Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Las Vegas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Las Vegas

Are there any other people from Las Vegas here? There are some things that I don't know about Vegas regarding firearms and ammunition that I am sure someone on here must know. And on top of that, it would be cool to have a shooting partner for when I go to the range. haha. Let me know.

Alpha Tau Omega - Eta Epsilon (UNLV)
Plead the 5th, Protect the 2nd

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey welcome to the forum!
Sorry I'm in Georgia

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ike, welcome to the forum, yes there are several from the Vegas area on the forum, I am sure that they will be stopping by shortly.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #4

Yup, what do you wanna know? Try local: nevadashooters.com or nevadahunters.com

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by markerdown; 05-09-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #5

Default Late

Late to the party, but I currently live in Vegas. I have a couple buddies here that I go shooting with, always welcome to have more along.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #6

@markerdown: I'm basically looking for good places to go shooting at. I also would like to know the best places to get supplies at, namely cheap ammo and a decent, cheap handgun.

@Grumypine: Awesome! Where do you guys go shooting at? I would definitely love to come out sometime.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #7

I'll post this public instead of in a PM just for others sake.

Supplies:

The best I have found so far (as well as for decent used guns) is Bargain Pawn, which is just north of downtown on Las Vegas Blvd. They can get busy on weekends, but I have found them pleasant enough and easy to deal with. Decent surplus ammo selection. A buddy of mine picked up a solid police issue used .38 revolver there. Their new gun prices are just ok, better than a Big 5 or Dick's, but their used inventory is where they shine.

I would avoid the tourist-oriented shops that rent machine guns for their indoor ranges - not only is it expensive to rent their stuff, their retail prices are ridiculous.

Shooting locations:

Been frequenting the Clark County Shooting Park at the very north end of Decatur Blvd for actual range shooting. Small range fee that is good all day (you can leave and come back), well organized and nice benches/cover/stands/etc. Nice dedicated rifle, pistol, and shotgun areas in various distance flavors. Have met some nice people there too.

There are a few desert spots that people like to go to outside of town where it is legal to discharge firearms. My friend's and I usually hit a spot that is south of the M Resort on Las Vegas Blvd. It is kind of like an old gravel pit. It's sad because it is so filled with trash that people have brought out to blast at (water heaters, tvs, furniture), but it works for when you want to hit things that aren't paper.

I'm sure markerdown has some preferences too.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #8

Bargain Pawn is where I got my gun transferred to from out of state. They had a huge selection of guns there. I was definitely impressed. I didn't look too much at prices or ammunition so it's definitely good to know that they are a good place to buy from.

I went to the Clark County Shooting Park once. It was really nice, to my surprise. All I have right now is a 12ga shotgun and I only had bird shot, so I could only do the skeet and trap shooting, but we took a look at the rifle and pistol range and it was really cool. I live more on the south side of Vegas though (actually right across the street from UNLV) so the place behind the M Resort sounds good. I went out north of Vegas trying to find a place that a co-worker told me about and I didn't find it. I guess I stopped a half mile before I should have and a ranger came and gave me a ticket for discharging a firearm. Because of that, I think I'll be sticking to Clark County shooting park unless I can go with someone who knows where they are going.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #9

Well, things are definitely limited at the shooting park if you only have that shotgun. I don't like how expensive it is for each round at the skeet range so I haven't tried it. Cheaper with a hand thrower out in the desert

I heard about the same spot in north of the city but never tried to find it. I live as far east as you can get, so whether I go south or north to the shooting park it's still a little bit of a drive.

Sounds like its time to drop $100 on a Mosin!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
Well, things are definitely limited at the shooting park if you only have that shotgun. I don't like how expensive it is for each round at the skeet range so I haven't tried it. Cheaper with a hand thrower out in the desert

I heard about the same spot in north of the city but never tried to find it. I live as far east as you can get, so whether I go south or north to the shooting park it's still a little bit of a drive.

Sounds like its time to drop $100 on a Mosin!
Yea, it was really limited. I didn't like the price either. That's why I tried to find the place in the desert after buying 100 shells and a box of clays from WalMart for like 1/100th the price. (maybe not that much cheaper) My dad ended up taking me to the shooting park and paying for me though, so that was good. I needed to get somewhat used to my gun.

As far as getting something new, I am definitely looking. I was kinda wanting a handgun, but I dunno what kind. A friend might be able to hook me up with a really nice snubnose .38 special. If not, I was looking at Glocks. I would also love to have a rifle and if I could find a Mosin at the price, I would def buy it.