Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Keep gun boxes? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/keep-gun-boxes-79542/)

blucoondawg 12-27-2012 07:04 PM

Keep gun boxes?

Just wondering if any of you keep the cardboard boxes your guns come in, my wife swears by keeping every box because her dad did it, I never kept any box unless it was some sort of collectible gun which was unfired and still in the box. I don't see the point in keeping the boxes to hunting rifles and shotguns and everyday carry pieces/shooters. If it keeps goin like this I will have to build an extra room just to hold empty cardboard gun boxes!!!!

rurak 12-27-2012 07:05 PM

My father does that. Drives me nuts. I don't keepbthe cardboard boxes evet

primer1 12-27-2012 07:05 PM

I've got some, ready to go into the attic.

MCarter788 12-27-2012 07:08 PM

My father does it with his collectible guns. He claims that it enhances the value in the future if you have the original packaging that it came in.

Daoust_Nat 12-27-2012 07:19 PM

I keep them, but if the number started to get too high, I would probably dump the cardboard ones. I think they are easier to sell in the original box. That is a perception, I have no statistics to back it up.

Trez 12-27-2012 07:24 PM

I would keep them...

:)

shadecorp 12-27-2012 07:31 PM

I would keep them,
if you have the room.
My collection of boxes got too great,
so,
on the way to work one morning I dumped them in a markets dumpster,
after making sure everything was removed
that could used to trace them to me.
Don't put them out in front of your house.

kytowboater 12-27-2012 07:35 PM

I've got most of mine.

gunsmoke11 12-27-2012 08:41 PM

I save all the boxes as well as paperwork and any booklets. These are for any new handgun, rifle, or shotgun purchased. When buying used a box is an added plus as far as I'm concerned. Depending on the gun they can add hundreds of dollars additional value.

My Colt SAA stagecoach box with matching ser# in mint condition can add $4-500 to my 2nd generation gun. I've seen those boxes fairly beat up without any gun sell for $150 or more. The early black boxes go for even more. Even a box for a gun that may not be considered highly collectable can add 50 bucks to the value, as well as enhance the appearance of the gun that can make it easier to sell. Someone selling a gun they had a long time with the original box tells me something positive about the owner and what they thought of the gun.

kfox75 12-27-2012 09:01 PM

I have bought 3 new guns in the last 20 years. None of my used guns came in the original box, so no, I dont keep them. I used the boxes from the new ones as tinder to start campfires. Once burned, no way to link them to me.

Edit. I kept 1 and used it to gift a used CVA Tracker to my uncle. Only one I ever kept past 3 months.