me and I am only a whopping 5'11" tall. Both work extreamly well and are one maybe two pulls to start. my new one has no choke and no primer bulb either.

22" deck is about the biggest your going to get unless you get a nice SCAG or other pro model like that. Sears has a 22" rear bag or mulch rear drive mower for $299 Craftsman Rear Propelled Rear Bag Lawn Mower

Also do you want a bagging mower or do you want a mulching mower? If you want a mulcher then get a toro Super recycler personal pace mower. I have seen these in action and they much the grass better than any other mulching mower out there. Toro - Homeowner Mowers

If you are looking for maximum width how does 11.5' cutting width sound? Get a Toro Fairway mower. You will be done in 5 minutes.

If you want one bad to the bone ridding mower look no futher than a Dixy Chopper. Really the fastest mower on the market. OCC made them a chopper with one of their motors for a power plant.

Just a word of advise stay away from Troy built. I've had 3 of their 4cycle weed wackers and they have lasted about 2 years max. So if I can't fix this one I am going to sell it on ebay and take that money and go buy an Echo or Stihl.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3495 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Thanks for all the replies guys, especially Tango for his in depth analysis of the issue.

I am going to take this next week or two and visit a couple of dealers, including the local Sears/Craftsman as I found they have a very nice mower that is in their "professional" line up that has a 31" cutting deck and isn't too bad on price considering it's got the Craftsman name on it.

I definitely can't warrant a riding mower, the yard just isn't that big, and I am not in that bad of shape..... yet.

But at 6'-2", I definitely need a walk behind that doesn't have me hunched over like the Hondas do.

As for the question on bagging/mulching. Love the idea of mulching, but I have a dog with HUGE feet and I don't need him dragging clippings in every trip to the yard, so I am definitely going with a good quality bagger.

Thanks to everyone for responding - you guys are indeed the best!

JD

Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

You didn't like the 11.5' cut of the fairway mower. Then your lawn will look as good as a golf course.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mr. D:

Don't disregard the Honda mowers. I have had two over the past 25 years. I just finished mowing my yard with my newest one (now 12 years old). They are great machines. I am 6'3" and I have no problem operating it.

Now on the other hand you could do this (my first attempt at attaching a photo, so I hope this works). This is what I use for my Texas Hill Country 4 acre lot (future retirment home location). You can tell Mrs. D that you need the four-wheeler for mowing the lawn - worked for me!

TXnorton
p3210007.jpg  

Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #20

Liked 1456 Times on 864 Posts
Likes Given: 453

WELCOME TO SOUTHERN ROBOTx | Remote Control Lawn Mower sales/service

Sit on your deck, drink a beer and mow your lawn. If it's real hot, stand inside near a window and mow. Problem solved

Newest Threads