Joining the Navy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Joining the Navy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Joining the Navy

Well buds I'm finally decided on it after thinking a long time on it I am going to join the Navy or some form of military...although the Navy appeals to me at best.

First on the agenda is to get in shape...currently if I literatly lost 5 pounds I'd be eligible for it...but I'm not going to lose 5 pounds and just join like that...I have to pass the qualifications and since I grew up as a nerd geek guy who just happened to find himself interested in this sort of life changing experience I'm going to have to train my body for probably the next 6 months before I take the plunge.

I plan on doing a daily running routine and walking routine....as well as doing pushups and situps as required by the qualifications.

50 Situps in 2 Minutes and 43 Pushups I believe for 2 minutes. Situps I can already do....could do em even when I was well over 200 Pounds easily....but I'm now down to 178 Pounds after laying off the junk food and working in a restaurant as a cashier. Hey I know it sounds crazy but since I was moving around alot....sheesh helps a guy who sat on a butt playing Super Mario since he was 2 or 3.

Anyway main focus is on running as that is my main weakness....then pushups which starting tomorrow I will be doing situps and pushups within the home...and on hot not so cold days taking a long nice run.

I'd rather do it during the hot...so I would lose more weight, but I'd have to get used to the cold as well so running during that is a given I'd also gain more muscle that way. I don't run much and in high school because I was rather lazy or just to out of shape I always came last in running. I need to ease up into the running to it to get used to it.

Anyway any more suggestions or good cheer would be welcomed as well as advice as I want to get an education while I'm in there as well and not have to pull from the GI Bill for the education.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 12-23-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What a great service you do for this country. The navy is a fine option. As for getting into shape: Run. Run and run some more. You should be able to run a 10K without it being an issue. All those other things will be simple if you have the cardio that running provides.

Again, great move. Thank you in advance for defending the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 AM   #3

Thanks but I haven't joined yet so don't build me up to much lol. I have to train first.

But yeah...running in the main issue. I not a good runner as of yet actually I'm horrible at it...but with a bit of more running on my side I should be able to off set that.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey its the Navy. Dont sweat it. Its like joining the moose lodge but with boats. If you were joining an armed service (Army / USMC) instead of a uniformed service I would be concerned. Since you are considering the ill advised choice of becoming a seaman (OK that should be enough of a clue right there)...

OK enough of the service rivalry humor. Good for you. Need to give something back for all that you have had in your life, I wish you all the best. Stay motivated and get after it to get ready.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Just remember that you don't always get the job you want in the Navy. If the slots for the school for the year are full then you will go to the fleet as a UD. That is where you will be doing a lot of scraping and painting.

The Navy's motto if is doesn't move paint it. If it moves shoot then paint it.

The Navy can be fun but being on a boat for 6 months out of the year does nothing for your relationships or marriage. Am I knockin the Navy no We need them who else is going to transport out Marines all over the world to kick ass and take names.

I spent 8 years in the Army, I had some of the highest highs in there and also some of my lowest lows. I had lots of fun and lost a few good friends.

Me personally if I were to do it all again, would go in the Air Force. The AF has the highest standard of living out of the 5 (USA, USAF, USN, USMC, USCG). They treat you good in the AF, they have the best Doc of the military , the nicest post in the best places for the most part Minot is not all that hot, but there are many other nice base locations.

Plus the AF has it right they send the officers off to get shot at and keep the enlisted men and women in the rear.

It makes me proud to see young people steping up to do a duty that many would not due and haven't done. So I applaud you for stepping up man. If you are ever in Northern VA look me up and I will buy you a beer...

GO ARMY SINK NAVY HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH.....

Old 12-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you're not 100% sold on the Navy, I agree the AF is an excellent option. While I'm duty bound to loathe them, they did have the highest living standard I'd ever seen.

Many's the time we'd get to a base after a month of freezing, stinking, and crawling through mud, to eat at their "dining facility". It was like a freakin Sizzlers, and we'd eat to bursting.

I salute you, and your mighty Mag Moustache, for your patriotism.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #7

I was thinking about the Air Force since my Grandfather was in the AF....but I'm more sold on the Navy. Appeals to me more.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

AF = fine dining, not getting shot at, getting the job you want, living the good life. The Af don't even have to pick up their trays after eating in the chow halls they just get up and leave they have people to do this for them.

PS The women in the AF are much better looking that any other branch as well. Why well because the AF thinks women should look like women and allows them to wear womanly articles like makeup and earrings. The Army want them all to look like dog doo that got hit but a lawnmower.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Wow!!!!

You are out of touch cpttango.....lol.

You're thinking of the old USAF. The new USAF is alot more "gritter" these days.

If anybody thinks they are going to join the USAF for an "easy" military experience, they are kidding themselves...lol.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a few men who approve of your military choice...