Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Latest UK Gun Legislation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/latest-uk-gun-legislation-2979/)

Boris 01-11-2008 07:41 AM

Latest UK Gun Legislation

Thought you chaps may be interested in the lastest developments on the scene in the UK. As you are aware the UK authorities have banned all semi automatic rifles and all handguns from public ownership for some time now, having convinced the voters that in taking these wicked weapons out of the public domain, crime violent firearm crime would be reduced..... well as we know it wouldn't and didn't. Everytime there is an incident in the UK they now feel obliged to introduce further legislation.

There has always been keen collectors of deactivated military weapons (not understood it myself, but it's a free country and if you want a deactivated MG42 on a fixed tripod in the middle of your lounge, fine by me). These weapons have to be deactived by a gunsmith and offically examined and proofed as such by the 'Proof Houses'. They are almost impossible to reactivate.

They are now to be banned as dangerous weapons that can easily drop into the wrong hands. Other than dropping one on your foot I find it hard to believe how you could hurt anyone, it's a metal lump! Cheaper to get a cricket bat to hit someone with!

Included in this madness is BB gun replicas. Other legislation to make the public safe is the prohibition of lock back knives, and carrying anything with a blade of more than 1.5 inches? Oh yes, they intend to 'licence' childrens airguns

It is going to be interesting to note that once everything is banned what excuses the goverment will use then?

bkt 01-11-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 14075)
It is going to be interesting to note that once everything is banned what excuses the goverment will use then?

They'll start blaming other countries where firearms and knives can be acquired legally.

Is there any indication the people in the U.K. have had enough of this do-nothing invasive disarmament crap?

Boris 01-11-2008 03:43 PM

No not at all, the goverment managed the argument very well, using the extremely fringe and small anti gun groups, you know the usual 'mothers against guns' etc. they managed to convince the general voting public that they all would be safer without the worry about legally owned guns and the people who have this quite obvious dangerous interest, and pastime.

Unlike the US in the UK the shooting community was divided and made a poor defence. It's just math, although the shooting community even in the States is large, against the general voting population we are a relatively small group. Discussing endlessly between ourselves the rights and wrongs of proposed future gun legislation will not move the shooting cause forward. A balanced arguement must be placed to the general public, might i suggest with a little understanding of their position. At the end of the day it is a democracy and if they vote to restrict gun ownership what are you going to do, break the law?

I am not supporting further gun legislation, but if a guy comes along and says,'Look I've done a little hunting but I think that guns should be in the hands of fit and proper persons, after all we don't just allow a person to drive a car, he's got to pass a test and have a licence. Is it reasonable to expect the same for owners of guns?' We have to be able rationally argue the case to allow legislation to remain at their current level.

As I said I am not advocating chucking the towel in, I am say that everyone should stand united behind the groups who defend shooting rights and engage with the general voting public. At the end of the day it will be their call.

bkt 01-11-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 14087)
No not at all, the goverment managed the argument very well, using the extremely fringe and small anti gun groups, you know the usual 'mothers against guns' etc. they managed to convince the general voting public that they all would be safer without the worry about legally owned guns and the people who have this quite obvious dangerous interest, and pastime.

That's too bad.

Quote:

Unlike the US in the UK the shooting community was divided and made a poor defence. It's just math, although the shooting community even in the States is large, against the general voting population we are a relatively small group. Discussing endlessly between ourselves the rights and wrongs of proposed future gun legislation will not move the shooting cause forward. A balanced arguement must be placed to the general public, might i suggest with a little understanding of their position. At the end of the day it is a democracy and if they vote to restrict gun ownership what are you going to do, break the law?

Whether or not someone elects to break the law depends on their personal views. Should gun laws in the U.S. change in such a way that I would become a criminal unless I turned in my firearms, I resolved some time ago that I would become a criminal.

It would seem that a fairly succinct argument bolstered by facts could be made in favor of trusting the law-abiding portion of subjects with firearms.

Quote:

As I said I am not advocating chucking the towel in, I am say that everyone should stand united behind the groups who defend shooting rights and engage with the general voting public. At the end of the day it will be their call.

Certainly. But this does not seem the logical or sane path for the general public to take. Here's to hoping the people choose to listen to arguments in favor of legal firearm ownership before too many more of them are hurt or killed by those to whom gun legislation does not apply.

matt g 01-12-2008 04:13 AM

As long as the barrel is still rifled, I have the means and know how to reactivate most weapons. For someone who works with metal and know firearms, it isn't difficult. The tough part of making firearms is cutting the riflings in the barrels.

Boris 01-12-2008 08:34 AM

Dectivated Firearms

Yes I agree most of us have the knowkedge, and some the skill, after all we all know that you could make a firearm from even a car antenne, but I will say that these weapons I refer to have have been severly butchered, barrels breech faces, in some case welded solid also........

Boris 01-12-2008 08:40 AM

Oh yes I forgot.....

That is the UK goverments position. The public over there now accept that once again they have been led up the garden path again, but the die is cast and restrictive legislation a one way street, once they get you there, there will be no 'u' turn.

But the point I was trying to make is that shortly the UK public will be down to eating their dinners with plastic knives and forks, and I might add than if this current administration get in again (Heaven forbid) the forks will have corks on the end.

jeepejeep 01-12-2008 04:50 PM

The US has to learn from this horrible mustake in the UK. If we didn't have the NRA backing up the Second Amendment, we'd be right with you! Just look at Washington DC where there's a total ban on handguns and any other gun must be rendered inoperable. This is to reduce crime but DC has been in the top 5 violent cities since this ban went into effect. Their answer of course is more laws. Amazing. The Supreme Court is now deciding if this law is against The Constitution. Lets all hope and pray they vote against this horrible law. I'm sorry the good people of The UK don't have this to look foward to.:(

Boris 01-13-2008 10:14 AM

My point exactly...good luck to you all...........

slammer 03-29-2009 07:42 PM

It is not just a thing of the UK all over Europe the laws are being screwed tighter and tighter. In today´s efeminated society it is safe safe safe at all costs. Not only that a disarmed society can be put under control more than on under arms.
However in the UK (I am a 30 year expat and able to look from the outside) I just for the life of me not imagine giving the chavs and slappers acsess to firarms, hell I would not trust the little unintelligent ba$§rds with a rolled up newpaper.