Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Kent's Tree Christmas without a son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Kent's Tree Christmas without a son

Kents Christmas tree.

Some of you may know that my middle son was murdered in 2004. After all the funeral and taking care of his property we had to go home to Colorado and get back to our life. But we knew that the upcoming Christmas was going to be a grief stricken season with memories taking the place of happy times.
It has always been my wife that decorated our Christmas tree, not that we men of the family couldn't do it but she had her own way and her mothers cherished decorations so we just stepped back and let her do it.
Except this year my lone remaining son and I wanted to put some things on the tree to memorialize our son and brother. Nothing doing. So Trent and I didn't fight it.
It also happened that a Historic house in our city was having a "Old Fashion Christmas" celebration and as a Commissioner on the city Historic Commision I volunteered to help. The Commision sold little Christmas trees in a pot, live and transplantable. So as I was leaving on the last day of the celebration it hit me that Trent and I could have our own tree. I bought one and took it home. Trent and I decorated it with things that made us remember his big brother. Little motorcycles, cars. shotgun shells and lots of other outdoor guy type things. We set it up in the family room and put some presents to each other under it.
After Christmas was over we thought about tossing the tree, but decided to see if we could keep it alive through the winter. So we watered it whenever it looked dry and it made it till spring. We both decide it was going to get a place of honor in the very center front of our house and we planted it that spring.
Well, the little tree didn't do so good. The first year it lost most of it's needles and just barely hung on even with lots of watering and some fertilizer applications. The next year it didn't look like it was alive at all just a dead stick. We talked about pulling it up but both of us are stubborn males and we just kept watering it and hoping. The third year the little tree really tried and it had a couple of dozen new needles by the end of summer. The forth year we both had the tree on our mind when the snow finally melted in the yard and there appeared to be more needles coming in. That Christmas we decorated the little tree with lights and ornaments and even tho it was only 3 ft high it actually looked like a Christmas tree. Move forward to this year and the little tree with the big heart. It is now 7 ft tall and has full coverage of needles and full coverage of Christmas lights and ornaments. Just like the spirit of our son and brother did not die, his tree resurected and proved to us that our Kent will too.

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the story. I'm sorry for your loss.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #3

Default Christmas

sarge_257: Sir, your story is the kind that makes Christmas.

Sir, a very Merry Christmas to you, Lt. Linda, Trent.

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte1 View Post
sarge_257: Sir, your story is the kind that makes Christmas.

Sir, a very Merry Christmas to you, Lt. Linda, Trent.
Thanks guys. If it hadn't been for those two little blind girls I wrote about, my Christmas would have another bad memory. They really got me over my bummed out attitude.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge