Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > law enforcement

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,377
Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Yeah I'm going to ask some of the cops around here and see what they have to say
Good idea. Also talk to the Chief. If he won't talk to you I would surmise he wouldn't be a good guy to work for. Same goes for the Highway Patrol and the Sheriff. If the top boss won't talk to potential recruits in my opinion they are generally not good to work for. That is specific to public service agencies, not the private sector.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stoppingpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 379
Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Good idea. Also talk to the Chief. If he won't talk to you I would surmise he wouldn't be a good guy to work for. Same goes for the Highway Patrol and the Sheriff. If the top boss won't talk to potential recruits in my opinion they are generally not good to work for. That is specific to public service agencies, not the private sector.
Good point! I didn't even think of that. Right now there are only 2 town cops and the are old so it wouldn't surprise me if they retired in the next five or so years. I want their job so I want to get my foot in the door in law so it makes me look good and it could be an easy snag
__________________
stoppingpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,320
Liked 6688 Times on 4043 Posts
Likes Given: 7958

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Wait, you lick yourself for a living?
ROFL! And get paid $60K for doing that.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stoppingpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 379
Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Wait, you lick yourself for a living?
Lol pretty muxh I'm at work right now and I'm literally not doing jack ****.. and I still got 10 more hours
__________________
stoppingpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,377
Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Good point! I didn't even think of that. Right now there are only 2 town cops and the are old so it wouldn't surprise me if they retired in the next five or so years. I want their job so I want to get my foot in the door in law so it makes me look good and it could be an easy snag
I have only worked in the private sector so my opinions are slanted that way. In the public sector (especially in a small town) you should be able to walk in and talk to the Chief. Get a relationship going. See if you like him (or her). That should be easy enough to do. Do the same with the Sheriff and Highway Patrol (not as easy but still possible).

My friend's son joined the local Sheriff's "junior deputy" program (whatever it is called) and found that he didn't like the people that he dealt with. He didn't meet the Sheriff through that program though. I think it would be mandatory that the Sheriff would go and mingle with the recruits just for good PR. In all fairness the Sheriff is a corrupt piece of crap and many of the people in the recruiting arm are more interested in finding bullies and thugs who can pass the background check. that's just the way the Sheriff rolls. There are some really good deputies in the department but the culture in that office is not one I care for.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sonic82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis,Minnesota
Posts: 2,901
Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Wait, you lick yourself for a living?
....it's gard to explain.
__________________
“He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.”
― Alexander Hamilton

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
Sonic82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I can't even follow this thread guys, all I keep thinking about is the MSU mascot.

Bubba turned to billy bob and said "I wish I could do that"
Billy bob said "man that dog would bite you"

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,377
Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Lol pretty muxh I'm at work right now and I'm literally not doing jack ****.. and I still got 10 more hours
You have enough time to explain then, don't you?
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stoppingpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 379
Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I have only worked in the private sector so my opinions are slanted that way. In the public sector (especially in a small town) you should be able to walk in and talk to the Chief. Get a relationship going. See if you like him (or her). That should be easy enough to do. Do the same with the Sheriff and Highway Patrol (not as easy but still possible).

My friend's son joined the local Sheriff's "junior deputy" program (whatever it is called) and found that he didn't like the people that he dealt with. He didn't meet the Sheriff through that program though. I think it would be mandatory that the Sheriff would go and mingle with the recruits just for good PR. In all fairness the Sheriff is a corrupt piece of crap and many of the people in the recruiting arm are more interested in finding bullies and thugs who can pass the background check. that's just the way the Sheriff rolls. There are some really good deputies in the department but the culture in that office is not one I care for.
Damn that sucks I hope its not that way here ill be really upset if it turns out that the cops are douches... I know for a fact there is one town cop that is here and he's a total d bag but I don't know the chief at all
__________________
stoppingpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,377
Liked 7684 Times on 4433 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Damn that sucks I hope its not that way here ill be really upset if it turns out that the cops are douches... I know for a fact there is one town cop that is here and he's a total d bag but I don't know the chief at all
The only way to know is to meet them. If one cop in a three cop town is a douchebag that does not bode well in my mind. Get to know them, let them know your intentions. Know what you are getting into. Walk in to the Police station and ask to see the Chief, tell them why. You may have to come back but you should be able to see him. Basically what I am suggesting is that you interview your potential future employer.

My friend's son is now a welder. He totally abandoned the law enforcement idea after his experience with the Jr. deputy program.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Might be joining law enforcement SmithKid308 The Club House 3 08-08-2011 12:39 PM
For law enforcement/military use only? Bools Firearm Accessories & Gear 4 07-20-2011 03:59 PM
Lights For Law Enforcement black bear 84 Firearm Accessories & Gear 72 05-09-2011 10:16 PM
Law enforcement slip The Club House 12 11-29-2009 11:08 PM
H.R 218 Law Enforcement Safety Act 45forlife Legal and Activism 5 12-06-2007 07:59 PM