KO'd by a Kanga

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > KO'd by a Kanga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default KO'd by a Kanga

Jogger knocked out by boxing kangaroo

Mt Ainslie, Canberra

March 19, 2010 - 4:07PM

Even after years playing football, David Striegl had never got into a fight - until he was knocked out cold by a rogue kangaroo.

Mr Striegl, 25, was running up Canberra's Mount Ainslie during his lunchbreak on Thursday and did not think twice when he spotted one of the resident roos nearby.

The bushland reserve in the nation's capital is popular with joggers and cyclists, and assaults by the marsupials who share the mountain are rare.

Mr Striegl was knocked unconscious and remembers little about the attack.

"I turned around and before I knew it, it took a swipe at my face," he said.

A passing motorist roused the dazed and bloody victim and took him to hospital. After x-rays and a tetanus shot he was able to go home with only a black eye to show for the encounter.

But he has now become something of legend at his corporate real estate office, where he returned to work the next day to discover he had a new nickname - "Skippy".

"I didn't want to wait til Monday to face the music," he said. "The main thing they've been asking is whether I got one (punch) back on the roo.

"I can't even say that, because one punch and it put me to the floor. All my years of playing football and never a fight, and then I have a fight with a kangaroo."

So will Mr Striegl be running back to the area any time soon and risk a second round?

"Yeah, a few guys from work said they might come with me though," he laughed.

The attack comes a year after a crazed kangaroo crashed through a sleeping family's window at Garran, in Canberra's south, before going on a rampage through their home.

Beat Ettlin, his partner Verity Beman and their nine-year-old daughter Beatrix hid under blankets as the two-metre high animal jumped on top of them and gouged holes and their furniture.

Mr Ettlin eventually wrestled the thrashing animal and dragged it out of the house, saving his family from serious injury.

Jogger knocked out by boxing kangaroo

Definately not a 'cute & cuddly' animal, contrary to what many tourists think:

Quote:
But he has now become something of legend at his corporate real estate office, where he returned to work the next day to discover he had a new nickname - "Skippy".
Well that was kinda inevitable. He's never gonna live it down now lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What are the odds???

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Close enough to a deer for me to severly dislike them. I wonder how much trouble he would be in if he were to go back with a pipe full of lead shot to smack that thing down.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Close enough to a deer for me to severly dislike them. I wonder how much trouble he would be in if he were to go back with a pipe full of lead shot to smack that thing down.

More trouble than you can imagine. Not only for killing protected wildlife, but for discharging a firearm illegally on public land...you could kiss your gun, licence & freedom goodbye in one simple hit

This guy couldn't have known...but jogging was probably one of the most threatening things he could have been doing (from a roo's point of view):

Quote:
And if a kangaroo becomes aggressive:

If you are approached by an aggressive kangaroo you should keep it at a safe distance so that it can't kick or scratch. For example, hold up a stick or branch, or stay behind a fence or a tree. Move away from the animal as quickly as you can. Turning your back on it and running could be dangerous as a large male can easily outrun you and still kick at the same time. Turn side-on and protect the front of your body with your arms and keep your head as far away from the kangaroo as possible to minimise the risk of being scratched on the face.

If it is a large male that has been displaying dominance behaviour, it may see you as a threat. Protect yourself and let the kangaroo know you are not a threat by giving a short, deep cough, avoiding eye contact and crouching down as you move away.

Females and smaller male kangaroos are less likely to be aggressive but may approach if they are used to being fed or have had a lot of human contact. Even though females are much smaller than males, they can scratch and kick and could pose a safety risk - particularly to small children.

As a last resort, if you can't escape an attacking kangaroo, roll up into a ball on the ground with your arm covering your neck and call for help. Try to roll or crawl away to a safe place.
Kangaroos (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Zhuk, let me fix that for you...

Quote:
And if a kangaroo becomes aggressive:

If you are approached by an aggressive kangaroo you should keep it at a safe distance then shoot that ****ing thing.

As a last resort, SHOOT IT twice.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Z, i was really thinking more of an actual pipe with lead shot in it for weight, given the firearms restrictions there, but had it been me or a friend who got socked, a shotty would've seemed pretty appropriate.
I think we need a Kangaroo pic in this thread:

This one seems more friendly.

Z, do NOT go making yourself a loaded pipe for smacking things; i would hate to hear you were posting from jail.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Z, i was really thinking more of an actual pipe with lead shot in it for weight, given the firearms restrictions there, but had it been me or a friend who got socked, a shotty would've seemed pretty appropriate.
I think we need a Kangaroo pic in this thread:

This one seems more friendly.

Z, do NOT go making yourself a loaded pipe for smacking things; i would hate to hear you were posting from jail.

Yeah, a loaded weighty pipe would be pretty dodgy, heh. And who knows? maybe the Feds have got some squad of killer roos trained up somewhere lol

Quote:

Last edited by zhuk; 03-20-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Then you can have one of these neat little coin pouches.

roopurse.jpg  

Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Then you can have one of these neat little coin pouches.

Or at least the 'matching pair', for authenticity

hahaha

Quote:

Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey zhuk, I bet you guys don't have these.

Bullie Bag Desk Item Novelty Gift

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer