Killing a tree - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Killing a tree

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Zombiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest,Indiana
Posts: 4,126
Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy
I've killed an extremely tenacious elm stump with softener salt pellets in largish (~1-1/2"x2" deep) drilled holes. Seems like any type of salt would work; this was just the cheapest per pound...
I noticed when I cut the grass today that the darn stump in the back is starting to do the same thing. I should of had the stmps removed but I didn't want yo tear up landscaping or pay hundreds extra. I will be trying the salt first.
Zombiegirl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,070
Liked 2816 Times on 1830 Posts

Default

Hostas are hardy, I would wait for cooler weather to transplant though. If they have been there for several years, and have at least 15 stalks per clump...you can cut the root ball into 2-4 pieces vertically, then plant. After a few years they will look like the original. I have a LARGE patch, and have given many to friends, you can't tell by looking at the patch that it has been dug.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Zombiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest,Indiana
Posts: 4,126
Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
Hostas are hardy, I would wait for cooler weather to transplant though. If they have been there for several years, and have at least 15 stalks per clump...you can cut the root ball into 2-4 pieces vertically, then plant. After a few years they will look like the original. I have a LARGE patch, and have given many to friends, you can't tell by looking at the patch that it has been dug.
We had our deck redone on the back this year and we had to move some pretty huge hostas. Holy crap!! We had a heck of a time splitting them and they were very heavy. I'm hoping that I can kill the stump without killing the hostas because I can't even imagine moving them. Fingers crossed...... I figure if they die, there's plenty in the yard for me to put some back later.
Zombiegirl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,070
Liked 2816 Times on 1830 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl

We had our deck redone on the back this year and we had to move some pretty huge hostas. Holy crap!! We had a heck of a time splitting them and they were very heavy. I'm hoping that I can kill the stump without killing the hostas because I can't even imagine moving them. Fingers crossed...... I figure if they die, there's plenty in the yard for me to put some back later.
Use a shovel to split before digging, or a spade for more length.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,631
Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Default

We always just used rock salt on stumps. Drill a bunch of 1" holes in the top of the stump,and fill with salt.
Also dig a small trench around the stump,and pour salt all the way around it.
The salt will kill everything in/around the stump for a while,but then the grass will come back greener than it's ever been after a while.
You can get bulk bags of salt at swimming pool supply's,or most warehouse type stores.
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
We had our deck redone on the back this year and we had to move some pretty huge hostas. Holy crap!! We had a heck of a time splitting them and they were very heavy. I'm hoping that I can kill the stump without killing the hostas because I can't even imagine moving them. Fingers crossed...... I figure if they die, there's plenty in the yard for me to put some back later.
Screw the hostas. kill the stump with poison, fire and explosives and then start from there. Far as I know you can't eat hostas.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Zombiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest,Indiana
Posts: 4,126
Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Screw the hostas. kill the stump with poison, fire and explosives and then start from there. Far as I know you can't eat hostas.
Haha. You sound like my husband. He for some reason hates my hostas.
Zombiegirl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,796
Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Default

I work in the farm chem turf industry for a living . Buy a Qt. of crossbow at your local farm store and put some in between the first couple rings and the bark . This will kill it. It is in a qt. Bottle and has a easy to use spout

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-24-2012 at 03:47 AM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Zombiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest,Indiana
Posts: 4,126
Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I work in the farm chem turf industry for a living . Buy a Qt. of crossbow at your local farm store and put some in between the first couple rings and the bark . This will kill it.
A local farm store??? Hmmmmm.....I would have to search for that.
Zombiegirl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Idaho --,Happy
Posts: 1,905
Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Put a "For Sale" on it "$ 300". It will be gone in a week.
Flat Tire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Tree Stand SirIsaacNewton Hunting Forum 28 03-28-2014 05:31 AM
Fun tree. towboater The Club House 2 05-13-2011 02:08 AM
The Tree Stand sarge_257 Hunting Forum 3 10-25-2010 03:12 AM
Dueling tree. hudd357mag General Handgun Discussion 3 08-08-2010 10:57 AM



Newest Threads