Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Just how observant ARE you? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/just-how-observant-you-94602/)

c3shooter 07-29-2013 03:09 AM

Just how observant ARE you?

Well, I have figured out why there can be problems with eye witness testimony- too many of us SEE things, but do not truly observe them.

Everyday things that we have seen hundreds (or thousands) of times- but can you accurately describe them? I'll toss out the first- no Googling, now- use your memory- and God knows if you cheat. And you good folks add any examples you have.

Item #1. Driving this afternoon, after a heavy rain, sun at my back, beautiful rainbow. Bet you have seen one dozens or hundreds of times- right? Well, starting on the inside, and on going out- list the colors in order. (Stunned silence)

DO NOT POST THE ANSWER HERE- but DO post your example of common items we see- but fail to observe.

primer1 07-29-2013 05:30 AM

I cheated, but I'm not trying to hide it either, and I guessed wrong. After Googling pics, I never realized double rainbows reverse the order of colors. :cool:

What do people commonly fail to see? How blessed they are. The good in people, instead they focus on the bad.

How advertisements are borderline lies, and yes, they are trying to get you to buy something.

Diversionary tactics in the news (political).

My personal biggest one: how much of a difference someone can make in this world. Enter a room full of people in a good mood, complement people, laugh and joke. Enter a room, b!?@& and moan, be generally pessimistic, and be a real Debbie downer. One person can ruin many other peoples day with an attitude, or vice versa.

DFlynt 07-29-2013 06:07 AM

I believe this has been posted here before:

rurak 07-29-2013 10:33 AM

I am horrible with directions. Even if I am driving it takes me two or three times to learn a route

trip286 07-29-2013 11:57 AM

I lived down a dirt road as a kid. There was a house nearby obscured by the forest from the road, but not completely hidden. I lived less than a quarter mile away and it took me ten years before I noticed it. It was occupied too.

Just wasn't in my hunting territory I guess.

gr8oldguy 07-29-2013 12:06 PM

That was interesting. My wife and I had a similar experience yesterday evening. We were sitting on the patio when a very odd looking cat came through the back yard. We saw it at the same time. We remarked how odd it looked. When we started describing what we saw to each other...we each described something different.

notdku 07-29-2013 03:00 PM

Color blind, so grey, grey, some weird color I think is blue.

purehavoc 07-29-2013 03:07 PM

What color was that Mercedes that we pulled up beside this afternoon, you know the $200,000 one we were talking about ? " I think it was white" . "Are you sure it looked silver to me" .
HMmmmmmmmm !!!!!! I had this conversation over the weekend .

trip286 07-29-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1319086)
What color was that Mercedes that we pulled up beside this afternoon, you know the $200,000 one we were talking about ? " I think it was white" . "Are you sure it looked silver to me" .
HMmmmmmmmm !!!!!! I had this conversation over the weekend .

In my rearview mirror, it was silver, driven by a black lady with a purple headband, floral print blouse, tortoise shell shades, smoking a Newport.

I'm actually very observant on some things that just happen to catch my eye at the moment, and completely oblivious to other things that don't just "pop" to me.

In this case, I realized that I recognized the cigarette as a Newport, and everything else just followed. I noticed the smoke blowing out the window before I noticed the car itself. Then I thought, "why would anyone smoke in a car like that?"

duddie10 07-29-2013 05:04 PM

Well 3 weeks ago while riding home from work. (motorcycle) a valvo s40 red, 4drs, license plate # jh#4%@, (i wont give the # just so no problems.) 5 black males driver side rear passanger pointed and shot a handgun like firearm at me when we passed each other. Now i was 3 house from being home. I was able to give the police every thing including the shooter shirt color and fitted hat type. 20 mins later the lt called to say the kid was found and confessed to shooting at me with a co2 pellet pistol. So i guess im observent enough.