Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Law enforcement (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/law-enforcement-20513/)

slip 11-28-2009 07:07 AM

Law enforcement

Ok, for all you law enforcement officers and whatnot, I was just wondering...

Do you absolutely need to go to school for criminal justice to become a police officer? I know the other way is military experience, but is there anything else?

What about executive security?

Thanks for the help guys :)

spittinfire 11-28-2009 11:32 AM

I dont know what it's like in your state but in NC you have to pass BLET or go into the state trooper program. You don't have to have a degree at all just a high school diploma.

Dzscubie 11-28-2009 01:51 PM

You have different level s of Law Enforcement that has different requirements. Examples are Federal Agents/Officers, State police/Highway Patrol, Sheriffs Deputies, and City Police. Most, not all, but most Federal Agencies require a college degree. As for the STL (State and Local) it depends on the individual department. My agency, Customs and Border Protection does not require a degree for an officer but the Agents (like a detective) must have a degree. My wife’s department does not require a 4 year degree but you must have certification from the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Standards on Education which you can get at certain colleges and is equal to an associate’s degree. Many large city police departments require some college like having 64 hours toward a degree. I have worked with many officers who have degrees that are not Law Enforcement specific. I have friends that are teachers, accountants, political scientist, and even a nuclear physicist. I guess it all depends on the department you want to join.

robocop10mm 11-28-2009 02:01 PM

It all varies state to state. In recent years there has been a trend to up the standards. The Texas licensing agency tried to get the law changed so that you had to have a Bachelors degree to get a Peace Officer License. The smaller jurisidictions screamed bloody murder. At their pay levels no one with a degree would go to work there. The compromise worked out was they no longer accept just a GED. You must also have (I believe) 30 hrs of college if you have a ged and no HS diploma, just to be accepted into a BPOC (Pasic Peace Officers Course)

Some states have "certified " Peace Officers and "licensed" Peace Officers. You can get a license with a minimal amount of training. To be certified, one has to complete more training and (usually) have a degree. Those states mandate pay minimums for "Certified" officer. The larger jurisdictions only hire "certified" officers.

Executive Protection? Most have some kind of specialized training. DoD and Secret Service have very good courses, but civilians cannot get into them. You must be LE/Mil to begin with.

Bigguns911 11-28-2009 03:42 PM

+1 to the two above, I have a high school diploma and 2.5 years of reserve police work. I did the reserve thing to get more experience and time on the road. I my short time as a full time deputy sheriff I have found LE related college degrees do not make a good cop. For that matter college does not make a good cop, experience is a lot of help. If you do want to go to college take english and writing class.

Over all see what requirements are needed for each department. See if you can get on as a reserve. You will need to keep at and work hard with any department. Stick with it.

slip 11-28-2009 07:13 PM

Thanks guys!

Reason I ask is because I feel like Law Enforcement will be in high demand and that I should start investing time into it. It also has good job security.

What website should I go on to find out my local requirements? I'm located in IL.

Bigguns911 11-28-2009 08:08 PM

I do not know any specific web pages for that area. In WA our academy has a web page with job listings and such. See if you can find you states academy web page. Also you can attempt to make friends was some cops, just understand most are standoffish at first until they know you are looking to be on our team.

ScottG 11-28-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slip (Post 191614)
I'm located in IL.

Become a Chicago alderman..... it's like being a police officer and a criminal at the same time....

slip 11-29-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottG (Post 191660)
Become a Chicago alderman..... it's like being a police officer and a criminal at the same time....

Lol. I looked it up and unfortunately don't understand the joke...
Sorry!

c3shooter 11-29-2009 02:20 AM

You know those ads you see on TV advertising the training courses for law enforcement? SUCKAH!!! Law Enforcement agencies set training standards, which none of the places you see running national TV ads can meet. They will vary from state to state, but are run thru the various local training agencies. Some agencies (FBI is one that comes to mind) DO require a bachelor's degree- the ad on TV is NOT for a Bachelor's from an accredited University. And right now, if you wanted to get into the FBI, a degree in law, accounting, or computer science will get you further than something that looks like CSI reruns.

Gee, I wonder if I can start a home correspondence course for Bomb Disposal Officers? :rolleyes: Bet it would make the mailman really nervous!

Seriously, check your local community college system. Most run programs for Associate Degrees in Administration of Justice, and can offer you some insights into department requirements, pay, etc.