Kel-Tec: Cutting edge or crap?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Kel-Tec: Cutting edge or crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default Kel-Tec: Cutting edge or crap?

So just wondering what the consensus is from this forum is on the Kel-Tec brand?

Some love and others hate.

I personally own the PF9 and have a friend that owns their rifle that can be broken down in the middle. I have gotten to feel some of the companies other models.

IMO, the company is great at pushing the envelope on gun size, looks, and what it can do: HOWEVER, they have some problems with some of the "finishing" touches and some of their products feel a little too much like plastic.

So what do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Some of both. When you get a good one it is great and when you get a bad one it is crap. So far my average with Kel Tec is better than my average with Taurus.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Strange, this exact thing came up in conversation with co-workers today. None of us own or have shot a Kel-Tec yet, but have heard either great things or bad things. We are super curious.

Hope we get some solid and honest answers out of this thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateCamel View Post
Strange, this exact thing came up in conversation with co-workers today. None of us own or have shot a Kel-Tec yet, but have heard either great things or bad things. We are super curious.

Hope we get some solid and honest answers out of this thread

Funny how that happens. Well my PF9 has performed great except for one type of ammo which I have documented several times on this site. My friends sub-2000 in 40s&w has done very well. So..... Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 679 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 419

I have heard the rifles or sport guns shall I say are pretty good, but I am not crazy about the plastic .380 I have because it jams a lot so therefore I do not trust it and their service department people are rude IMO.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #6

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I think they are a very good company for innovation. They do have a problem with consistency and execution of designs. Their QA leaves something to be desired since they push out more than a fair share of lemons. They will back their lemons, but it can indeed leave a sour taste (pun intended) in a customers mouth.

Their finish work is poor, because many of their guns come with sharp edges, plastic mold flash, metal parts that require polishing, triggers that feel poor, etc.

I had a Sub-2000 in 9mm. The grip had sharp edges, the seam between grip halves would open up because the polymer was left thin in places and would flex more than I'm accustomed to in other polymer framed guns. The trigger had a sharp edge and seemed to be shorter in length that it should have been, because my trigger finger would ride that edge and get sore.

I still really liked the design, and weight, and the fact that it used mags from a handgun I already had. It was reliable with everything I fed it. It was pretty accurate too. I actually regret selling it and would like to replace it, but wish they would make a more refined version.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 799

10 years ago Keltec was a cutting edge company. People who know guns bought Kel Tec's because there was nothing on the market to compete with them. Now Ruger makes guns that are just a few ounces heavier and ten times as durable.

People who are tinkers have good experiences with Kel Tecs because they can fix them and they enjoy the challenge. Glock pistols are the only gun on the market that is easier to fix than a Kel Tec. If you can not put brakes on a car or fix a lawnmower don't buy a Kel Tec. You do not have the inclination to keep a Kel Tec running.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2675 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

I am familiar with several KelTec handguns. I'd single out the PMR30. It gives you a string of 30 magnum rounds before reloading. It is reliable with round or pointed nose 22 Magnums, is surprisingly lightweight even fully loaded, and it has nice Williams-like fiber optic sights. The hybrid action is totally original AFAIK. I used it to qualify for NRA Pistol Instructor. Highly recommended.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The cutting edge part of the company is the affordability, warranty, customer service, and overall quality of the guns in comparison to cost. I personally have always had very good customer service through them. The way KT keeps their prices so low is not doing all of the finishing/final touchup work that all of the higher end companies do. If you are ok with taking a little bit of high grit sandpaper to some plastic to smooth it out, and comfortable with breaking the gun down and cleaning up some casting edges and doing minor tweaking, they can be very good and reliable shooters. You have to keep in mind you are buying a tool at the LOWER END of the price spectrum. Significantly lower in comparison to what else is on the market. I have owned multiples of all types of kel-tec's from their 32's, p3at's, pf9's, plr-16, and have never had any consistent issues past initial break in. Break in period being around 100-200 rounds. Though I do not currently own any kel-tec's, I love the company because it is locally made in my home state, great warranty, and price. They are great guns for people looking for something cheaper, and that are willing and able to do some minor cleanup work.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3174 Times on 1830 Posts
Likes Given: 2037

Rumors run rampant, I would only consider those comments of Kel-Tec owners or those who have shot them repeatedly. YMMV.