Language Filter - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Language Filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #121
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Nope, definitely a dude. Trust me, he would not make a very pretty girl. Sorry TWW but it's true. You're not an ugly dude, just not a very pretty girl.
That hit the nail-Right on top of the head!!!!!!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #122
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Do I need to send you a junk shot?
Do you have a macro lens?

j/k No Pics, No Pics!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #123
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Posting junk shots

250px-sanfordandsontitlecard.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #124

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Here's my junk. It's HUGE!

sam_0394.jpg  

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #125
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10693

My thoughts? I don't think having a Draconian crackdown on language is the answer. This is by far one of the more tame online communities I have been associated with by far. There are others that I am on where members seem to make sport out of out-cursing others and attacking members viciously for their posts and the mods are among the worst offenders. There is one 4 wheeling forum I was on for a long time where a new guy posted a thread saying that he was disappointed by the fact that if a newbie posted a question then 90% of the responses were some variation of "Use the "search" function you stupid $%&#@#&%*$#&" (and that would be a tame response along that line). I chimed in and posted what I thought was my well written thoughts which summed up to say that the guy had a valid point and furthermore the "search" function was generally a waste of time even when one did use it. I was basically run out of the forum for having this opinion. Oh well. No skin of my backside. (Note: I could use the more common version of the preceding saying and IMO it has a much better and more effective ring to it)

I digress.

At any rate, as many of you have seen I am fairly proficient with the English language and yet I still do swear. I was raised with the belief that swearing indicated that a person has a limited vocabulary or poor grasp of the vocabulary they do have and I now disagree with that position. Swearing can be a very effective means to getting your point across, but it very quickly becomes tiresome when overdone. I believe it was being overdone here, but I don't think the heavy handed approach is appropriate.

Not to overstate my point but the same sort of thing happened after Sandy Hook. The reaction of banning guns for law abiding citizens and heavy restrictions on firearms that people already owned was not an effective way to address what was (and is) a very different and more complex issue as we all know.

Also, this idea of "My house, my rules" is indeed valid to a point. I would say that FTF is also to a certain extent my house as well, as it is also the "house" of all supporting members (with due respect to Notdku and all of the forum administrators). We paid for that privilege.

The First Amendment says that the government cannot restrict our freedom of speech. It does not protect us from being offended by the free speech of other individuals. (and yes, I am aware that the Constitution does not apply to the forum. That is not my point.)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #126
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5703 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

I have no problem with any rules that enforce civility among the members so long as they're enforced fairly and with an even hand.

Although I've been guilty of being lazy and resorting to curse words instead of making the effort to use proper terminology, I think this policy is good, and long overdue.

If one reads the largest gun forums on the web, such as Glock Talk, The High Road, etc, foul language and insults will get you banned very quickly.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #127
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

I can understand a desire to limit swearing. If we're trying to generate continued improving #'s and attract new sponsors. You want them to see that the site and forums can generate income...I'm all for free speech, but I'm also for civility...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #128
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1207 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I can understand a desire to limit swearing. If we're trying to generate continued improving #'s and attract new sponsors. You want them to see that the site and forums can generate income...I'm all for free speech, but I'm also for civility...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

+1....... Excellent post DrFootball

Old 03-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Look at that you learned two completely useless facts today.
Thanks, Cinder. Now I'm ready to get on a "useless trivia" TV show like Jeopardy!

Old 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #130
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1755 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 5315

7734 Silly stuff here.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
orangello Likes This