Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Kindle for reading books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kindle for reading books

Anyone have a Kindle for reading ebooks? How about some PROs & CONs..
Thanks in advance..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Pick up this months issue of PC World mag and they have a rather large review of the 4 major e-book readers.

I would really look at the NOOK from B&N over the Kindel. The Nook comes with wi-fi and a wi-fi 3g version. The 3g version comes with FREE 3g access anywhere there is a 3g network. My wife was looking at them and we liked the looks feel and options you got on the nook over the kendel or kendel dx.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Nook and I love it. Tango pointed out its PROs and I would add the fact that you can loan books from your e-library to other Nook owners for two weeks free of charge. Plus, some hardback books can get goddang HEAVY.....the Nook is not heavy at all.

The CONs, in my opinion, are only two: (1) not good for a book that has photos; and (2) some people just like the feel of having a book in their hands.

Last edited by lonyaeger; 09-23-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #4

Liked 1018 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Check your local library for compatibility on their books. My wife is going to get a Nook over the Kindle because our library rents books using a system that is compatible with Nook but not with Kindle.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is an older issue but I remember some Kindle users got their books deleted from their Kindle with out their permission. The irony is this happened to 1984 and Animal Farm.

I'm lookin' at getting a Nook personally, I like havin' that little LCD screen at the bottom for scrolling through books.

In full disclosure though, I've got a Kindle app for my 'droid, I just haven't used it for more than 20 seconds though.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The gal and I got Kindles after the big launch and I have to say that I love mine.

The best thing is the screen. There is no glare, so you can read it perfectly in direct sunlight, like at the beach or on the deck of a cruiseship, without having to constantly squint and tilt the "book" to finish a page. That is definitely one of the huge pluses for me.

Storage is great and the free Whispernet, or whatever it is called, allowed me to get a couple of new books in about 45 seconds when I was on a trip and had finished the two I had loaded. Foreign country, port of call, just fired right up and downloaded the books with no problems what-so-ever.

They have a "resource" center of live humans at the other end of Whispernet, where you can ask questions and get real feedback answers with links to books that might help. I was having an argument here on the forum with a foreign national and I wanted some ammo to put him in his place. Typed in a couple of questions and got some links about Germany advancing into France during WW2 that were most helpful in my little battle.

Con would be that I have kind of big hands and this thing light and small, so I have to be careful with how I grab it or hold it, otherwise I hit some of buttons on the sides and flip thru 20 pages of a book or something. Kind of aggravating.

The battery life was really good when I first got it, but I have noticed that it is not as long lasting as it once was. Because of the small size and light weight, I don't imagine the battery is super hardcore, so this is to be expected.

I have downloaded, probably, 100 books and swapped them back and forth from the Kindle to my laptop and haven't had a problem.

All in all I do like the Kindle concept. It's easy to get through the airport with it, it packs and carries well without problems and there is always the option of downloading something right from Amazon's library if you have the two linked, so you are never without something to read.

That said, I don't know anything about the new units and all their pluses. I do know that my woman wants an IPad really bad.

JD

Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Although it pisses me off that I paid $249 for mine and now you can get them for $139.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have downloaded, probably, 100 books and swapped them back and forth from the Kindle to my laptop and haven't had a problem.
Since when is this feature made available?

The major complain I heard from most users (a few years back) is that they cannot backup their book copies. Some lost their kindle (either damaged or stolen) and ALL their book are lost with it.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Since when is this feature made available?

The major complain I heard from most users (a few years back) is that they cannot backup their book copies. Some lost their kindle (either damaged or stolen) and ALL their book are lost with it.
I just plug my Kindle into my laptop and trade books back and forth. It came with the Kindle when I bought it. I didn't realize it was an issue for anyone else.

I have a seperate file called "Kindle" in My Documents and that is where the stuff is stored. I am not sure if I can open any of the files with the laptop, but I will look into it tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know.

I haven't had any problems with it. *shrug*

Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1997 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I have Kindle on my Android, Samsung Epic. One very sweet app. Whether I'm reading on my laptop or reading on my Epic, Kindle syncs the devices automatically so I always pull up where I left off from either. It syncs all bookmarks and highlighting as well.

I didn't think I'd be using Kindle at all on my Epic. I was wrong. It's fantastic.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA