Lasik/ laser eye surgery?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Lasik/ laser eye surgery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Lasik/ laser eye surgery?

Have any of you had the surgery? Do you recommend it or no?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

That was my wifes Christmas present 2 yrs ago from me and it was the best money ever spent . No more glasses, contacts and all the rest of the BS that goes with it . it was expensive but her vision is perfect now . She had heavy prescriptions and a bad Astigmatism. You wont regret spending your hard earned money on it .

Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 939 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I had the original surgery Radial K done a long time ago. Best thing I've ever done... but it's not without long term problems. As I have aged, I still need reader... and because I healed too quickly, my sight didn't make it to 20-20, still needed glasses for some things. BUT, what has been the biggest problem, my eye sight changes throughout the day. Glasses I need in the morning are not the same glasses I need at night. Drives me CRAZY I understand the Lasik is much better, and I'd still do it again today, ...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I and my wife have had Laser and It's one of the best things we've ever done. I was very, very near sighted and had an astigmatism in the left eye as well. I see great now after having the surgery about 10 years ago. The procedures have only gotten better since then, I say go for it!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
I had the original surgery Radial K done a long time ago. Best thing I've ever done... but it's not without long term problems. As I have aged, I still need reader... and because I healed too quickly, my sight didn't make it to 20-20, still needed glasses for some things. BUT, what has been the biggest problem, my eye sight changes throughout the day. Glasses I need in the morning are not the same glasses I need at night. Drives me CRAZY I understand the Lasik is much better, and I'd still do it again today, ...
Rk left my dads right eye weird.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #6

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Should have elaborated, he has blurred vision and a thing he calls a floater. Says this "floater" is a chunk of something, sometimes blocks his vision in that eye. They cut him to deep or something. I was young so I don't remember what he told me.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

The rewards might be worth it unless you're in that 2% group, then what?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845
Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

That's exactly what I'm thinking of. I have lil sight but I don't even wear glasses Bc I don't usually need em unless I'm looking at little letters on the white board at college. So I'm thinking still. Wouldn't want to be in that 2%
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post

I worry about that too, despite having a friend who had the procedure and was very satisfied. Another factor for me is that the surgery is still relatively new...what happens 40-50 years down the road? We don't know yet...and I will still be wanting to use my eyes then if I live that long. Most people seem to do well with it so far (I don't want to sound overly pessimistic), but I personally have chosen not to go that route.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I worry about that too, despite having a friend who had the procedure and was very satisfied. Another factor for me is that the surgery is still relatively new...what happens 40-50 years down the road? We don't know yet...and I will still be wanting to use my eyes then if I live that long. Most people seem to do well with it so far (I don't want to sound overly pessimistic), but I personally have chosen not to go that route.
You've got me thinking now