Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Joining the Navy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I can't be sure - but doesn't the AF have more special operations troops than all the other forces combined? I am pretty sure I read at the start of the War in the Sandbox the AF Spec-Ops guys outnumbered the likes of Marine Force Recon something like 10 to 1.

Besides, how can you fade the guys at the other end of the radio?? They bring the BIG GUNS to the party.

JD

Old 12-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Here's a few men who approve of your military choice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Read this post then tell me, do you still think your post is in good taste?
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9374

BTW - The Navy is a great choice. You get to travel, if you're smart you'll get training. Try to get a guaranteed "A" school out of boot camp. Research the different rates before you enlist and tell the recruiter what you want and present any training related to that field you might have form high school or college. Get everything in writing!! Good luck and thank you in advance for your service!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 12-24-2008 at 03:06 AM.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

No matter which service you decide to join, you are going to change your life and you're going to be part of a fraternity forever.

Just remember that you must prepare yourself mentally to give your all 100% of the time. Service to the country will demand alot from you, but the rewards are well worth it.

Here's a quick video from youtube. This is from the battlefront (all 100% real). I encourage you to watch more videos like this to get a glimpse into the reality of service. Make sure you do your homework so you don't have many surprises when you arrive at Navy or USAF bootcamp.

P.S. Dillinger the USAF has quite a bit of spec ops type areas.

Combat Weather

TAC-P

Combat Controller

Para-Rescue

TRG Units

Contingency Response Wings

RED HORSE Airborne (TO THE HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

SERE Troops

plus a myriad of others under the USAF Special Operations Command.

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 12-24-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:16 AM   #14

I've pretty much already done this....what I must do now is research how school works....apprantly on base or as I travel I can take courses while I'm in service.

Most likely since I have no girlfriend to speak of and I might do 12-20 years in service. Put half of my paycheck into the checking account at the other half in mutual funds and for investing. In less than 10 years even with that I would have enough retiring money....add 10 more I'm a millionare. In my current restaurant job...even though I'm only make 8 bucks and hour..if I applied the same thing I could be a millioare in 40 years....but I don't want to be a cashier for 40 years lol....so get job experience in the Navy....stay in for long enough then get back out and be able to get a good job ANYWHERE.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Read this post then tell me, do you still think your post is in good taste?
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9374
I am pretty sure Jiro accepts it in the humor that it was intended. I would never truly denigrate any of the armed services.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Understand, while we may bash other branches, it is in a good natured spirit of competiveness instilled by our Drills from day one. We truly respect our brothers in the other branches, well, except for those sissies in the Coast Guard.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I am pretty sure Jiro accepts it in the humor that it was intended. I would never truly denigrate any of the armed services.
Yes I did. It's fine. It has no relation to the Seal who gave his life. It's a joke. If he offended you I'm sorry but it was in relation to me...and not to that amazing man.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #18

Hey,
Well good luck in whatever service you choose. I was in the Navy for 4 1/2 years and I really enjoyed my time in. I worked in the cryptology field and did not spend one day at sea. I was stationed in Guam for 2 years and England for 2 years. I did some temporary duties in Bosnia, Kosovo, and the Netherlands. I did extensive traveling all throughout Europe at a very young age. I was in London almost every weekend partying and taking in the sights. I also took trips to Scotland, France, Belgium, Amsterdamn, not to mention I went to Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, which was incredible. I recieved an education that not many other people recieve from when I was 18 to 22. I feel that my time in the military broadened my life.

I am now a social studies teacher and I can bring my life experiances into the classroom on a regular basis. For example, I did a lesson plan on the causes of WWI and I have pictures of me sitting on the bridge that the Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated on in Sarajevo, Bosnia.

My advice to you is to check out all the services. Take the ASVAB test and see what jobs you qualify for. If the Navy won't give you want you want (say you want to work in the intel field and you qualify for it and the navy won't give it to you) then go to the other services and try to negotiate with them. They are hurting for good young people.

DON'T ACCEPT ANY JOB placement that you don't want. Good luck and happy holidays.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #19

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Yes I did. It's fine. It has no relation to the Seal who gave his life. It's a joke. If he offended you I'm sorry but it was in relation to me...and not to that amazing man.
Great, just sorry I clicked on the link. Wasn't offended, just thought it out of place.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Just remember that you don't always get the job you want in the Navy. If the slots for the school for the year are full then you will go to the fleet as a UD. That is where you will be doing a lot of scraping and painting.

The Navy's motto if is doesn't move paint it. If it moves shoot then paint it.

The Navy can be fun but being on a boat for 6 months out of the year does nothing for your relationships or marriage. Am I knockin the Navy no We need them who else is going to transport out Marines all over the world to kick ass and take names.

I spent 8 years in the Army, I had some of the highest highs in there and also some of my lowest lows. I had lots of fun and lost a few good friends.

Me personally if I were to do it all again, would go in the Air Force. The AF has the highest standard of living out of the 5 (USA, USAF, USN, USMC, USCG). They treat you good in the AF, they have the best Doc of the military , the nicest post in the best places for the most part Minot is not all that hot, but there are many other nice base locations.

Plus the AF has it right they send the officers off to get shot at and keep the enlisted men and women in the rear.

It makes me proud to see young people steping up to do a duty that many would not due and haven't done. So I applaud you for stepping up man. If you are ever in Northern VA look me up and I will buy you a beer...

GO ARMY SINK NAVY HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH.....
GI coffee
GI beans
GI wish I'd
Joined the Navy.

Now that we've gotten the US Army Anthem out of the way.... The physical training is very important, but your over-riding concern needs to be the specialty you intend to pursue. 20 years goes by pretty quick. Before you jump on the tech bandwagon, remember that the military uses a good bit of what the civilian sector uses, so when you retire/ get out, you're competing with every other person on Earth in that department.
When I went to school, we learned MOSFETS, AND, NAND, OR, and NOR gates. When I retired, I was running 1.5 miles in 11 minutes, but we didn't use transistor equipment anymore.
Become an Aviation Ordnanceman, and tell them Slice sent ya!