Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Kid arrested for listening to rap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/kid-arrested-listening-rap-24260/)

zhuk 03-05-2010 10:36 PM

Kid arrested for listening to rap
 
Ok that heading might be a bit of a no-brainer :p



Teen Nathan Wilkie arrested for playing 'offensive' rap music from car

http://resources0.news.com.au/images...n-20100306.jpg


Kate Jones and Fiona Hudson
Herald Sun

March 06, 2010 8:34AM

A TEEN has been arrested for listening to what police deem offensive rap music.

In what could be a legal test case, 19-year-old Nathan Michael Wilkie faces a charge of offensive behaviour after police arrested him when he was listening to music by underground rapper Kid Selzy on his car stereo, the Herald Sun reports.

Mr Wilkie was parked outside a Timboon supermarket, waiting for his mother, when he was arrested.

The Warrnambool Magistrates' Court heard he was listening to lyrics such as "shut your f------ mouth bitch, f------ motherf-----".

The court was told the arresting officers found the music offensive and derogatory to females.


Mr Wilkie allegedly told officers: "You're a joke, go do some real police work."

The teenager is believed to be the first person charged under Australian law with offensive behaviour for listening to music.

Through his lawyer, Amanda Chambers, Mr Wilkie plans to plead not guilty when his case continues on June 11.

Mr Wilkie said he was thankful to have the support of Kid Selzy, who plans to attend in June.

"I am grateful to have Kid Selzy's support as this charge is a reflection on his music, that is not supposed to be offensive in any way," Mr Wilkie wrote.

"As Selzy said, 'I know what I mean and the people who buy it know what I mean, and that's what really matters'.

"He also mentioned 'if you read my lyrics, it's just my opinion'.

"And from what I believe, everyone has the right to their own opinion.

"I have lost two of my best mates in the last couple of years in tragic circumstances and I feel that listening to his music relates to life."


Kid Selzy, who gave his real name only as Jack, said he was astounded at the arrest.

"It's a joke that some kid's been arrested for doing something that's not illegal," he said.

"It's not illegal to have your windows down or to buy a CD. It seems to be a waste of taxpayers' dollars. If profanity's not your thing, don't listen."

The rapper said the case first came to his attention when Mr Wilkie's mother, Carolyn Wilkie, posted a message on his MySpace page.

"My son bought your CD ... from JB Hi-Fi and was playing it in his car," the message reads. "Unfortunately he saw me (his mum) coming out of the local supermarket with shopping bags and left his car running and music playing to help me with my bags and the local cops pulled in. They stuck their head in his half-open window and were very offended by the lyrics of your CD.

"The end result is he has been served a summons for offensive behaviour for playing your CD, which they said was too loud and the lyrics offensive, especially to women."

Police are expected to play Kid Selzy's latest album, The Creepshow, at the next hearing.


Teen Nathan Wilkie arrested for playing 'offensive' rap music from car | News.com.au


Muxh as I can leave a lot of rap (but like some oldskool stuff which kinda dates me heh), we don't have any right to free speech legislated in this country. The only part of the Aust Constitution that deals with anything vaguely 1st-Amendment-like is the provision not to have a State religion imposed...

Ubergopher 03-05-2010 10:46 PM

Damn, for a country that was founded by criminals, you can't really do anything there can you?

zhuk 03-05-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubergopher (Post 242017)
Damn, for a country that was founded by criminals, you can't really do anything there can you?


Actually, the founding by criminals bit probably explains a lot from an historical pov...would YOU as a Govt trust such a population with niceties like free speech/widespread gun ownership etc :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TXnorton 03-06-2010 09:16 AM

For some reason I was not offended by that punk's arrest. The title of the thread caught my eye, then when I saw his photo, my first reaction was "throw him UNDER the jail".

I am probably not as tolerant as I should be (a characteristic of being an old fart!), and I am often irritated when young punks pull up next to me in their POS little cars with rap noise (I won't call it music) loud enough to hear from a 100 yards away and the bass cranked up so high my windows rattle.

Young people with metal bits in their faces just confuse the h3ll out of me. What are they thinking?

I should be more tolerant, as at 19 years old I was a long haired, motorcycle riding (with loud pipes), black leather jacket wearing idjit listening to the WHO at loud volumes. I am sure I irritated the heck out of some folks back then.

Ok, now I have talked myself full circle, leave the little shxt alone, MAYBE he will grow up someday.

MGH 03-06-2010 09:43 AM

IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEONE GOT ARRESTED FOR HORRIBLE TASTE IN MUSIC!!!!::p:D


Sorry for all the yelling, I just thought this was awesome. My wife is a Music Major (vocal performance- classical arias mostly) and hates that someone can make millions doing that when she's been studying music sense she was seven.:mad:

zhuk 03-06-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGH (Post 242310)
IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEONE GOT ARRESTED FOR HORRIBLE TASTE IN MUSIC!!!!::p:D


Sorry for all the yelling, I just thought this was awesome. My wife is a Music Major (vocal performance- classical arias mostly) and hates that someone can make millions doing that when she's been studying music sense she was seven.:mad:

Yelling perfectly understandable. Hey MGH, I can imagine...her remuneration wouldn't be too flash for someone so skilled, would it? The hard slog of a classical musician doesn't lend itself to the 15 mins of (extremely well-paid) popular fame...

AcidFlashGordon 03-06-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 242306)
For some reason I was not offended by that punk's arrest. The title of the thread caught my eye, then when I saw his photo, my first reaction was "throw him UNDER the jail".

I am probably not as tolerant as I should be (a characteristic of being an old fart!), and I am often irritated when young punks pull up next to me in their POS little cars with rap noise (I won't call it music) loud enough to hear from a 100 yards away and the bass cranked up so high my windows rattle.

Young people with metal bits in their faces just confuse the h3ll out of me. What are they thinking?

I should be more tolerant, as at 19 years old I was a long haired, motorcycle riding (with loud pipes), black leather jacket wearing idjit listening to the WHO at loud volumes. I am sure I irritated the heck out of some folks back then.

Ok, now I have talked myself full circle, leave the little shxt alone, MAYBE he will grow up someday.

I'll join you in this because I, too, am a crochety old fart. Whenever I'm at a stoplight and some pukeassed punk tools up with that crap blasting away, I roll up my window and turn my radio up. Motorcycle with loud pipes? Harley 55 panhead with megaphone trumpets on the pipe ends was my favorite ride in 1969 (at 19).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGH (Post 242310)
IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEONE GOT ARRESTED FOR HORRIBLE TASTE IN MUSIC!!!!::p:D


Sorry for all the yelling, I just thought this was awesome. My wife is a Music Major (vocal performance- classical arias mostly) and hates that someone can make millions doing that when she's been studying music sense she was seven.:mad:

Music??? Sorry but I will NOT call that s**t music. If you handed any of these rappers a score sheet, they'd look at you like you handed them a warm turd. They wouldn't know sheet music if you shoved it up their ass. Remember, you can't spell crap without rap.

Gojubrian 03-06-2010 03:03 PM

I don't care what 'type' of music it is,rap or not, but explicit lyrics should not be played in full hearing of everyone around.

Call me what you want, but I don't want my children hearing that garbage and I don't want to hear it either.

This kid should have had more discipline growing up in my opinion.

Shihan 03-06-2010 03:28 PM

Should have been arrested for looking like that. WTF, thought it was a girl.

Gojubrian 03-06-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 242381)
Should have been arrested for looking like that. WTF, thought it was a girl.

Why do I have a huge urge to pull those rings? :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.