Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Knife Sharpening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Knife Sharpening

A couple of months ago I was in my local cigar shop. One of the other customers is another long time gun enthusiest and top Bullseye shooter, and pursuant to a prior conversation I brought him an extra Lansky sharpening kit that I had picked up cheap at a gun show.

One of the younger guys (early 20's) there commented that he could use something like that, as his knife was dull. He pulled it out, and the edge was slightly better than a butterknife. My buddy said, "Give it here", and proceeded to use the Lansky set to put a good edge on it in about 15 minutes, then I took off my leather belt and give it a final stopping. The newly sharpened blade would shave hair off your arm.

The younger guy acted as if we had performed magic.

So . . . to the point of this thread. Everyone who owns knives should understand the basics of sharpening, and a good place to start is the "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening". It does one of the best jobs I've seen of explaining the principles of how to put an edge on a knife, and ax, or other tools. I'd been sharpening knives for 20 years when I first read it, and it improved my techique significantly.

To me, a "must have" for any outdoorsman's or knife user's library.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16907 Times on 9801 Posts
Likes Given: 44098

sharpening a knfe is as much an art as it is a skill. personally, i can put a passable edge on a blade! just sharp enough to get the job done, but nothing to brag about.

People Like This 
Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

Liked 259 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

For me it depends on what metal its made from. Kershaws I can razor edge, Buck, Gerber not so much, Cases go both ways
But I agree its somwhat of an art form.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1088 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 71

My Father could put a good edge on a knife, a tool or whatever needed it. It is not a gene I inherited. I regularly pay someone to sharpen my cooking cutlery, and buy inexpensive throw away pocket knives because I can screw up an edge. I will have to look for that book.

I am tired of buying gadgets that don't work!

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3842 Times on 2299 Posts
Likes Given: 3229

We use to have a guy drive around sharpening knives in the local towns. Rang a bell like an ice cream shop. He would sharpen my knives for cheap. It is an art though. I have not seen him in years

Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I use the Lansky, but do not get razor edges. I can achieve a passable edge that holds for a good time, but not as good as I would like.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
A couple of months ago I was in my local cigar shop. One of the other customers is another long time gun enthusiest and top Bullseye shooter, and pursuant to a prior conversation I brought him an extra Lansky sharpening kit that I had picked up cheap at a gun show.

One of the younger guys (early 20's) there commented that he could use something like that, as his knife was dull. He pulled it out, and the edge was slightly better than a butterknife. My buddy said, "Give it here", and proceeded to use the Lansky set to put a good edge on it in about 15 minutes, then I took off my leather belt and give it a final stopping. The newly sharpened blade would shave hair off your arm.

The younger guy acted as if we had performed magic.

So . . . to the point of this thread. Everyone who owns knives should understand the basics of sharpening, and a good place to start is the "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening". It does one of the best jobs I've seen of explaining the principles of how to put an edge on a knife, and ax, or other tools. I'd been sharpening knives for 20 years when I first read it, and it improved my techique significantly.

To me, a "must have" for any outdoorsman's or knife user's library.
I would love some tips on sharpening possum. I am going to order this book

Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #8

Liked 259 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

So what is the 'Lansky"?
I use a flat stone lol

Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I used to work in a Gates plant in the knife room and learned how to sharpen knifes. Good metal makes a world of difference. I use Gerber skinning knives and they have good metal, Buck knives are hard to sharpen and have some of the best metal.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #10

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I use the Lansky, but do not get razor edges. I can achieve a passable edge that holds for a good time, but not as good as I would like.
Didn't Dillinger review the Wicked Edge. I bought one and sharpened all my knives over the course of a month. That was about a year ago. All of them even my daily box opening and breaking down knife will still shave hair off your arms.

Biggest thing I found is to know your steel. Some steels hold a better 17* edge some hold a 30* edge better.