Lasik/ laser eye surgery?


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lasik/ laser eye surgery?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
94browninghunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Darien,IL
Posts: 311
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Lasik/ laser eye surgery?

Have any of you had the surgery? Do you recommend it or no?



__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson
94browninghunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

That was my wifes Christmas present 2 yrs ago from me and it was the best money ever spent . No more glasses, contacts and all the rest of the BS that goes with it . it was expensive but her vision is perfect now . She had heavy prescriptions and a bad Astigmatism. You wont regret spending your hard earned money on it .



__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 2,949
Liked 939 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Default

I had the original surgery Radial K done a long time ago. Best thing I've ever done... but it's not without long term problems. As I have aged, I still need reader... and because I healed too quickly, my sight didn't make it to 20-20, still needed glasses for some things. BUT, what has been the biggest problem, my eye sight changes throughout the day. Glasses I need in the morning are not the same glasses I need at night. Drives me CRAZY I understand the Lasik is much better, and I'd still do it again today, ...

__________________
partdeux is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jeepejeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 695
Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default

I and my wife have had Laser and It's one of the best things we've ever done. I was very, very near sighted and had an astigmatism in the left eye as well. I see great now after having the surgery about 10 years ago. The procedures have only gotten better since then, I say go for it!

__________________

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

jeepejeep is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,999
Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
I had the original surgery Radial K done a long time ago. Best thing I've ever done... but it's not without long term problems. As I have aged, I still need reader... and because I healed too quickly, my sight didn't make it to 20-20, still needed glasses for some things. BUT, what has been the biggest problem, my eye sight changes throughout the day. Glasses I need in the morning are not the same glasses I need at night. Drives me CRAZY I understand the Lasik is much better, and I'd still do it again today, ...
Rk left my dads right eye weird.
__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,999
Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Should have elaborated, he has blurred vision and a thing he calls a floater. Says this "floater" is a chunk of something, sometimes blocks his vision in that eye. They cut him to deep or something. I was young so I don't remember what he told me.

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dennis845's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NE,TN
Posts: 273
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

The rewards might be worth it unless you're in that 2% group, then what?

__________________
I think, therefore I am...
Dennis845 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
94browninghunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Darien,IL
Posts: 311
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845
Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

The rewards might be worth it unless you're in that 2% group, then what?
That's exactly what I'm thinking of. I have lil sight but I don't even wear glasses Bc I don't usually need em unless I'm looking at little letters on the white board at college. So I'm thinking still. Wouldn't want to be in that 2%
__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson
94browninghunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shadamai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 652
Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

The rewards might be worth it unless you're in that 2% group, then what?
I worry about that too, despite having a friend who had the procedure and was very satisfied. Another factor for me is that the surgery is still relatively new...what happens 40-50 years down the road? We don't know yet...and I will still be wanting to use my eyes then if I live that long. Most people seem to do well with it so far (I don't want to sound overly pessimistic), but I personally have chosen not to go that route.
__________________
shadamai is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
94browninghunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Darien,IL
Posts: 311
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I worry about that too, despite having a friend who had the procedure and was very satisfied. Another factor for me is that the surgery is still relatively new...what happens 40-50 years down the road? We don't know yet...and I will still be wanting to use my eyes then if I live that long. Most people seem to do well with it so far (I don't want to sound overly pessimistic), but I personally have chosen not to go that route.
You've got me thinking now


__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson
94browninghunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone had lasik and has it changed your shooting? dpowers311 General Handgun Discussion 16 11-06-2011 10:50 PM
Lasik Surgery SilverState Competition Shooting 7 12-19-2009 05:07 AM