Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > law enforcement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

The only way to know is to meet them. If one cop in a three cop town is a douchebag that does not bode well in my mind. Get to know them, let them know your intentions. Know what you are getting into. Walk in to the Police station and ask to see the Chief, tell them why. You may have to come back but you should be able to see him. Basically what I am suggesting is that you interview your potential future employer.

My friend's son is now a welder. He totally abandoned the law enforcement idea after his experience with the Jr. deputy program.
That's a good idea hopefully they don't taze me when I walk in

Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7732 Times on 4465 Posts
Likes Given: 9979

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
That's a good idea hopefully they don't taze me when I walk in
Look at the bright side, if they did Taze you your decision will be made!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7732 Times on 4465 Posts
Likes Given: 9979

Then again if that is the way things are in your town you could set yourself on a sketchy career of reforming the Police department. That would take a great deal of time and dedication though. But it would no doubt help your community (if indeed the Police department is corrupt and thuggish). Just sayin'.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #24

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower

Yeah your Right I said that. But I want something more outta life. Yeah I sit here and lick my self for 12 hrs and get paid good but still I want something more?? Do u no what I mean.. its gard to explain
I get it. Money is not everything. Goodluck.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #25

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

LEO's in small towns tend to be very close knit. Don't be surprised if your not their favorite person starting off. Go for a ride-along if you can to get to know them and allow them to see your actually interested. The next step would be to try to get on as a reserve if there are not any immediate positions (not as easy as it sounds, need to go through the academy in your state in many instances). This will, once again, give you the opportunity to build a relationship. This is the key to getting into small town departments.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119
LEO's in small towns tend to be very close knit. Don't be surprised if your not their favorite person starting off. Go for a ride-along if you can to get to know them and allow them to see your actually interested. The next step would be to try to get on as a reserve if there are not any immediate positions (not as easy as it sounds, need to go through the academy in your state in many instances). This will, once again, give you the opportunity to build a relationship. This is the key to getting into small town departments.
Thanks man

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #27

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Police work is one of the more difficult and stressful jobs you can get into.

You should probably interview peace officers that you have access to, and find out what their jobs are like, and what they like and dislike about them. That will help you decide if it really interests you.

If it still does, then you need to find out if you are cut out for it. A lot of people start out wanting to do something they are not cut out for.

Most peace officers go through an academy training phase. Even the FBI has their own academy. There are police academies and sheriffs' academies. If you decide to try out, you need to get in, and you need to graduate. They do not make it easy on purpose. You are choosing a high stress job therefore they are going to stress you to see how you perform under stress. If you find out that you cry like a little kid when under stress, then obviously it is not for you.

Police work is not just walking around like a badazz and carrying a gun.

After you get through the academy then you need to get selected for a job. In this day and age, that is the hardest part. Governments and municipalities are cutting their police depts right about now rather than hiring very much if at all.

If you really want to do it, and you are cut out for it, the best thing would be to join the Army and ask for MP training and assignment. Besides the Army, there is also the USAF, Navy, and Marine Corps, in increasing order of difficulty.

The good thing about the military is that they will teach you how to shoot straight, one of the things they cover in basic training. After you serve 4 years and they have trained you, then you would be a special acquisition for a civilian peace officer spot, and you will already be trained, and also in pretty good physical shape, so the academy would then be a piece of cake.

You would however still need to deal with the problem of civilian police depts currently being under cuts due to the economy, but in 4 years from now, things may have improved economically. All recessions are simply a matter of time, although the one we are in now is a big one and may last a really long time because all the bubbles that are now bursting have been overdue for a long time.

If you find out you cannot find a civilian job after all that, then you can normally always return to the military and put in your 20 years towards retirement there.

Good luck with your career choices.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 773 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 366

A couple more things to consider many smaller PDs work rotating shifts, days 3 months, mids for 3 and nights for 3! Just about the time your body adjust you have another shift change.
Also plan on working many if not most holidays especially until you earn some seniority plus in small Dept's advancement is limited.
Then there is the constant exposure to the more negative side of life which can leave you somewhat jaded. Just some things to consider.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel
A couple more things to consider many smaller PDs work rotating shifts, days 3 months, mids for 3 and nights for 3! Just about the time your body adjust you have another shift change.
Also plan on working many if not most holidays especially until you earn some seniority plus in small Dept's advancement is limited.
Then there is the constant exposure to the more negative side of life which can leave you somewhat jaded. Just some things to consider.
I already do shift work and work some holidays so that don't bother me

Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2583 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 199

LE is not a job, not a career, but a calling...At least it should be. It was a calling for me that became a career long calling. I agree that meeting and talking to the area officers/brass is a good idea, IF you want to continue in LE in that immediate area. Results will vary depending on your State, region, city, county.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball