Late night hunting?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Late night hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Late night hunting?

Sorry, Mods please move this thread if needed, I have no idea where to put it. I've had a few beers and my nerves are shot by now.
There's a guy in the woods behind my house, at 1:35 in the morning (Right this second) firing off what has to be a shotgun. A round every 20 seconds or so, then quiet for a few minutes. Can't tell if he's hunting or practicing (At this hour?!) He's close by, not far, but I'm wondering, what kind of hunting is done at this hour of night? Would anyone have any idea if I should be at all concerned about this? I'm, of course, all for gun ownership, I live outside of city limits, I'm sure he can fire this weapon legally, but after 11pm? It's more the hour that is bothering me, he's awfully close to the house and this is extremely unusual. Nothing's hit yet. Just need some advice. I found a bent screen on one of my windows almost a week ago so my defenses are way up. Thank you for your time and advice guys..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like the boy's not right. Be careful, stay safe.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #3

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

If your feel your safety is in jeopardy RIGHT NOW contact the authorities in your area.

As you have stated you have been drinking, my advice would be do not grab a weapon and confront whomever it is. I'm not a hunter so I can't say if there are legitimate reasons but if they are shooting in intervals it does not sound like hunting to me, but again do not arm yourself and confront, that is probably the worst thing that could be done. If you don't want to contact the police but do not feel safe where you are, leave for the night stay somewhere else.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #4

The safety issue is my problem... I thought raccoon hunting was done at night, we have plenty. We have a guy who shoots at night around deer season, I always figured he was practicing, but this, I'm sure is a different guy and never this late. Some new houses were built across a creek and up a very large hill, at least two thousand yards away I'm guessing. If I hear it again I will call the law, as I'm sure at the least, it violates the noise ordinance, just unsettling is all. It has stopped now, for the past 15 minutes, so maybe he is done. He was shooting around 9 tonight for about an hour. Sorry guys, pointless post most likely. Only place I knew to ask. The cops around here know me too well because of neighbor issues. So I try not to call unless absolutely necessary. Never fails that I'll call and he'll go inside that second, and the cops'll never find out who was shooting, waste of time for everybody in the first place, would make me feel really horrible. Once called the law because of a screaming fox in the woods. Was absolutely sure it was a dying woman *absolute embarrassment* And I will not confront anyone or get a weapon. Cops are my first choice if at all possible.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

In may area you can hunt coyote at any time of the day or night. Other than that no hunting at night. If he is blasting away then he is not hunting. How far away did it sound? Did it sounds like it was on your property or 1/2 a mile away.

Sounds like you have cried wolf a few times and now worry that no one believes you.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #6

He wasn't on my property, I have a large load of forest behind my house, and I'm bad at distance, so I guess he wasn't 2K yards (a mile or so) thinking maybe 200 yards. He never did start firing again, so I guess I have a new neighbor who plays around on late Saturday nights! I could really care less if cops believe me, I know they have to come out if I call about a firearm or worry about a suspicious person. They've told me each time to call them if I'm suspicious, they don't mind coming out, but I hate wasting their time on things that resolve on their own .. you know? But thank you all for your responses, I'm sorry I wasted YOUR time about this. I need to get some nerve pills I guess.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Things you can solve yourself.

Some UNKNOWN person SHOOTING a SHOTGUN in the WOODS at 0130 to me is not a situation you can SOLVE YOURSELF.

I may be wrong about this because I know we got some uber cool secrete squirrel ninja's around here.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #8

I doubt hunting that late and needing to shoot that much while hunting, unless you're impaired and think you're seeing multiple animals when there clearly isnt.

Contact the police, ask them about laws pertaining that. Here you can hunt night/day for coyotes. But thats only from Oct 1-Feb 28th. Your area might be different.

S.S.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Here, coyotes can be taken anytime-day or night-year round. Also, raccoon hunting is done at night with dogs.

Paranoia, the desroyer.

If the person was not on your property, what's the problem?

BAM

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #10

Obviously there was no problem. This was an overreaction. My apologies.