Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > law enforcement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Yeah I'm going to ask some of the cops around here and see what they have to say
Good idea. Also talk to the Chief. If he won't talk to you I would surmise he wouldn't be a good guy to work for. Same goes for the Highway Patrol and the Sheriff. If the top boss won't talk to potential recruits in my opinion they are generally not good to work for. That is specific to public service agencies, not the private sector.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Good idea. Also talk to the Chief. If he won't talk to you I would surmise he wouldn't be a good guy to work for. Same goes for the Highway Patrol and the Sheriff. If the top boss won't talk to potential recruits in my opinion they are generally not good to work for. That is specific to public service agencies, not the private sector.
Good point! I didn't even think of that. Right now there are only 2 town cops and the are old so it wouldn't surprise me if they retired in the next five or so years. I want their job so I want to get my foot in the door in law so it makes me look good and it could be an easy snag

Old 01-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6688 Times on 4043 Posts
Likes Given: 7958

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Wait, you lick yourself for a living?
ROFL! And get paid $60K for doing that.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Lol pretty muxh I'm at work right now and I'm literally not doing jack ****.. and I still got 10 more hours

Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Good point! I didn't even think of that. Right now there are only 2 town cops and the are old so it wouldn't surprise me if they retired in the next five or so years. I want their job so I want to get my foot in the door in law so it makes me look good and it could be an easy snag
I have only worked in the private sector so my opinions are slanted that way. In the public sector (especially in a small town) you should be able to walk in and talk to the Chief. Get a relationship going. See if you like him (or her). That should be easy enough to do. Do the same with the Sheriff and Highway Patrol (not as easy but still possible).

My friend's son joined the local Sheriff's "junior deputy" program (whatever it is called) and found that he didn't like the people that he dealt with. He didn't meet the Sheriff through that program though. I think it would be mandatory that the Sheriff would go and mingle with the recruits just for good PR. In all fairness the Sheriff is a corrupt piece of crap and many of the people in the recruiting arm are more interested in finding bullies and thugs who can pass the background check. that's just the way the Sheriff rolls. There are some really good deputies in the department but the culture in that office is not one I care for.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #16

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
....it's gard to explain.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #17

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I can't even follow this thread guys, all I keep thinking about is the MSU mascot.

Bubba turned to billy bob and said "I wish I could do that"
Billy bob said "man that dog would bite you"

Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Lol pretty muxh I'm at work right now and I'm literally not doing jack ****.. and I still got 10 more hours
You have enough time to explain then, don't you?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I have only worked in the private sector so my opinions are slanted that way. In the public sector (especially in a small town) you should be able to walk in and talk to the Chief. Get a relationship going. See if you like him (or her). That should be easy enough to do. Do the same with the Sheriff and Highway Patrol (not as easy but still possible).

My friend's son joined the local Sheriff's "junior deputy" program (whatever it is called) and found that he didn't like the people that he dealt with. He didn't meet the Sheriff through that program though. I think it would be mandatory that the Sheriff would go and mingle with the recruits just for good PR. In all fairness the Sheriff is a corrupt piece of crap and many of the people in the recruiting arm are more interested in finding bullies and thugs who can pass the background check. that's just the way the Sheriff rolls. There are some really good deputies in the department but the culture in that office is not one I care for.
Damn that sucks I hope its not that way here ill be really upset if it turns out that the cops are douches... I know for a fact there is one town cop that is here and he's a total d bag but I don't know the chief at all

Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Damn that sucks I hope its not that way here ill be really upset if it turns out that the cops are douches... I know for a fact there is one town cop that is here and he's a total d bag but I don't know the chief at all
The only way to know is to meet them. If one cop in a three cop town is a douchebag that does not bode well in my mind. Get to know them, let them know your intentions. Know what you are getting into. Walk in to the Police station and ask to see the Chief, tell them why. You may have to come back but you should be able to see him. Basically what I am suggesting is that you interview your potential future employer.

My friend's son is now a welder. He totally abandoned the law enforcement idea after his experience with the Jr. deputy program.