Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Lasik/ laser eye surgery? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/lasik-laser-eye-surgery-64898/)

94browninghunt 05-21-2012 04:42 PM

Lasik/ laser eye surgery?

Have any of you had the surgery? Do you recommend it or no?

purehavoc 05-21-2012 04:54 PM

That was my wifes Christmas present 2 yrs ago from me and it was the best money ever spent . No more glasses, contacts and all the rest of the BS that goes with it . it was expensive but her vision is perfect now . She had heavy prescriptions and a bad Astigmatism. You wont regret spending your hard earned money on it .

partdeux 05-21-2012 05:05 PM

I had the original surgery Radial K done a long time ago. Best thing I've ever done... but it's not without long term problems. As I have aged, I still need reader... and because I healed too quickly, my sight didn't make it to 20-20, still needed glasses for some things. BUT, what has been the biggest problem, my eye sight changes throughout the day. Glasses I need in the morning are not the same glasses I need at night. Drives me CRAZY :) I understand the Lasik is much better, and I'd still do it again today, ...

jeepejeep 05-21-2012 06:54 PM

I and my wife have had Laser and It's one of the best things we've ever done. I was very, very near sighted and had an astigmatism in the left eye as well. I see great now after having the surgery about 10 years ago. The procedures have only gotten better since then, I say go for it!

kytowboater 05-21-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux
I had the original surgery Radial K done a long time ago. Best thing I've ever done... but it's not without long term problems. As I have aged, I still need reader... and because I healed too quickly, my sight didn't make it to 20-20, still needed glasses for some things. BUT, what has been the biggest problem, my eye sight changes throughout the day. Glasses I need in the morning are not the same glasses I need at night. Drives me CRAZY :) I understand the Lasik is much better, and I'd still do it again today, ...

Rk left my dads right eye weird.

kytowboater 05-21-2012 07:12 PM

Should have elaborated, he has blurred vision and a thing he calls a floater. Says this "floater" is a chunk of something, sometimes blocks his vision in that eye. They cut him to deep or something. I was young so I don't remember what he told me.

Dennis845 05-21-2012 07:40 PM

Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

The rewards might be worth it unless you're in that 2% group, then what?

94browninghunt 05-22-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis845
Well, here's my take. I thought about getting it myself to improve my vision and get rid of those pesky glasses. Your vision is probably your single most important sense. Since my vision is very precious to me I did some research on it before I decided.

What I found was, it's a gamble. I don't remember the "exact" percentages but, the success rate is extremely high for laser surgery, like in the high 90% range. The failure / mistake rate was around +/- 2%, somewhere around there? By failure rate I'm talking about completely loosing your sight and / or vision worse than before surgery.

Unlike heart surgery or life saving or extending life surgery that is absolutely necessary, I elected not to get elective surgery because if anything is going to happen, it's always me.

No doubt the doctors skill, experience and track record needs to be checked out before you commit your eye sight to him /her. But, what if he is having a bad day? Got high the night before, getting divorced, has a golf game in an hour, his secretary needs serviced right away, operates a drive by practice, develops a twitch for the first time in his life, on and on...

That's exactly what I'm thinking of. I have lil sight but I don't even wear glasses Bc I don't usually need em unless I'm looking at little letters on the white board at college. So I'm thinking still. Wouldn't want to be in that 2%

shadamai 05-23-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis845 (Post 809901)

I worry about that too, despite having a friend who had the procedure and was very satisfied. Another factor for me is that the surgery is still relatively new...what happens 40-50 years down the road? We don't know yet...and I will still be wanting to use my eyes then if I live that long. Most people seem to do well with it so far (I don't want to sound overly pessimistic), but I personally have chosen not to go that route.

94browninghunt 05-23-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadamai (Post 811527)
I worry about that too, despite having a friend who had the procedure and was very satisfied. Another factor for me is that the surgery is still relatively new...what happens 40-50 years down the road? We don't know yet...and I will still be wanting to use my eyes then if I live that long. Most people seem to do well with it so far (I don't want to sound overly pessimistic), but I personally have chosen not to go that route.

You've got me thinking now :o