Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Joined the Navy Part 2 NUKE PROGRAM!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

RL's friend that hated sub duty; I'll bet he completed sub school and was deployed to the fleet as a non-striker. He probably spent his entire sub career as a seaman on the boatswain's deck gang. These guys never advance and do ALL the dirty work! God bless them!

The moral of this story? GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Timing is everything, and make sure you turn to and get those grades!!! Oh yea, don’t put any holes in the submarine’s overhead! That would be a zero defect sport! (Sorry dude but I had to do that!)
Absolutely right! Everytime he came home for leave I heard how much of a mistake he made and how the Recruiters were all a bunch of fu$%ing liars. He used to complain that he would always get sick after 3 months underwater in a sterile environment. I almost let these two buddies of mine talk ME into joining with them under the "buddy" program...I'm glad I joined the Marines instead...they lied too, but not as much, and they treated me good, which is why I stayed in for 12 years when my Navy buddies turned tail and ran after 4. On the other hand my cousin was a medic in the Navy and after his 4 years he went to college/Med School and became a Podiatrist. It all depends on how much initiative and drive a person has as far as what they get out of it.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #22

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
He will need to go to the fleet and serve on a boat before he becomes submarine qualified (allows you to put SS after your rank) He will need to successfully finish NL sub school before he goes to the fleet.

Submarine qualified (SS) is not a diploma, it is experience and knowledge on a specific boat. If you transfer to a new boat you are required to re-qual.

Didn't mean to step on your toes dune, are you a bubblehead?
No, I spent my hitch on a surface target!! Was a Nuke when I enlisted but graduated "A" school below cut off. The Navy dropped my 2 year extension and I went to the fleet as an E-3 EM. Discharged as an E-5 after four, the best decision I ever made!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hope you are successful in your schools. Just remember, don't get in any sort of trouble and do get the highest grades marks possible. If you happen to mess up the Navy will have you mess-cooking and paint chipping until the end of your enlistment. I saw it happen many times during my 4 years in the Nav.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #24

Guys you really aren't making me feel good about joining the Navy now.

My recruiters are not that bad. They don't bull **** me and even help me out with everything.

You guys worry to damn much.

I'll be fine. If they send me to some other job who the fark cares. I just want to serve the country. If it's Nuke I'm really happy to serve my country.

When they get the contract up I'll take a look at it and get it guaranteed.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Guys you really aren't making me feel good about joining the Navy now.

My recruiters are not that bad. They don't bull **** me and even help me out with everything.

You guys worry to damn much.

I'll be fine. If they send me to some other job who the fark cares. I just want to serve the country. If it's Nuke I'm really happy to serve my country.

When they get the contract up I'll take a look at it and get it guaranteed.
they are not trying to scare you away from the navy. they are being 100% honest with you

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #26
cbw

Read the small print and see that all items in the document can be changed at the Navy's discretion. 500 men go on board a sub and 150 couples come off

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #27

Default Just a little information

Hello Jiro. My name is Matt Bowers and I have been in the Navy as a nuke for 12 years now. I just wanted to let you know that not everything you are hearing on this site is true. First off, if you enlist as a nuke, you will not be reclassified in boot camp unless for some reason you cannot pass an initial background check. This check is fairly quick and easy to get by as long as you have no foreign nationals in your family and have not commited a felony in the past. You will not have to go submarine school in Groton, CT prior to coming to "A" school. I know this because I am currently a division director at Nuclear Field "A" School in Charleston. That bonus that you are talking about... make sure you understand that you will not get that sign on bonus until you complete the nuclear training pipeline which is 1 1/2 years long. The schooling is intense, but the reward for completing this program is well worth it. I probably haven't addressed everything in this post, but if you have any questions about what you will be doing or anything your recruiters tell you, I would be happy to expand.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #28

Aye. No worries man. I like the bonus and I know it's not coming down the pipe for a while. I'll be putting it in my bank account and won't be doing much with it. I don't drink...and I don't smoke...my only hobby is collecting guns lol. That's where a chunk of my pay will be going to anyway.

Might even get a Class 3 license later on in life.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dunerunner, we had similar experiences. When I re-upped (after having done four years USAF) the Navy recruiter signed me up for Nuke Program and Submarines - he had a quota to fill. I made the second highest ASVAB score in my town.
So, I get through OSVET training - a two week program for 'other service veterans' to train them on Navy ways, then go to BE&E in Great Mistakes. Graduated under the cutoff for Nuke by 1.5%. This also bumped me off the Sub list.
Best thing ever! I ended up in "A" school for Communications Electronics (sub guys went to Radar "A" school), and graduated as an E4 ET3. Got sent to an ASW Frigate (USS Ainsworth - FF1090) and got paid to do three years of Carribean Cruises.......
Fun duty! Weekends in Ft. Lauderdale, while spending the week doing refresher training in Gitmo. Then a six-month deployment to the MED/IO.
I was the ship's UHF and Crypto tech. Got an attaboy for coming back with all seven UHF radios still up and humming. When I had signed aboard, the just-departed UHF guy had six of them stripped to pieces on the deck, just off their prior deployment! I got smart and hit the salvage yard just before sailing - scored an entire suite of the same gear - a ship had upgraded to newer equipment. Between beaucoup spares and literally rebuilding bad modules, I kept the boat talking. Captains like that sort of thing.
Small ships rock. Lots of good shore visits. Beats being couped up in a can for three months.
Surface duty is good too. I served on my ship's ASROC Security Force, was Test Equipment PO and Duty Divisional Damage Control PO, and had my two-year loan on my car paid off in six months.
The electronics experience helped my to later get my current State position as Programmer/Analyst. Not as good pay as a Nuke guy, but I'll never glow either.