Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Just curious if you guys name your guns...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
Ok, first off, Congrats on the mod status JD, just noticed that.

Second off I enjoy reading both RL's and JD's posts but this is a board that is full of passion and RL is passionate about his guns and his politics. JD, you are a wealth of information and there is a place for both of you. If this board keeps RL from going out and killing a few liberals, more power to his post, they aren't breaking the rules and if JD is all about the technical, great. I'm personally not going to stop with the political rhetoric because I wanna keep my rights to bear arms and I would also love to see roe v wade overturned.

JD, I don't see where RL's rants break the rules of the site and as annoyed as you get that's a part of free speech. I have always hated being a mod on boards because you have to put up with stuff you don't like or you become gastopo. Both of you can rip me apart, don't really care.

Btw, JD, you where making jabs on both of us back in the how will you vote thread. If the political rhetoric annoys you then please ignore us because I don't think you are going to get us to stop unless you impair our free speech and thus nullify the purpose of this website.
Jables - There is NO desire to repress anyone's right to free speech. No one wants that.

This website is about talking about firearms. The political is part of that, but it's not the only part of it.

We have recent member who is a gun owner & an NRA member that is also voting Obama. Does that mean we don't give him the time of day, even though he is a gun owner and supporter of 2A? We should censor his posts because he doesn't share our view on the world politically?

I don't think so. From the PM's received, several other people that feel the same way.

I don't want to get in a poltical argument with anyone. I don't care how you vote. I don't care if you care about how I intend to vote. I came here because of the chance to learn some stuff, firearm's wise, from the members here. Which I have. I have also been able so share what I have learned, which may or may not have been a benefit to other members.

The Mod status was a vote, and it was offered because I don't get too involved with calling names or trying to make someone do what I want them too. They liked my knowledge and my willingness to share it, so that weighed in. There were several others that were mentioned as well, and will probably be added in the future as the site grows.

We have grown exponentially in the last few months. Word is out. People are liking what they are reading here, the help they are receiving and the questions that are being answered.

That is of GREAT credit to everyone who posts here, whether you, or I, agree with them or not.

In the interest of continuing the growth, it is most important that we don't discourage membership merely because someone has an opinion that is different from our own.

JD

Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #22

While I agree with you on the not silencing people.

Your PM's have no bearing on the board unless rules have been broken.

With that being said, I will, if need be, correct someone if they post untrue fact or a slant. I firmly believe in the right to vote for whoever, just please do it informed.

I would consider this a conservative forum in the fact the 2nd amendment right falls under a conservative platform. Therefore it is safe to assume that the majority of us here are conservative and stand for conservative values and as a majority we have a responsibility to make sure the minority gets a voice, but we don't need to back down from the just plan ignorant posts just because we feel like we are picking on the minority. I figure if someone is going to make a post on this board, then, we all have the right in civility to retort or agree with the level of annoyance bearing no weight.

If people can't stand the constant back and forth, then they should reconsider being on a forum. That's pretty much how forums work. If people need to report abuse, I can see complaining in a PM, but just because they can't stand a post, that's just a little petty.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm kinda disappointed...

i know that everyone is different and are entitled to their own opinions
and at times elbows will bump
but honestly...
can't we just all get along?

It just disappoints me when such a great forum (in which my knowledge of firearms has exponentially grown and i have thoroughly enjoyed it here) is muttled down because of misunderstandings/slander/or whatever it may be...
can't we just get back to what we are here for?
(to show,share, learn, and teach about firearms)
of course politics is a part of firearms but politics in of itself is always treacherous waters to tread in...
and i'm not saying to just ignore arguments or problems
i'm just saying sometimes just stepping back and asking yourselves why arguements/disagreements even started will reveal something...even maybe how silly it all is...arguing and such

but yeah...
i'm done

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Mark - a "Forum Jumper" is one who subscribes to a particular ideological or political view on a Forum that supports that view, and then for purposes of inflamming and causing disruption, joins a forum of the opposite ideological or political viewpoint and proceeds to work his magic.
The term "Liberal" in front of the phrase "Forum Jumper" is self explanatory. Maybe I should have said "Anti-Gun Forum Jumper", but even that wouldn't have been completely accurate, since the person I'm talking about was anti-American.
OK, I got it... however it appears as though I missed either a post or a person regarding a post. No matter though. If I see something I don't like or agree with, I won't be sucked into some bull**** forum-fight. You see RL, I found out a very long time ago... You can't teach a DEAD DOG a new trick. So I don't waist my time, or energy on any (dead dog) Liberal Prickless Wonder thats shaking the tree to see what falls out...

This is a great forum, and I hope it stays that way.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
OK, I got it... however it appears as though I missed either a post or a person regarding a post. No matter though. If I see something I don't like or agree with, I won't be sucked into some bull**** forum-fight. You see RL, I found out a very long time ago... You can't teach a DEAD DOG a new trick. So I don't waist my time, or energy on any (dead dog) Liberal Prickless Wonder thats shaking the tree to see what falls out...

This is a great forum, and I hope it stays that way.
agreed
the last line i mean

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
While I agree with you on the not silencing people.

Your PM's have no bearing on the board unless rules have been broken.
Just a point, these were PM's from other members who felt that perhaps the tone of the counter arguments was a bit aggressive and overbearing. When asked by a member to look and evaluate a thread, that is what was done.

Quote:
With that being said, I will, if need be, correct someone if they post untrue fact or a slant. I firmly believe in the right to vote for whoever, just please do it informed.
There is nothing wrong with that. That is encouraged and there is nothing wrong with a good discussion. What we don't want is name calling, resulting to personal attacks, or just plain jumping on someone merely because they don't agree with you. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs.

Quote:
I would consider this a conservative forum in the fact the 2nd amendment right falls under a conservative platform. Therefore it is safe to assume that the majority of us here are conservative and stand for conservative values and as a majority we have a responsibility to make sure the minority gets a voice, but we don't need to back down from the just plan ignorant posts just because we feel like we are picking on the minority. I figure if someone is going to make a post on this board, then, we all have the right in civility to retort or agree with the level of annoyance bearing no weight.
I would agree, but this is also not Conservative Talk. There are several members here who are, in fact, more Libertarian than Conservative. They also own guns and are very knowledgable.

The problem is that we have someone who came here, and with his first post/thread, was something that rippled the forum and got on everyone's bad side. Should that person be banned? Should his contribution, no matter how misguided we feel it is, be closed down and shut out - merely because you, or I, or anyone else here doesn't agree?

Are our beliefs in our Rights to own Firearms that fragile? Do you think that someone "trolling the site" is going to hear some grand secret about the Right to Keep and Bear Arms that we don't want to risk it because it's the silver bullet? If you are posting valid facts, they can't be refuted. If you are posting facts, what is the risk of "letting the information out"?

I would hate to think that we need censorship as a tool to combat what we do not agree with. There is still the option of ignoring any user, or not posting in any thread. Just because the thread may not be for you, doesn't mean there are not others that might enjoy the discussion.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-08-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #27

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

HOLY COW what in the heck did I miss? I thought we were talking about naming guns?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #28

JD, you missed my point. Oh well, I'm not going to keep wasting my time on this topic.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
HOLY COW what in the heck did I miss? I thought we were talking about naming guns?
And I still stand by the process of naming by builds, but not naming weapons that were already produced by others....

And you, cpt? Aside from your extensive, impressive collection, do you name your new firearms as well.

JD

Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 AM   #30

Never named a gun. Named a truck once. Old Blue. 1967 Ford F250. She was a good truck. My wife named her first car the BYD because is was a Yellow 1985 Dodge 600. Hence the "Big Yellow Dodge".