Just how observant ARE you?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Just how observant ARE you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Default Just how observant ARE you?

Well, I have figured out why there can be problems with eye witness testimony- too many of us SEE things, but do not truly observe them.

Everyday things that we have seen hundreds (or thousands) of times- but can you accurately describe them? I'll toss out the first- no Googling, now- use your memory- and God knows if you cheat. And you good folks add any examples you have.

Item #1. Driving this afternoon, after a heavy rain, sun at my back, beautiful rainbow. Bet you have seen one dozens or hundreds of times- right? Well, starting on the inside, and on going out- list the colors in order. (Stunned silence)

DO NOT POST THE ANSWER HERE- but DO post your example of common items we see- but fail to observe.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

Liked 2552 Times on 1655 Posts

I cheated, but I'm not trying to hide it either, and I guessed wrong. After Googling pics, I never realized double rainbows reverse the order of colors.

What do people commonly fail to see? How blessed they are. The good in people, instead they focus on the bad.

How advertisements are borderline lies, and yes, they are trying to get you to buy something.

Diversionary tactics in the news (political).

My personal biggest one: how much of a difference someone can make in this world. Enter a room full of people in a good mood, complement people, laugh and joke. Enter a room, b!?@& and moan, be generally pessimistic, and be a real Debbie downer. One person can ruin many other peoples day with an attitude, or vice versa.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

I believe this has been posted here before:

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I am horrible with directions. Even if I am driving it takes me two or three times to learn a route

Old 07-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #5

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I lived down a dirt road as a kid. There was a house nearby obscured by the forest from the road, but not completely hidden. I lived less than a quarter mile away and it took me ten years before I noticed it. It was occupied too.

Just wasn't in my hunting territory I guess.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 174

That was interesting. My wife and I had a similar experience yesterday evening. We were sitting on the patio when a very odd looking cat came through the back yard. We saw it at the same time. We remarked how odd it looked. When we started describing what we saw to each other...we each described something different.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

racer_x Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Color blind, so grey, grey, some weird color I think is blue.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

What color was that Mercedes that we pulled up beside this afternoon, you know the $200,000 one we were talking about ? " I think it was white" . "Are you sure it looked silver to me" .
HMmmmmmmmm !!!!!! I had this conversation over the weekend .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #9

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
What color was that Mercedes that we pulled up beside this afternoon, you know the $200,000 one we were talking about ? " I think it was white" . "Are you sure it looked silver to me" .
HMmmmmmmmm !!!!!! I had this conversation over the weekend .
In my rearview mirror, it was silver, driven by a black lady with a purple headband, floral print blouse, tortoise shell shades, smoking a Newport.

I'm actually very observant on some things that just happen to catch my eye at the moment, and completely oblivious to other things that don't just "pop" to me.

In this case, I realized that I recognized the cigarette as a Newport, and everything else just followed. I noticed the smoke blowing out the window before I noticed the car itself. Then I thought, "why would anyone smoke in a car like that?"
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #10

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well 3 weeks ago while riding home from work. (motorcycle) a valvo s40 red, 4drs, license plate # jh#4%@, (i wont give the # just so no problems.) 5 black males driver side rear passanger pointed and shot a handgun like firearm at me when we passed each other. Now i was 3 house from being home. I was able to give the police every thing including the shooter shirt color and fitted hat type. 20 mins later the lt called to say the kid was found and confessed to shooting at me with a co2 pellet pistol. So i guess im observent enough.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?