June 6, 1944, A 65 year retrospect.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > June 6, 1944, A 65 year retrospect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default June 6, 1944, A 65 year retrospect.

This D-Day documentary was produced by an 8th-grader (jpkeenan24) two years ago and has had 346,557 views.

If you have kids in school ask them what happened on June 6, 1944. I'm willing to bet 95% will not have a clue. This is due to the revisionist liberal control over the curriculum and text books used in today's American education system! Wouldn't want to traumatize and embarrass the little ones while we give trophy's to both winners and losers of the T-Ball game!

Better men than I were charged with this task!

1944_normandy-1.jpg

Why have we let this noblest of efforts become a long and intentionally lost memory??

acapa-_d-day2.jpg

60+ pounds of gear and many didn't even know how to swim!

1dday-6-6-1944.jpg

My Dad went in on Utah Beach and said he fought a life-time just to get to Ste-Mere-Eglise.

1ddaycapa1.jpg

"As our boat touched sand and the ramp went down I became a visitor to hell." Pvt. Charles Neighbor, 29th Div.

1dday34.jpg

God Bless every hero involved.

Thank you for your service.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #2

Liked 3739 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Great post Cane.

I recall HS history class very vividly. In the 4 yrs of HS only 1 teacher spent any amount of time on WWII. He had an uncle that was lost on the Arizona and to hear him speak of the events would nearly break me down to tears in class. Some people get it, most don't. Thankfully those that do fight for us.

Although I never served I do have the utmost respect for those that have and do. I have no previous kin that have served either. I spent this past Memorial weekend bbq'ing, rewatching BoB and saying thanks to all those that have and do fight for us. God bless.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

The man I posted about a week or so ago who got robbed while he was in the hospital was a D-day vet himself. I think he went in at Omaha Beach. He never talks about that part but boy he can tell you some stories of France and the people there.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for finding this one Cane, good reminder to all of us. I agree, the revisionists "Im OK, you're OK" proponents water down what we have done in our past. Those things that make us who we are as a country. Damn shame. I wont let my son forget where we came from. You are right, most wouldn't have that date (or any other significant one) in their minds. To a lot of people they think of D Day as a black and white movie that Hollywood made up. Same with modern events; they think that evil is just something on TV and can't touch them. Guess the footage of the towers just seems like something that happened to someone else. Apathy at its best.
Thanks again for putting this one up.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

omaha_beach_vague_assaut_uss_augusta.jpg

d_day_14_lg.jpg

adday.jpg

utah_beach.jpg

ad_day_6_lg.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 06-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My Father passed three and a half years ago. He was Army/Air Corps and road the Burma Road, (CBI) theater. My Mothers first husband was shot down over Italy, the only one of his bomber crew not to make it back to our lines. He was injured while leaving the plane and although helped by the resistance, he was captured by the Germans and executed as a spy.

In spite of those who say they are against War, there are times when there is no alternative. I believe that had the Nations of the World acted when Hitler first began his expansion instead of being isolationist, many young men would have been saved.

How soon we are lulled into complacency by the liberal treatment of our most trying times.

Great Post +10 Canebreak!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #7

Thanks Canebreak. Great post. God bless America.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Some gave all, all gave some. Rest in peace gentlemen.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #9

abeachlanding_s.jpg

utah_beach.jpg

Utah Beach Looking West D-Day Morning June 6, 1944 ^

The aircraft engine nacelle and propeller are top right. Dark patches are cloud shadows. German flooding of the low pasturelands immediately west of the beach was planned to limit American accessibility to the higher ground. Further west along the top of the photo can be seen the flooded Merderet River valley, also a defensive tactic that caused grievous losses to the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions. On the beach, landing craft are bringing in General Barton's 4th Infantry Division. Two causeways carry vehicles and men westbound to relieve the paratroopers holding the causeways western exits.

d02344.jpg

The sinking Coast Guard manned USS LCI(L)-85 comes alongside another ship to transfer her survivors, after she was hit by German shells off "Omaha" Beach on "D-Day", 6 June 1944.
Note casualties on deck, including a man on a stretcher (left center) whose face has been obscured by wartime censors.
Also note binoculars atop a chart in the LCI(L)'s conning tower (upper right) and life raft (at left) with paddles secured to its side.

g421287.jpg

dday33.jpg

- orangello

Old 06-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Great post Cane of great men.

In the mid-80's I travelled to N. France. I stayed in an old hotel in Caen. I visited the memorial. I stood on the untouched land on the northern coast that still has German bunkers and huge craters from the shelling. I stood on the cliffs and tried to imagine what it would have been like. No idea of what it took for those men to even get inland. It was very sobering and humbling.

Walking through some of the smaller towns and villages, there were still plenty of older people there that were alive then. I did not meet one older French person there that had anything bad to say about the allied forces. They liked to practice what little English they knew and most would even say thank you even though they knew I was way too young to have been there. One elderly French man made sure I knew to thank my grandfather's generation and to never forget what tyranny can do. I had a nice conversation with him. He showed me the farm where his father and uncle were both killed by the Germans so they could take over the farm house.

The younger French people were a different story, ingrates!

If anyone ever has the chance to visit the D-Day Memorial in Northern France, I highly reccommend it. Rows and rows of white crosses that seem to go on forever. The crosses are markers, and little crosses for the Christians and little Stars of David for the Jewish soldiers. The land is US soil to this day.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!