Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   LAPD melts 40,000 pounds of guns, turns it into rebar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/lapd-melts-40-000-pounds-guns-turns-into-rebar-14061/)

janikphoto 05-22-2009 08:16 PM

LAPD melts 40,000 pounds of guns, turns it into rebar

I'm not quite sure how to go to Yahoo news and make a link to their videos, but they currently have a news story titled: LAPD melts 40,000 pounds of guns, turns it into rebar

The worst part is the quote near the end, talking about the "illegal" weapons being taken off the street. Though some may be illegal, they state earlier that many are from average homes that just don't want the firearms anymore. However, the ending quote makes it sound like all 40,000 lbs of guns are illegal. Kind of a biased video edit, if you ask me...

By the way, can someone figure out a way to link the video to here?

skullcrusher 05-22-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janikphoto (Post 108184)
I'm not quite sure how to go to Yahoo news and make a link to their videos, but they currently have a news story titled: LAPD melts 40,000 pounds of guns, turns it into rebar

The worst part is the quote near the end, talking about the "illegal" weapons being taken off the street. Though some may be illegal, they state earlier that many are from average homes that just don't want the firearms anymore. However, the ending quote makes it sound like all 40,000 lbs of guns are illegal. Kind of a biased video edit, if you ask me...

By the way, can someone figure out a way to link the video to here?

How do the police melt 20 tons of guns? Did they buy a foundry? Who's smelter did they use?

Anyway, there have been buy-back or trade-in programs going now for a few years in many municipalities. I think that 40,000# is not a large number if they have been storing for years. The trade-ins may be illegal as in the trader got the gun illegally or is not legally allowed to have one. Any gun taken from a crime scene or felon's house is illegal. Most times, it is the use of or possession of a firearm that makes it illegal. I.E.: a 9mm carbine is not illegal in itself, but once fired in the city limits, it becomes an illegal firearm. Therein lies the guns do not commit crimes dealy.

mrm14 05-22-2009 09:43 PM

Possiably a company called Fortune Metals. They've been in the L.A. area for several years now. They are baised out of Rhode Island and recycle all kinds of metals nation wide. I believe they have a yard somewhere east of L.A. area in desert. Don't know if they have a smelter there but as of a few years ago the chopped all kinds of metals into small chunks which they then shipped off all over the world. They may be gone from there now, I'm not sure. At the time they were selling copper to China.

skullcrusher 05-22-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 108209)
Possiably a company called Fortune Metals. They've been in the L.A. area for several years now. They are baised out of Rhode Island and recycle all kinds of metals nation wide. I believe they have a yard somewhere east of L.A. area in desert. Don't know if they have a smelter there but as of a few years ago the chopped all kinds of metals into small chunks which they then shipped off all over the world. They may be gone from there now, I'm not sure. At the time they were selling copper to China.

Yea, that is useful, thanks. :rolleyes: