Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Kids Perspectives Trump Ours

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7332 Times on 4250 Posts
Likes Given: 9450

Default Kids Perspectives Trump Ours

Awhile ago there was a thread about a recent Cheerios commercial where a biracial family was depicted. I can't find the thread right now but I ran across this video of a bunch of kids who are shown the commercial and then asked questions about it. Their responses inspire me. If only we could all see race through the eyes of these kids.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
johnr1943 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Awhile ago there was a thread about a recent Cheerios commercial where a biracial family was depicted. I can't find the thread right now but I ran across this video of a bunch of kids who are shown the commercial and then asked questions about it. Their responses inspire me. If only we could all see race through the eyes of these kids...
It takes BOTH side to grow up and grow healthy attitudes. With entitlement slants that currently exist today, it may take another generation to sort this out.

We're not there yet...

Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Liked 1724 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:
Awhile ago there was a thread about a recent Cheerios commercial where a biracial family was depicted. I can't find the thread right now but I ran across this video of a bunch of kids who are shown the commercial and then asked questions about it. Their responses inspire me. If only we could all see race through the eyes of these kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifdBFp5pnw
I would be interested in hearing a LEO's impressions of that video. It's my opinion that four of those kids are either outright lying, or they have enough doubt about the situation to know their honest opinion may not be welcome.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I would be interested in hearing a LEO's impressions of that video. It's my opinion that four of those kids are either outright lying, or they have enough doubt about the situation to know their honest opinion may not be welcome.
Any of the resident LEO's care to comment?

I think that perhaps you are overanalyzing kids. The sort of kid that you describe is a very rare individual, one who would manipulate their answers in that way. I certainly cannot believe that such a large percentage of such a small group would fit into that category you describe. Yes, kids certainly do get uncomfortable with hearing uncomfortable questions and that shows in their mannerisms. I see that in some of these kids.

I am quite aware that they probably cherry-picked those kids after a long and grueling interview process, or perhaps they took video of thousands of kids and weeded out the bigoted ones and this handful was all that made the cut. In any case I found the responses of those few children to be inspiring.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
It takes BOTH side to grow up and grow healthy attitudes. With entitlement slants that currently exist today, it may take another generation to sort this out.

We're not there yet...
Yes, this is true in large part, but it is also this attitude that perpetuates the problem as much as the entitlements. Larry Elder does a good job of explaining "the real problem" here in his interview with Piers Morgan. Pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywauUc-ZhbA

Quote:

Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Liked 1703 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I notice with my daughter, that she asks questions that challenge discrimination based on skin color. She will ask, "Why wouldn't someone play with that kid just because their skin is a diferent color? It's like saying I won't play with a kid with blue eyes, because mine are green, or I can't play with the redhaired girls, because my hair is blonde." Or "Daddy, why won't some parents let their kids play with the darker kids down the street, they're really nice?" Or she has said " Daddy I notice you have friends in the navy that are lot's of colors, why do some people not like that idea?"

Her observations and questioning attitude, have given me a lot of opportunities to talk about judging people based on behavior or actions, and how they treat you as the best way to figure out who your real friends are. I have told her if I judged people only on their skin color I would have missed out on some really great friends.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I notice with my daughter, that she asks questions that challenge discrimination based on skin color. She will ask, "Why wouldn't someone play with that kid just because their skin is a diferent color? It's like saying I won't play with a kid with blue eyes, because mine are green, or I can't play with the redhaired girls, because my hair is blonde." Or "Daddy, why won't some parents let their kids play with the darker kids down the street, they're really nice?" Or she has said " Daddy I notice you have friends in the navy that are lot's of colors, why do some people not like that idea?"

Her observations and questioning attitude, have given me a lot of opportunities to talk about judging people based on behavior or actions, and how they treat you as the best way to figure out who your real friends are. I have told her if I judged people only on their skin color I would have missed out on some really great friends.
That is a clear sign of good parenting and no small measure of intelligence on your daughter's part.

Quote:
readygirl Likes This 
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
That is a clear sign of good parenting and no small measure of intelligence on your daughter's part.
For a 10 year old she amazes me sometimes with how wise some of her questions can be.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
For a 10 year old she amazes me sometimes with how wise some of her questions can be.
You are sure she isn't just pulling one over on you?

I'm telling you, nearly all kids have not developed the ability to deceive as was earlier suggested. I think that Doc3402 may have a jaundiced view of children or something.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
You are sure she isn't just pulling one over on you?

I'm telling you, nearly all kids have not developed the ability to deceive as was earlier suggested. I think that Doc3402 may have a jaundiced view of children or something.
They may not ahve a highly developed ability to pull of smooth deception, but lying is definitely a possibility.

"Who spilled milk on the carpet?"

"I don't know. Maybe the dog."

While the adult knows it's not likely the dog got the milk out of the frideg, poured a glass and took it into the living room and spilled it.