Keeping It Real - Do You?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Keeping It Real - Do You?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Keeping It Real - Do You?

When I first moved out of the house and got on my own, most of my pitiful hourly wages went to pay for my rent, my car and my insurance.

Food was anything that I could buy in bulk at the local Safeway or whoever had a sale going. I couldn't afford a membership to Costco or Sam's Club.

Lots of off brand soups, grilled cheese sandwiches with whatever bread was on sale and the worst cheese in the biggest package. Tuna fish sometimes was lunch and dinner.

One thing that was on sale from time to time was Tortino's party pizzas. It was rare, but I used to be able to get them for $1.25 on sale and I would stock up. They were a little "indulgence" at the time.

Many years later my fridge and freezer are pretty well stocked most of the time, but every once in awhile I feel the need to have a throw back lunch and I always go to the Tortino's pizza.

They are awful. LOL

Nothing good or savory about them. Basically really bad cardboard with something imitating red sauce and little pieces of something that taste like meat.

But they remind me where I started and are a reminder of how hard I worked to get to where I am today.

It's a nice, humbling, exercise that both myself and my fiancee' practice (she likes to have Top Ramen to remind her of her trip).

Does anyone else do this? Or a version of it?

Discuss, or share your early move out, on your own stories.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Occasionally, I have a fried spam sammich. Usually once a year, in remembrance of the times when we had nothing, or very little, as kids growing up. That's all I'll eat for the day, because that's how it was back then, one meal, being one sammich, with one slice of spam, one slice of cheese.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I remember those days all so well. I can attest to one thing. A little mayonnaise can completely change the taste of a chicken pot pie or some ramen noodles. Almost like eating something completely different every now and then. Same with bologna. Just nuking it or frying it makes it so much different.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Last edited by Gone_South; 09-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

I'm still living those days lol!!! My fridge looks like the grand canyon, big and empty.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Liked 1338 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 312

I left home at 18, (1971) got married the day I turned 19 and My new wife and I moved t to Chicago,the same day. All I had to my name was $300.00, two days motel reservation, and two suitcases. No support from home as my Dad had been dead for a couple of years and Mom was struggling. I was in the Navy and it took a month to get my first check in Chicago. Before that month was over, I sold blood to buy food....I am not sure if I netted out or not.

That was the last time I have had to eat poor.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7010 Times on 4217 Posts
Likes Given: 8439

My poorest days were when my kids were young and I was single. I wasn't really too broke in my single days pre single parenting.

We ate a lot of hot dogs, mac 'n' cheese, grilled cheese, Ramen noodles. I'd buy frozen Jack's pizza when they were on sale 4/$10.00. We'd sometimes have home made chili, sloppy joes or tacos. In the summer we'd grill home made hamburgers or chicken legs. It wasn't too bad, really. I could squeeze a penny until it screams.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default The olden days

When I was 12 years old my uncle gave me a .410 single barrel shotty. Kept the family in meat for the best part of 4 years. Every rabbit pigeon or squirrel is a reminder of those hard times and still tastes amazing.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love Totinos because I used to eat them as a kid. Once in a while I buy TV Dinners with the fried chicken, corn, mashed potato and a brownie. If I was by myself I would always scrimp on food but hubby must have meat and starch with dinner.....,

Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #9

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Many years back just after my first divorce, I was so poor I couldn't even pay attention. In those coupe of years of poverty I used to eat flat bologna during the week and would treat myself to rolled bologna during the weekend.

Last edited by mrm14; 09-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I am still keeping it real! I have 3 kids and keep them fed ok on cheap hot dogs and cheap pizza. If a vehicle breaks down, I try to fix myself. I can't wait to shoot a deer or hog for the smoker! We did not do well this year in the firework sales.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Dillinger Likes This