Kaufman County man indicted in shooting of teen who crossed yard
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Kaufman County man indicted in shooting of teen who crossed yard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kaufman County man indicted in shooting of teen who crossed yard

Here's a surprise. A Kaufman County grand jury has indicted the 74-year-old man who shot a boy outside his home in March.

I figured the grand jury would buy the old man's self-defense claim, even though he was shooting from inside the house at a figure passing outside the house.

As I said on the incident, I don't think W.C. Frosch needs to face harsh punishment, but I'm glad to see the grand jury sending a message that we can't start shooting at shadows.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/060308dnmetfrosch.5439de4a.html

Kaufman County man indicted in shooting of teen who crossed yard

09:18 PM CDT on Monday, June 2, 2008

By RICHARD ABSHIRE / The Dallas Morning News
rabshire@dallasnews.com

A Kaufman County man faces possible prison time for shooting one of two teens cutting across his yard in March, an act that triggered a chain of events that ended with a traffic accident that killed the other boy's mother.

W.C. Frosch, 74, was inside his home March 1 when he shot 15-year-old Brandon Robinson through a window. Mr. Frosch has said he thought the boys were about to break into his home.

Kaufman County authorities initially cited the state's new "castle law" in declining to file charges. Under the law, a person is presumed to be acting reasonably if he shoots someone he believes is trying to break into his occupied home, business or car.
Also Online

Tell Us: Is the "castle law" good for Texas?

Prosecutors said they treated this case like any other.

"Self-defense claims are weighed on a case-by-case basis, based on the facts," Kaufman County District Attorney Rick Harrison said Monday. "We decided to take it to the grand jury, and they indicted him."

Mr. Frosch was indicted last week on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony, punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

He was not available for comment Monday, but he has said that he believes the shooting was justified.

"I don't think I had really much choice," Mr. Frosch said after the incident. "I think I was justified in what I done."

On the night of the shooting, Mr. Frosch told officers he thought the teens were prowlers, so he armed himself with a handgun and told his wife to call 911.

He shot through a window, striking Brandon under his left arm. His injuries were not life-threatening.

"Mr. Frosch shot me," Brandon said he told his friend Devin Nalls that night. "Your neighbor shot me!"

Brandon was spending the night with Devin, 16, whose family lives on one side of Mr. Frosch's property. The teens told officers they were crossing his yard to check out a loud party that was under way at a home on the other side of the Frosches'.

After the shooting, the teenagers ran back to Devin's home and his mother, June Nalls, 41, loaded the boys into her truck to take them to a local hospital.

On their way, a 1996 Ford driven by Agustin Renteria, 27, of Kaufman, crossed the center stripe and struck Ms. Nalls' pickup head-on, police said.

She was killed. Her son and Brandon survived.

Police later arrested Mr. Renteria on a charge of failure to stop and render aid, and more serious charges were pending blood alcohol test results.

There was no answer Monday at the Nalls home.

No trial date has been set for Mr. Frosch, who will be tried in the 86th District Court.

Initially, there was some question about whether Mr. Frosch's actions were legal under the "castle doctrine," which the state Legislature passed in its last session.

The law authorizes residents to use deadly force to protect their property in some situations without requiring them to retreat first.

But a sponsor of the law, Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, said the law was not meant to cover a case like this.

"It was our thinking that you have to be under attack," Mr. Wentworth said after the shooting.

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2008, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Fry the crazy bastard. Fry the illegal alien who killed the kid's mother. Take ALL of their property and give it to the kid who was shot. Was there a question?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is just the type of caca that gives us gun owners a bad name in the media. We all know it was a failure in individual responsibility, not a failure in gun ownership. But that isn't how these get "spun" in the media.
Agree, the criminal had the gun and the house this time (at first blush). But there is always more to the story. What a terrible chain of events.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #4

Default ????

I've not read any thing about the castle laws. Is this nation wide? I feel he was wrong by not waiting for them to break a window. Convicted or not he may good insurance after this. Years ago we had a case where a new radio tower was being built. Stuff was getting stolen so the owner sat in his car. Shot a guy you guessed it, "in the butt". He sued and his insurance had to pay. Another lady I know had her ex husband crossing her cousins property to get to her house. He went out with a rifle and said he was trespassing. Ex said he pulled a gun on me! Cousin got fined and they kept his rifle. Ex? 0=nada
A police training film I had to watch in the 70s. Shoot Don't Shoot. A man is throwing a knife at me. When can we shoot him? It said as soon as the knife left his finger tips he was no longer armed or a deadly threat to you. Hum, sorry sir I could not see that far? I tried to hit the knife but he got in the way. I mean I can't shoot like the Lone Ranger. Now there was man! Always shot the gun out of the hand with a silver bullet.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Somehow I don't think the "get offa my lawn" defense will work....

Although, just because it was a fifteen year old kid, doesn't mean he and his friend didn't have evil in mind. He should have waited until they did something. A broken window and attempted entry would have spared the owner from the charges. Looking like you're going to commit a crime isn't a crime.

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwatch View Post
I've not read any thing about the castle laws. Is this nation wide? I feel he was wrong by not waiting for them to break a window. Convicted or not he may good insurance after this. Years ago we had a case where a new radio tower was being built. Stuff was getting stolen so the owner sat in his car. Shot a guy you guessed it, "in the butt". He sued and his insurance had to pay. Another lady I know had her ex husband crossing her cousins property to get to her house. He went out with a rifle and said he was trespassing. Ex said he pulled a gun on me! Cousin got fined and they kept his rifle. Ex? 0=nada
A police training film I had to watch in the 70s. Shoot Don't Shoot. A man is throwing a knife at me. When can we shoot him? It said as soon as the knife left his finger tips he was no longer armed or a deadly threat to you. Hum, sorry sir I could not see that far? I tried to hit the knife but he got in the way. I mean I can't shoot like the Lone Ranger. Now there was man! Always shot the gun out of the hand with a silver bullet.

The castle doctrine law is not nation wide you have to check your state where you live to find out !!!!!!

You must not be a NRA member because if you were you would know what the castle doctrine law is !!!!!!!!!

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT