Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Last savings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Last savings

Just paid 85 bucks to get my newer computer back from the shop....well the wind caught my truck door and slammed into the car next to me. Guy wants 100 bucks for little or no damage to his vehicle , what am I to say? Well my computer is still screwed up and now im out 185$. Makes you wanna cry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

What's wrong with the computer? Maybe you can get out a little cheaper...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Most of those places (Geek Squad and their ilk) are as useless as a knife in a gun fight.

What is the issue? While I do not deal with desktop issues much anymore, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Or

Save all of your files on a USB drive and reinstall. If it is a name brand computer, it should have a recovery disc or partition.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

On a online game I play (Everquest) when I get to the character select screen and click on the one I want my computer turns off and restarts.

Other then that it seems ok. My son plays the game also , he has no problems with his machine.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #5

Default some ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
On a online game I play (Everquest) when I get to the character select screen and click on the one I want my computer turns off and restarts.

Other then that it seems OK. My son plays the game also , he has no problems with his machine.
That sounds like a bug or a driver problem, is your video card ATI or Nvidia?

If it is Nvidia, go to the Nvidia driver download page and select your video card, next download it and remember where it is in your pc.

Uninstall the old driver, got to: control panel>add or remove programs>select your nvidia DISPLAY driver , click uninstall, reboot your pc when prompted.

After your pc reboots install the new driver, that usually fix the problem. As new games are released, new drivers are released too.

If you purchase the game you might want to find an update, ussualy games when they first come out they have plenty of bugs, so updates are released constantly.

If your card is ATI, check their website for instructions, ussually is a bit more complicated to uninstall the driver.

Don't install a driver over another , that is asking for trouble.

Also check your hardware, download a copy of everest and check you CPU and video card temperatures, pcs usually shutdown when the temps are high. See if your video card has a fan.

Hope this helps, I make computers and deal with this problems all the time, incompatibilities are the norm with some games, find a forum and check how other guys dealt with the same problem.

Let us know what happens.

Live long, Gato

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$100 in damage to a car sure isn't much damage.
I'm sure things will get better soon. I can always tell based on whether or not I am currently carrying my "Go Postal" gun case

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I havent heard anything else from the guy about the dent, maybe he got some Christmas spirit and let me slide.
The video card is an Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, I have gone to the Nvidia site and downloaded the newest driver. The comp shuts down reguardless of whether its just been booted up after a long cool down or has been running for awhile. Ive deleted all the EQ files and run fullscans of the game, doesnt seem to matter. I just dont think it likes computer illiterate equipment operaters.......

Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It restarts on it's own then it can be due to bad drivers, a critter that don't belong, or hardware that is not up to the task at hand. If it is a bad driver and you know what kind of video card you can download a new driver from the manufacturer in most cases. If you are unsure but know what model and make the machine is post it here and I"m sure me or someone can look up the specs for you.

You can also look in the systems logs in the control panel under administrative tools (if it is a Windows box). You can also go into the system properties and uncheck the box that allows the machine to auto restart on a crash. This willnot fix the problem but it will give you a huge number that can be looked up to see just what the issue is(This will be shown to you on the blue screen of doom). If it is hardware related...Like a bad video card here's some places to look for a replacement.

New Egg
Lots of great prices on all kinds of computer things. They run sales so it's worth checking when you are looking for something to upgrade a machine or to start a from scratch build.
Geeks
Is like the Big Lots of tech stuff. Closeouts, discontinued items and some off brands I have no idea where they find some of it it. There are some pretty good deals there if you have the time to sift through the pages.
Tigerdirect
Is one of the best known dealers out there. Prices are hit and miss but they run some pretty good sales. They have a HUGE inventory so most the time you will find what you are looking for.
Pricewatch
Pricewatch site is a hub for a ton of online dealers in all things computer. There are some great deals to be had there but make sure you are looking at exactly what you want. They will offer some off brand stuff really cheap and sometimes it's good and sometimes not.
Xoxide
This site has all kinds of things like cases, fans, CPU and a huge inventory of stuff to build a one of a kind machine. They seem top specialize in things to build a high end box that will look as cool as it runs. If you want to build a machine that looks wild and will run col then it's worth checking out. I added this link just because. It's a blast to look at some of the stuff that you really might not need but still..Man some of it is cool!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

my comp is a Gateway DX, I have downloaded the newest driver on the Nvidia site for my vid card. Its working fine for everything except Everquest. I played the game on this machine for over a year with no problems. Guess Ill try to find the crappy vid card that came with the comp and see if it works with EQ. I already sold my good Everquest account anyway so Im thinking Ill just cancel my subscription and find something else to play thats cheaper anyway.