Keeping It Real - Do You? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Keeping It Real - Do You?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

I still enjoy ramen and spam. I am finally in a position to take my wife out for a fancy dinner whenever we want. But I have been homeless twice. Once when I was 19 and again when I was about 23. I have had to survive on corn meal mush. I will never eat it again. I realize that it could happen again. That is why I have all my vehicles paid for. That includes my K-5 Blazer and my 26 foot travel trailer. I call it my Zombie Apocalypse set up. And I am only halfway joking when I say it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 09-03-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #12

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Mine was / is mayonaise sammich but im still in that zone so im still eatin them beeches and eating ramens

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

Liked 367 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 6

for a period of about a year, i would have about $50 leftover after every weeks pay to buy food, gas, & anything else i might need until the next week when i got paid again, & yet another bill was due that would drain my account. i lived off banquet tv dinners (on sale for less than a dollar usually), grilled cheese with god awful cheese, cheap coffee, somersausage sandwiches, corn flakes, & lost lake beer (used to be about $7 a case when everything else cost twice that).

there were days where i ate corn flakes for breakfast lunch & supper but not gonna lie, i could eat corn flakes every day for the rest of my life.

i started drinking lost lake in my college days because it was really cheap & no one else would touch the stuff, so i never had to worry about anyone takin my beer. every few months i buy a case of it (now it's up to $11 a case) & that's all i drink for awhile to remind me of how far i've come in a relatively short time. and also to reminisce about those days gone by because even though i couldn't afford gas, rent, food, or beer, those were some of the most fun times of my life

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Those were the Days......

My first year of marriage, Making $2.00 an hour, My wife making $30 a week. We both were paid on the 5th and 20th. And a child on the way. Seems we always found a way to make ends meet. 40 years later we are still making ends meet......We'd fight and never lose as the song goes......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #15

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
My first year of marriage, Making $2.00 an hour, My wife making $30 a week. We both were paid on the 5th and 20th. And a child on the way. Seems we always found a way to make ends meet. 40 years later we are still making ends meet......We'd fight and never lose as the song goes......
Those where the days my friend

Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Bleary eyed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Those where the days my friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg
You summabitch you made me cry in my beer.....Thanks for the memorys....wills......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

After I got divorced from my first wife I became a single dad (2 year old son) and was broke as, well you know. A buddy moved in the spare room and we split groceries, which was basically bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce (99 cents a bottle), family packs of chicken legs (69 cents a lb at the commissary) and whole kernel corn in the can (2 for a buck). I eat steak probably twice a week now, the good 3/4 inch thick rib-eyes from the butcher, but I have no problems grilling up some drumsticks and throwing a can of corn in the microwave...lol. My oldest son is 13 now and on those days we just kind of smile and reminisce with each other. If you are broke and living hard, a family pack of chicken, some freezer bags and a little sauce will take you about as far as anything but ramen (12 cents a pack where i'm at) for the price.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #18

Liked 2021 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

When I first moved out west in a borrowed VW camper I was so poor I was eating brown rice with whatever I could buy to put in it. Usually broccoli. I now eat broccoli only very occasionally. Like if it's on the plate at at a restraunt. I never buy it. When I did buy it, I'd break off the stems and just buy the heads. I wasn't paying for inedible roughage!
I would also switch xtra large eggs with small so I could save a few cents when I could afford eggs.

Then after losing much in a divorce, I got a job as mate on a yacht. Low pay, lots of experience. For a couple of years my dinners consisted of Happy Hour popcorn or mussles and draft beer.
Now I don't eat mussles and very seldom popcorn. And when I was still drinking beer, never draft.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

*applauding*

These are the types of stories that I had hoped would come out and bond us all in our past lives.

Thank you all for sharing thus far.

JD

Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #20

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

My brother and I joined the Army, wound up on two different posts in Germany.

As kids, nothing was more awesome than Geno's Pizza Rolls.

We finally managed to hook up, and ran to the commissary, and bought a box. We had no oven.

We speared these frozen delights, broke out an Esbit stove (the folding kind, you light the little heat tab) and cooked them in the freezing German night.

Burnt on the outside, still frozen in the middle, it was a taste of home for two homesick kids.