Keeping It Real - Do You? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Keeping It Real - Do You?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7117 Times on 4284 Posts
Likes Given: 8640

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
there were days where i ate corn flakes for breakfast lunch & supper but not gonna lie, i could eat corn flakes every day for the rest of my life.
I'm like that with Ramen noodles. I just plain ole like them. I drain out the water and sprinkle the flavour packet in and eat them as flavoured noodles.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

While in college, I'd save pop bottles and during those inevitable low cash days, I'd use them to put gas in the car. I was lucky in the sense I had a good paying job and got student loans to pay for the school. Not much time for anything, full time work and full time school.

Not too long ago, went through an incredibly bad stretch. BUT, through some very strict financial control, and some incredible management, we made it through. Once we got through, wife and I switched financial control roles. It's too easy for me to look at that paycheck and say, we can afford this, we can afford that. She is the queen of cheap, and wears that badge with honor.

I still think the best thing I did was construct a budget from the bottom up. Start with the monthly expenses that are absolutely necessary, like heat, food, etc, and when you run out of monthly income, everything above that line goes. Cable, high speed internet, house phone... you get the picture. We're still mostly living to that budget today. A/C runs more, I'm carrying a smart phone, guns and ammo

Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #23

Liked 2463 Times on 1599 Posts

I've never really HAD to scrape by, but lived on the cheap to enjoy other things. I was 21, making $11.65 an hour (1994), paying for college, apt and utilities, dates with girlfriend, insurance and still scraped up enough money to buy a hd sportster after buying my first pistol, a stainless bull 22/45. I couldn't help but smile the first time I rode my bike to college. I think this proves I could live on a lot less.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #24

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I was homeless back in 05. Lived out of a tent in the woods. Still had a job though.

Now I'm a broke engineering student. At least I can fill my freezer with road kill (no joke).

I know how to stretch a dollar. As long as the meat is cheap, or free, I can fill the freezer with frozen veggies!

Whole chicken, $4 bucks. Veggies, 4-6 bucks. 10 dollars will stretch to 6 or more meals if you're careful. ;-)

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #25

Liked 2463 Times on 1599 Posts

Mosin- what climate? I friends dad lived in his teepee for a year or so when his wife took most everything he had- in north west Ohio. Some of those winter days had to be cold!

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #26

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

I did fairly well until I was called back to active duty in 2002. I went through a divorce at the same time and was living on E-5 pay based on the previous job I had (75,000 year) paying child support on my 2 sons. I lived on fruit, Roman Noodles, MRE's, and Seagrams 7... I went from 235lbs to 175lbs in about 4-5 months. I had make presents for my boys out of stuff I could "get" from the supply room. After watching my (4 year old at the time), cry on a video my mother sent after Christmas, I vowed to teach them humility and try to give them something they wanted. To this day, I still make them something for one of their gifts.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #27

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Ha! I was in South Carolina! Just the opposite! I was roasting! The worst part was that I stunk, yet still had to uphold an image at work that everything was fine.
Very embarrassing.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #28

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I can remember a time where I was married right out of high school and divorced at age 21. I had a nice little apartment and a fridge with nothing but beer and potato chips... literally. I can remember my mom coming over and opened the fridge for milk to put in her coffee and all I had was beer on every single rack.
I didn't eat much of anything. Drank like a fish but was 6'1" and 170 lbs. I had Domino's pizza on speed dial and could call them when I got off work at 4am and they knew who I was and what the order was and all I had to say was "Hey woman. How's you're night?" They hit my door about 20 or 30 minutes later. I'd call them just about every friday or saturday night/morning.

Good times, good times.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #29

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

as cliche' and "lyric stealin" as it is, sorry Tim McGraw,............fried (or cold) bologna sammich with mayo and tomato (and lettuce if around) with salt and pepper.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

People Like This 
Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #30

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm only 23. When it was my dad and I we at least had a trailer to live in, no tent. You guys amaze me with being homeless, and coming back from that. Until I moved out and got a job, food was ramen, canned hot peppers, peanut butter, tuna, and cheap chicken quarters. Not all at once mind you. After I moved out I ate whatever canned stuff I could "get. " Mainly refried beans. Lol that was a bad idea. I have a decent apartment with my wife now, and make a pretty decent salary on the river. Hopefully everything stays the way it is. God bless all y'all.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Dillinger Likes This