Knife Sharpening - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Knife Sharpening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I use the Lansky, but do not get razor edges. I can achieve a passable edge that holds for a good time, but not as good as I would like.
Do you put a double bevel on the blade? Do get a good edge, I don't just sharpen at a single angle on each side until the edge forms a "V" shape. I first sharpen at about a 20 degree angle, then put a secondary bevel at about 30 degress off the first bevel. Sharpen both side until a burr forms, then strop on a piece of leather to remove the burr.
KimberFan Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

As a knife maker, a few things to remember, nothing beats a good ol' wet stone sharpening, I say stay away from those electric motorized knife sharpeners that use a small belt that I see advertised in hardware stores now...my gawd. I saw someone demonstrate the use of one of these little belt sharpeners at an outdoor show and must say, if you can see the contact area during any knife sharpening turn orange, you can bet you're looking at the HEAT take the temper right off your blade. The Lansky sharpeners work well for sure. I don't use any metal to metal carbide type sharpeners, they don't really sharpen, those do a stock removal and tear up a knife edge. I use an EDGE PRO system but, that's something to have if you're in the multiple knife sharpening line and not wanting to keep your pocket knife or kitchen knives sharp only. A good wet stone and a lot of practice will produce a hair popping edge. You just need to work at finding the right angle and hold on it. Once you find it, it's a piece of cake to keep an edge on your blades. Just my two bits.

Knife Sharpening - The Club House

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Last edited by KimberFan; 05-27-2013 at 11:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #13

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I picked up this sharpening stone, but I don't know sh!t about sharpening a knife!!!

image-806964072.jpg

Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #14

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

I use a smiths which is like a lansky , I cut my first edge with a couse stone at 20 deg both sides hilt to tip then I do it again at 25 deg withthe course stone lightly, then fine stone stone at 25 deg until its sharp enough to shave with . I dont use any oils either , I used to in the past but it seems like it wears stones faster so I quit and they seem to last longer

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #15

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Smith's is a great name in sharpening. I personally have a special disdain for diamond though. It's just so damn aggressive.

I have a Pike Combo stone, 800/1200. I rarely use the 800 side, none of my knives get bad enough to need it. I did use it to sharpen a scrap piece of steel once, just to see if I could...

I finish my edges with a 20K grit water stone, then strop them on a leather girth strap with polishing compound rubbed in (think flitz, but off brand. I've only recently been able to actually find flitz)

Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #16

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I use a smiths which is like a lansky , I cut my first edge with a couse stone at 20 deg both sides hilt to tip then I do it again at 25 deg withthe course stone lightly, then fine stone stone at 25 deg until its sharp enough to shave with . I dont use any oils either , I used to in the past but it seems like it wears stones faster so I quit and they seem to last longer
The concept of using oil is to keep the metal from clogging the pores of the stone. This as per an actual instruction pamphlet I've seen in the past.

Does it really matter? Not if what works for you, works for you!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #17

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Hmmm kinda cool my go to fine stone is a Smiths soft Arkansas lol
MOshooter Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4562 Times on 2521 Posts
Likes Given: 23090

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
A couple of months ago I was in my local cigar shop. One of the other customers is another long time gun enthusiest and top Bullseye shooter, and pursuant to a prior conversation I brought him an extra Lansky sharpening kit that I had picked up cheap at a gun show.

One of the younger guys (early 20's) there commented that he could use something like that, as his knife was dull. He pulled it out, and the edge was slightly better than a butterknife. My buddy said, "Give it here", and proceeded to use the Lansky set to put a good edge on it in about 15 minutes, then I took off my leather belt and give it a final stopping. The newly sharpened blade would shave hair off your arm.

The younger guy acted as if we had performed magic.

So . . . to the point of this thread. Everyone who owns knives should understand the basics of sharpening, and a good place to start is the "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening". It does one of the best jobs I've seen of explaining the principles of how to put an edge on a knife, and ax, or other tools. I'd been sharpening knives for 20 years when I first read it, and it improved my techique significantly.

To me, a "must have" for any outdoorsman's or knife user's library.
What you need to do is rent these things..! I just happen to have three blades
27" long and that sure would help..! Eeeek..!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #19

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

lol ya Ive been starting to work on longer stuff, parang my go to

Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #20

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
What you need to do is rent these things..! I just happen to have three blades
27" long and that sure would help..! Eeeek..!
The Lansky system doesn't really work on knives that large. The Edge Pro system is based on the same principal and works on larger knives, but I've never personally used it, and don't know the size limits.