Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Knife Sharpening (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/knife-sharpening-91343/)

txpossum 05-27-2013 05:50 PM

Knife Sharpening

A couple of months ago I was in my local cigar shop. One of the other customers is another long time gun enthusiest and top Bullseye shooter, and pursuant to a prior conversation I brought him an extra Lansky sharpening kit that I had picked up cheap at a gun show.

One of the younger guys (early 20's) there commented that he could use something like that, as his knife was dull. He pulled it out, and the edge was slightly better than a butterknife. My buddy said, "Give it here", and proceeded to use the Lansky set to put a good edge on it in about 15 minutes, then I took off my leather belt and give it a final stopping. The newly sharpened blade would shave hair off your arm.

The younger guy acted as if we had performed magic.

So . . . to the point of this thread. Everyone who owns knives should understand the basics of sharpening, and a good place to start is the "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening". It does one of the best jobs I've seen of explaining the principles of how to put an edge on a knife, and ax, or other tools. I'd been sharpening knives for 20 years when I first read it, and it improved my techique significantly.

To me, a "must have" for any outdoorsman's or knife user's library.

Axxe55 05-27-2013 06:16 PM

sharpening a knfe is as much an art as it is a skill. personally, i can put a passable edge on a blade! just sharp enough to get the job done, but nothing to brag about.

racer_x 05-27-2013 06:29 PM

For me it depends on what metal its made from. Kershaws I can razor edge, Buck, Gerber not so much, Cases go both ways
But I agree its somwhat of an art form.

Daoust_Nat 05-27-2013 10:17 PM

My Father could put a good edge on a knife, a tool or whatever needed it. It is not a gene I inherited. I regularly pay someone to sharpen my cooking cutlery, and buy inexpensive throw away pocket knives because I can screw up an edge. I will have to look for that book.

I am tired of buying gadgets that don't work!

Jagermeister 05-27-2013 10:24 PM

We use to have a guy drive around sharpening knives in the local towns. Rang a bell like an ice cream shop. He would sharpen my knives for cheap. It is an art though. I have not seen him in years:(

robocop10mm 05-27-2013 10:26 PM

I use the Lansky, but do not get razor edges. I can achieve a passable edge that holds for a good time, but not as good as I would like.

JMAtactical 05-27-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum
A couple of months ago I was in my local cigar shop. One of the other customers is another long time gun enthusiest and top Bullseye shooter, and pursuant to a prior conversation I brought him an extra Lansky sharpening kit that I had picked up cheap at a gun show.

One of the younger guys (early 20's) there commented that he could use something like that, as his knife was dull. He pulled it out, and the edge was slightly better than a butterknife. My buddy said, "Give it here", and proceeded to use the Lansky set to put a good edge on it in about 15 minutes, then I took off my leather belt and give it a final stopping. The newly sharpened blade would shave hair off your arm.

The younger guy acted as if we had performed magic.

So . . . to the point of this thread. Everyone who owns knives should understand the basics of sharpening, and a good place to start is the "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening". It does one of the best jobs I've seen of explaining the principles of how to put an edge on a knife, and ax, or other tools. I'd been sharpening knives for 20 years when I first read it, and it improved my techique significantly.

To me, a "must have" for any outdoorsman's or knife user's library.

I would love some tips on sharpening possum. I am going to order this book

racer_x 05-27-2013 10:38 PM

So what is the 'Lansky"?
I use a flat stone lol

tri70 05-27-2013 10:44 PM

I used to work in a Gates plant in the knife room and learned how to sharpen knifes. Good metal makes a world of difference. I use Gerber skinning knives and they have good metal, Buck knives are hard to sharpen and have some of the best metal.

gunnut07 05-27-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1259670)
I use the Lansky, but do not get razor edges. I can achieve a passable edge that holds for a good time, but not as good as I would like.

Didn't Dillinger review the Wicked Edge. I bought one and sharpened all my knives over the course of a month. That was about a year ago. All of them even my daily box opening and breaking down knife will still shave hair off your arms.

Biggest thing I found is to know your steel. Some steels hold a better 17* edge some hold a 30* edge better.