Killing Me Softly - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Killing Me Softly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5716 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Many years ago, I heard Paul Harvey say:

I have been attacked by the left as a right wing extremist, and I have been attacked by the right as a left wing extremist.

That must put me somewhere near the extreme center.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Dublin Irelands 1st Smog Alert?

Betty Ford Hospitalized?

Retail Sales Climb by a Modest 0.2% ?

The opening weekend of Wall Street. Michael Douglas' character, Gordon Gekko memorably declared "greed, for lack of a better word, is good". The film solidified America's thirst for materialism at a time when it was being held as a true American virtue anyway. The Film is also known to have inspired many to become stockbrokers.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
dango Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2833 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
The opening weekend of Wall Street. Michael Douglas' character, Gordon Gekko memorably declared "greed, for lack of a better word, is good". The film solidified America's thirst for materialism at a time when it was being held as a true American virtue anyway. The Film is also known to have inspired many to become stockbrokers.
One can also thank "All the President's Men" for the so-called journalism we are forced to endure today. Or perhaps "The China Syndrome" (w/ Hanoi Jane) for scaring people away from nuclear power. How about the "Motorcycle Diaries" for making Che seem like a decent sort of fellow, not the cowardly murderer he actually was. Viva la propaganda movie.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of materialism. It's when you'd knock down your own grandmother for a buck, that's when you've taken it too far. Don't confuse selfish with self interest.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #24

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I wouldn't knock down my own Grandmother. She knows better than to get in my way. Now yours...

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

There's nothing wrong with a bit of materialism. It's when you'd knock down your own grandmother for a buck, that's when you've taken it too far. Don't confuse selfish with self interest.
Ah, but confusing selfish behavior with self interest is exactly the problem isn't it. Too many don't realize there's a difference.

Also, the "bit" of materialism is pretty sketchy. There's a reason that so many millionaires are cheapskates and why "money can't buy you happiness" It's because materialism has no end. There is no place you can reach that dings the high score mark. There's always some jackass that sneers at your $3000 shoes because his are endangered condor skin and you're just some wank that buys last years opulence. Then you burn those shoes. Burn them in a rage of envy while your wife cries in the corner. "I don't care ! I don't care about the money!" she screams. You lash out towards her "I'll get that account tomorrow and then they'll all see....They'll know I'm the big dog in this house and I'll get what I deserve! That sonofabitch Martin has shown me up for the last time!." "I'm taking the kids to my mothers!" she screams in a sobbing wail as she rifles through the closet. You're furious at the idea of being abandoned. "You ungrateful bitch! I gave you everything! Go! Go on you whore!" Your wife cries hysterically as she runs out of the bedroom with a hastily packed suitcase. The smell of burnt Italian leather fills a now deafening silence. The $20,000 marble adoring the bedroom fireplace is strangely no consolation. Slumped over, You rub its cold indifference. Caressing the smooth, masterful achievement as drops of saline mar the otherwise perfect surface. You wipe them away, but they never seem to stop falling.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
dango Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3170 Times on 1802 Posts
Likes Given: 18420

Quote:
It already happened. The event occurred at 6 pm eastern on December 11th 1987. All down hill since then
I may be wrong , but I'd say 1984 with (NUCLEAR JACK WALSH ETHICS)
"Reagan-omics", " Lean and mean" .! No it or not , his policies empowered the dark over-lords , heads of big corps. ! That took away the security of all blue collar people.! Anybody remember the way he handled the air traffic controllers strike.? Bad Joo Joo man..!

I know I just opened "Pandora's Box" here , so's I'll quit before the words start flying , see Yaa..!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Don't mess with my paradise, I told you once.........

Become steel or get cut.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5716 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

I guess I'm the "minority report" here. I don't hate smart people, hard working entrepreneurs, successful and/or rich folks, the people who provide jobs for the rest of us. Hell, I ENVY them.

Sure, their are arse-wholes on nob hill. But there are a helluva bigger percentage of arse-wholes in the trailer park and at the welfare office.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Ah, but confusing selfish behavior with self interest is exactly the problem isn't it. Too many don't realize there's a difference.

Also, the "bit" of materialism is pretty sketchy. There's a reason that so many millionaires are cheapskates and why "money can't buy you happiness" It's because materialism has no end. There is no place you can reach that dings the high score mark. There's always some jackass that sneers at your $3000 shoes because his are endangered condor skin and you're just some wank that buys last years opulence. Then you burn those shoes. Burn them in a rage of envy while your wife cries in the corner. "I don't care ! I don't care about the money!" she screams. You lash out towards her "I'll get that account tomorrow and then they'll all see....They'll know I'm the big dog in this house and I'll get what I deserve! That sonofabitch Martin has shown me up for the last time!." "I'm taking the kids to my mothers!" she screams in a sobbing wail as she rifles through the closet. You're furious at the idea of being abandoned. "You ungrateful bitch! I gave you everything! Go! Go on you whore!" Your wife cries hysterically as she runs out of the bedroom with a hastily packed suitcase. The smell of burnt Italian leather fills a now deafening silence. The $20,000 marble adoring the bedroom fireplace is strangely no consolation. Slumped over, You rub its cold indifference. Caressing the smooth, masterful achievement as drops of saline mar the otherwise perfect surface. You wipe them away, but they never seem to stop falling.
$20K for the marble fireplace surround? Cheapskate.

True, money can't buy happiness. But would you rather be angry & pissed off in your house or under the overpass?
A bit of materialism is spending a bit more for that 1911you want, rather than just getting the used HiPoint. A lot of materialism is buying the company that makes that 1911.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 05-13-2013 at 01:44 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I may be wrong , but I'd say 1984 with (NUCLEAR JACK WALSH ETHICS)
"Reagan-omics", " Lean and mean" .! No it or not , his policies empowered the dark over-lords , heads of big corps. ! That took away the security of all blue collar people.! Anybody remember the way he handled the air traffic controllers strike.? Bad Joo Joo man..!

I know I just opened "Pandora's Box" here , so's I'll quit before the words start flying , see Yaa..!
The Air Traffic controllers were in clear violation of the law by striking. I'd have fired them too, and walked away smiling.
NRA Life Member

dango Likes This